Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Blade EPP plane help, please.

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Blade EPP plane help, please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 03:26 PM
Stein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade EPP plane help, please.

I have a Blade and just finished it 2 days ago. It cost me almost $600 Canadian to get it in the air not counting my Hitec radio. The thing does not fly like I thought it would it kinda flys like crap. I thought I would love it. I have been flying for over 15 years and can hover and tail touch my Mini 3d fine so I don't think it is me , but anyway. When I fly it and try to turn left it just does not want to turn it goes nose high and just kinda hangs there. I know that the tail has flex is it that witch is causing it not to turn left? It's not that the plane sucks so bad it will hover ok. When you go any faster then 2 mph with the thing I get tail flutter bad.

I am just disappointed with it. I thought it would fly like a dream. When you fly it slow it turns a little better but not what I would like. If I put stiffeners down the side to make it more stiff would that help it turn. Theses questions are to all the Blade owners out there. Oh and when I flew it for the first time I landed ok 2nd flight I landed just a little hard and the motor snapped of the EPP broke. We flew it more and even on the easiest landings the motor would snap off. We broke it off a total of 10 times on landings that were so soft it should never have broke. What I did to fix that is put some wide tape on the front on the epp foam, from the front back about 4!QUOT!. Then put some more fiber tape there to help also. That really helped when we land hard now the motor stays on the EPP does not rip anymore.

What have you Blade owners done to your Blade to make it fly better? Any help would be great. Thanks for the help.

Blade setup:

AXI 2208/34
APC 9x4.7
Phoenix-25 ESC
Apogee 3s 830 mah
Cirrus 5.4 Ultra Micro Servos
GWS 6-Channel Naro Receiver
Old 11-28-2004, 06:14 PM
wildthing7037

Default RE: Blade EPP plane help, please.

Use the rudder on these things to turn. If you try and fly them like a normal plane with alieron and elevator, it just doesnt work. Learn how to use the rudder, and you will find they fly a lot better.
Have a play around with the CG also, try moving the battery around to get it to fly differenly. Flutter means youve got too much slop in your tail surfaces, try and fix thats as much as you can. Full throttle is only for going straight up.

Stefan
Old 11-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Stein

Ya I meant to mention that we used rudder and it did help. There is no slop in the tail just the slop from the EPP foam. I moved the battery from where the hole is when you buy it to about 6!QUOT! back it does hover and fly better there. The cg is almost on the hinge line for the ailerons.

Thanks for the reply.

Brian
Old 11-29-2004, 12:36 AM
wildthing7037

No probelm. When i first tried one of these, i found they fly heaps differently to normal planes, and they are really good to teach you how to use the rudder. If you just give it alieron alone, then they go into this sorta knife edge skid, and dont turn good.
I have recently moved the battery and CG forward on mine, and i now find it flys heaps better, and hovering is still quite easy. With the battery really far back they hover nicely, but fly pretty bad...
Cant really do much about the slop if its just the EPP flexing, just dont fly really fast with it i guess.

Stefan
Old 11-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Stein

Well I have to say that I flew the Blade today and it flys better then I first thought. It helps alot to use the rudder in a turn. If you fly slow and take your time in the turns is is a nice plane. I guess that I was to quick to say it did not fly good but when the motor broke off so many times it was not fun [:@] I have to say I like it now and can't wait to fly it again.

Brian
Old 02-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Flying Scotsman 70

Personally i hate mine! it sucks at normal flight. it flaps its wings like a ornithopter! Actually it looks like steins avatar!! so i'll gat a Ikarus Yak when mine dies untill then ill just have to hover it round my room.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58821.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	228914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18155.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	228915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99964.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	228916  
Old 02-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Flying Scotsman 70

i would like to point out these pictures are at my school where i board![8D]
Old 02-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sure the blade flexes, but it is it´s thing... very durable compared to a shockflyer for ex.

new ones are made from stiffer EPP and should perform better. also keep the CG forward for "pattern" flying
Old 02-16-2005, 10:02 AM
FentonFlyer
My Feedback: (11)

That sounds like a VERY heavy setup for a blade. You've gotta be pushing 10 oz's(283.5g). This will only make the flying characteristics and the tail flex/flutter worse. These planes fly their best @ 6 to 8 oz's. try to lightenen it up a bit and youll be much happier with the way it flies.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:10 PM
kolarshooter
My Feedback: (1)

Fenton's correct. Keep it light. 2 cell lipos, light powerplant, smallest possible electronics.

If you are seeing flutter, you're flying too fast. This is a 3D plane, not a pattern plane. Fly it low and slow...post stall. That's what it was designed to do, and it does it well.

Also, the flexing is not a bad thing...if it's flexing...it's not breaking!

These planes are good for learning to use the left stick. Most flyers seem to take off, and not touch the left stick until they're ready to land.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:27 PM
paulhenley

hi all

this may be an old post but could sombody please confirm that the the 'blade' in disscussion is the same model as the 'micro blade' found on the page below....

http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=4179

thanks all in advance

Henley
Old 01-05-2007, 04:42 PM
kolarshooter

ORIGINAL: paulhenley

hi all

this may be an old post but could sombody please confirm that the the 'blade' in disscussion is the same model as the 'micro blade' found on the page below....

http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=4179

thanks all in advance

Henley
Different plane, old boy.

A chap could click [link=http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=2868]HERE[/link] to view the above-mentioned Blade 3D.

Regards,

Robert
Old 01-05-2007, 04:54 PM
paulhenley

does anybody have any thoughts in the plane i linked to ?

it's just that i have found one RTF for £100

and want to know if it would be any good ?

the planes spec is below

HCS microtex 40w/2 brushless motor + esc, Kokam 7.4v 360mah lipo,2 x blue arrow 4.3g servos for the tail and a 5g servo for ailerons and a micro 4ch rx

any replies would be greatfully read as i am hoping to send money soon but like i say want to know if i am wasting my money or not ....

thanks all again

henley
Old 01-05-2007, 05:00 PM
kolarshooter

Well, I'd consider it IF the electronics are those you'll use in other planes.

For example, I like to have a shockflyer around. I would not hesitate to get a plane RTF which had the AXI 2208 34 or the 2204 motors and associated electronics since I know that, if the plane I bought sucks, I'll have useful gear to mount in the subsequent plane. Whether you love the plane or hate it, you will wear-out the airframe before you wear out the gear mounted therein (which is the expensive part!)

So, the question is one you must pose to yourself: Do you want to have other planes IN THIS EXACT SIZE?

Best of luck!
Old 01-05-2007, 05:14 PM
paulhenley

hi m8 ... thanks again .

am not shure ... could those elecrics fly something else that would be good ... And more the the point wouth the plane be any good ?

thanks agian

Henley