RCU Forums - View Single Post - Alley Cat Racer
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 01:02 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alley Cat Racer

AIRNONDAS:

Mother nature has also done it to use here. A little rain for one day, and then fog, fog fog. It does go away enough by noon to run down to the park and fly electrics, but sort of dampens the rush to get the Alley Cat done. While BS-ing last night with a friend in the skunk works, got out the Jett 50 and 90. The 50 dropped right in. The 90 is going to take some stuff work I am afraid? Looks very close to the firewall and top of the fuse, but dooable? I did notice one possible problem. The center line of the engine does not come out at the center lilne of the spinner area by about 1/4". There is a doubler on top of the wood motor mount that can be ground down to make things come out right for the 50, could not stuff the 90 into the hole without grinding which I do not want to do at this point. Am going to wait and let you guys do the R & D before I attempt the motor installation for the 90. If its a problem, going to make a call to Dub and Bob for a snivle session and see what they can come up with. The airframe does want a larger engine than the 50, the weight of the 60-90 may make CG layout a little of a problem. Jett does make a 70 something in a about 40 case, but its a grunt motor with a very small pipe. You can always abuse the intended motor design and add a rpm pipe, but you always ask for trouble when not follwing the designers general intent of use! My main concern is how she will scoot with all that weight. Don't think the landing gear is up to the task , but can be beefed up if needed. The inverted engine should not be a problem on the flight line unless you dont take care after fueling and you load her up. Will clamp mine off until ready to turn over. Will have things togeather in a week or so, but hold off on the motor. Let me know what you run into during your build, and I will do the same. Best of luck, have a good Christmas?