RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building and flying the LST 1/2A Trainer
Old 02-04-2005, 08:28 AM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A trainer anyone?

Would you consider leaving the d-tube plan up as an older revision or the like, for us D-tube fans?
I know it's probably silly, but I like the way d-tube wings look when covered compared to the 'Herr style' wing with the little top spar in between the leading edge and the main spar. Maybe i shrunk the covering wrong or something in the past, but the Herr style makes the wing have sort of flat places between the ribs where the covering wants to sag down but can't because of the little spar- in a sort of 'connect the dots' way. The airfoil shape turns into a sort of polyhedral between the ribs, and only at the ribs is the cross section really the shape of the rib, where the D-tube type has a nice smooth curved surface from the leading edge to the main spar at all points..

I'm about to cover another herr wing, so maybe I can manage to do better this time- it's probably just me. Maybe I need to 'sink' the little spar into the ribs further -the Herr Style is sure quicker to build.

I just realized that not all Herr engineering designs use the above mentioned little-spar-between-the-leading-edge-and-main wing method, so it's not right to call it the Herr method- the Herr mustang for example sheets that area..
The two herr planes I have are the star crusier and the cessna..