RCU Forums - View Single Post - vintage rc official old school thread
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2006, 08:59 PM
DaveG55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: vintage rc official old school thread

Hi Kyle,
Welcome back. I'll offer what I can even though I just got back into electric myself.
That set up sounds pretty good even for today. Lots of stuff has changed since the late 80's/early 90's. Well, not really changed but become more refined and sophisticated (hasn't everything?). Lots more plastic in use, lots more electronics and more powerful batterys.
To answer your questions
#1, Nicads and Nimhs are completely interchangable as far as voltage goes. NiCads are old school, less capicity and subject to te "memory effect". Nimh's have a much higher capacity (4200mah is tops right now I think) and not nearly as suseptable to developing a memory.
#2, Almost all rx's now days use bec technology. In fact, some esc's can be damaged by the use of a seperate battery pack. The little bit of runtime you lose powering the rx is more than made up for in the weight savings of not having those extra batterys.

Discgolfer, Thanks for the pictures and the link to the manual. I should be able to post a couple pictures of the work in progress soon.