Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

e-flite mini edge 540

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Diver09
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: e-flite mini edge 540

I'm thinking about getting a new motor for my edge. What do you guys think has better performance?

Himax 2025 with cobri gb

or

E-Flight 480 outrunner
Old 06-19-2006, 03:01 AM
Get Real

heres my edge with himax 4200kv gearbox combo. http://media.putfile.com/Mini-Edge-540-65
Old 07-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Get Real

Got a couple Flights in with mini edge today and a short flight with blade cp/a little windy for the heli. heres a short clip of wind http://media.putfile.com/Wind-Conditions-43
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41835.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	487066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56199.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	487067  
Old 07-20-2006, 03:19 PM
mckeet

Hi Guys,
Did you hand launch or take off from the ground. Have just finished mine and am ready to test fly!
Old 08-12-2006, 10:17 AM
cafusin

I am going to try a Himax 3510-1100 motor in the ME. Has someone tried it before?
How can I mount it. Does someone knows if there is a stick adaptor mount for this motor?
Any input regarding this motor will be very appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08-13-2006, 04:34 AM
DMACK
My Feedback: (9)

WOW 20 pages on this thread. Glad to see the intrest in the Mini Edge is still going strong. I've been gone for a while. I guess I have mine for a year now. Man how the time flies. How many flights, I couldn't even guess. I moved to a new city, got a new job, working on a baby, but the sky is always there. I think I'll get up early and go flyin tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:19 PM
Logan826

Just wondering if anyone has tried a warp 4 5 turn on this plane ?
Thanks,
Dan
Old 09-01-2006, 07:19 PM
theradioflyer

I just got one and put a E-flite 400 outrunner on it an I am using TP 1320's. I think I've got it balance well but she needs to be moving to fly[] I kinda had better hopes for this one but I still love flying it. Anyone had any luck getting good knife edge out of it?

Thanks

Jay
Old 09-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Sean McDonnell
My Feedback: (4)

Good knife edge from the Mini Edge???

I'm suprised people are still messing with this rock! As someone stated so brilliantly in an earlier post; the Mini Edge is a flying turd! Personally, I think its quite a complement to refer to the min edge as a FLYING anything. Theres thousands of posts here that should convince anyone to steer clear of the mini edge. The mini edge is by far the worst and most unstable flying electric out there. How could e-flite and Mike McConville get this plane so wrong. Theres planes out there now that float across the length of the runway with virtually no power, that knife edge like a dream and hover and perform beautiful harrier rolls. Throw away your mini edge or sell it to someone else if you can handle the guilt. Than buy a PA Katana Mini and you'll see what an electric 3D model is supposed to fly like.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:06 PM
R.C. ROB

and where do we get one of these please?
Old 09-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Get Real

ive had my mini edge for quite some time now and with many different set ups etc.. its still one of my favorite planes. ive stated earlier in the post and do so often in many posts for planes or helis i own.. aircraft take set up to fly well for a pilots particular flying style etc. my mini edge couples twards the belly in knife edge and needs a little up elevator and aileron imput.. some may expect a plane to fly aerobatics perfectly without any set up or flying skill.. i learned early on that no plane will please everybody. the edge is a very capable 3D plane with a skilled pilot at the sticks.. some of us have to work a little harder to make the plane 3D well. because the edge has a weight of 22-25 ounces usually with about 300 square inches of wing area it doesnt float like a foamy.. this is a trade off and it helps the edge to tumble and do fast violent moves very well.. like tumbles and knife edge spins etc but makes hovering and harriers a little more difficult for less skilled pilots like myself. so far my best set up for 3d has been a gearbox set up with a tp1320 it has very good power and throttle resposne and drops 2 oz of weight.. mine came in at just over 22 ounces with this set up and floats well.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Sean McDonnell
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: R.C. ROB

and where do we get one of these please?
Try your local hobby store. If they don't carry them, go to:
www.Atlantahobby.com or www.e-flightline.com. They both distribute the plane in the U.S. for Precision Aerobatics which is in Australia. You can go directly to www.precisionaerobatics.com if you want. There is about ten different videos of the katana mini at PA's website. After watching the videos, theres no doubt which plane flys better. I have both and the Katana is in a league of its own. Trust me. Or you can order one and see for yourself.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:05 PM
theradioflyer

Get Real, I think your right on with the weight and being a tumbler! I love the way this thing flip flops it's tail. I realize that she doesn't float but I like the way it tracks through the air. God help me if it ever looses power though! Sean , I'm going to have to look into that Katana as well. I feel like you can never have enough planes and helis for that matter
Old 09-07-2006, 01:23 AM
Get Real

i think some are dissapointed that the mini edge flys more like a real plane than a foamy. ive never had a plane or heli fly exactly the way i wanted it to after it was built/theres always some minor additional set up to get it to fly exactly the way i want it to. for those that want the mini edge to float better try a 1320 pack.. you get 10 minutes of flight with the gearbox set up and a very noticable difference in the wingloading department. my edge flys very slowly without stalling etc.. if i had to guess under 10 mph just on the wing and even slower in a slightly higher angle of attack. ive been considering probally 5 planes and trying to just get one.. the katana looks nice and has a similar weight to edge with an additional 75+ square inches of wing area so it will float better for those more use to flying foamys. foamys are cool but there much easier to fly and just dont have the speed characteristics that built up plane's have and dont perform fast vilolent moves as well. BTW theradioflyer.. you posted your using a 400 outrunner.. if thats the case your quite under powered.. the 450 outrunner is decent for aerobatics and regular flight.. the 400 4200kv inrunner gearbox set up is good for 3D and has decent top end/the 480 outrunner does all well but will really work a 1320 pack hard if you dont use care with your throttle and is safer to use with a 2100 pack.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:49 PM
theradioflyer

It is a bit under powered but does hover. With this set-up it's very lite! I'm using the 920kv 400 and a 12x3.8. What I was very impressed with was the way this flies like a bigger plane. I've had a dozen foamies and I'm glad the Edge flies like it does. Tacking is superb and I have it balanced in an 45 inverted degree upline and holds perfectly.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:41 AM
Get Real

theradioflyer/ive used that same motor in my yak 54f and ultimate fx 3d that i sold with plenty of power for a 13 to 17 ounce plane. if i could lighten up the edge airframe enough to get it down to 17-18 ounces with the 400 outrunner id try it. greg covey of rcu tryed a small outrunner light set up but performance looked marginal for the mixed type of flying i do.. i think it was a slightly smaller outrunner than your running. the lightest ive had my edge has been 22 ounces with popular set ups. ive had the edge for quite some time and its seen many set ups... i may try and run an ultralight set up for kicks if i can get it near 17 ounces/probally with lightening of airframe as well as recovering it. whats the auw on your edge ?
Old 09-09-2006, 07:05 PM
theradioflyer

I don't and wish I had a good scale. I have no idea what I'm at. Any suggestions on what type of scale (hopefully cheap) I should be looking for?
Old 09-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Get Real

theradioflyer/ heres a link to the one i use http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...2CV2V2&afsrc=1 if you search google for it youll probally find it at an even lower price. it works well for weighing parts planes etc and is very accurate/weighs up to 5lbs in grams or ounces.

Name:	Rm38459.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	521704  
Old 09-11-2006, 10:35 PM
theradioflyer

That's not too bad of a price. Maybe they'll let me bring my plane in and "test drive" it for free I've got alot of irons in the fire right now, home improvement, hunting season coming up, it's hard to alocate money right now
Old 09-15-2006, 05:49 PM
theradioflyer

I went and got that scale. I'm at 22.5 onces and like you said she floats well. I'm going to call cobri on Monday and get the himax/gearbox set-up. I think I'm going to go with the Himax 2025-4200kv like Get Real suggested. I have balanced and dinamically balanced the Edge so far and the next thing to do is work on the thrust line which I'll do after installing the new motor. This is a great flying plane. With it balanced laterally I can fly inverted hands off, no negetive push Thanks again Get Real! Here's a pic. That's my son behind the stick.

Name:	Qo40231.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	524540  
Old 09-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Get Real

theradioflyer/looks very nice.. your little future pilot should enjoy the added power of the himax cobri combo /the weight gain will bring auw to the 23 oz range/ still fairly light for this plane with quite a bit more power than your current outrunner/ also right thrust is built in to the stick mount and angles should be fairly close without any adjustment. not sure about your sponsorship though/icehouse is my preferred sponsor when not flying .
Old 09-15-2006, 07:26 PM
theradioflyer

I built a box for the outrunner and put a little to much right thrust in it so she wanders off to the right in the upline. BTW, to anyone interested in gettting the Edge for cheap, check out www.Hobby-Sports.com. I got mine from them for $74.99 and they carry all of the replacement parts for it I think this plane is very much worth the money.
Oh, Icehouse is great, too... of course the best brand I've ever had was a free one
Old 09-18-2006, 06:08 PM
theradioflyer

Hey guy's, I've been looking around at different power set-ups and wanted to keep in mind future planes as well. The PA katana is a likely candidate for the next so I wanted to see what was best between the 2. Through e-flightline's website I found a video with the preferred power set-up for both the mini Edge and the Katana. For those who think the mini Edge flies like crap, check out what Kyle W can do with it.
http://www.e-flightline.com/movie.htm
Old 09-19-2006, 05:11 AM
Get Real

ORIGINAL: theradioflyer

Hey guy's, I've been looking around at different power set-ups and wanted to keep in mind future planes as well. The PA katana is a likely candidate for the next so I wanted to see what was best between the 2. Through e-flightline's website I found a video with the preferred power set-up for both the mini Edge and the Katana. For those who think the mini Edge flies like crap, check out what Kyle W can do with it.
http://www.e-flightline.com/movie.htm
theres a lot to consider if you want a flexable power system.. your limited with your 1320s.. the gearbox set ups are very efficient and wont kill your 1320s.. you can squeeze a lot of performace out of the gearbox set ups through different gear ratios and props and motors especially if you have bigger 3s packs. the cobri with the 5300 can fly a lot of different airframes well but you need packs with higher discharge rates to power it and not destroy packs. that power set up flys 20 to 30+ ounce planes like a rocket.. and can pull a lot of amps make a lot of watts. watts= horsepower.. 746 watts is 1 hp 150-200watts per pound is ideal for most 3d pilots.. very good power to weight ratio. the 4200 will power quite a few airframes and will work well with 1320s. nitro is a lot easier... big saito 4 stroke or some other high power 2 stroke and your done.. the electrics are very flexable in power set ups. you may want to take into consideration of your power set up the current line of bigger than mini edge but smaller than .40 nitro electric planes. theres some really nice ones out there and more on the way but they require more power and bigger 3s and 4s packs. i think the trade off is worth it myself and plan to get another of the larger electrics like my current extra 300. thing is besides needing 3s or 4s packs you need 250 to 500 watts to power them depending on the performance you like and your flying style. heres a couple links.. you probally have seen this first one http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/yak54e.html and this second one i like even more http://www.sebastianosilvestri.it/frame/index1.htm check out the video of it. im sure you know the addage.. bigger flys better.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:03 PM
ca$hey

Hay dudes iv only had mine a week about 10 flights its a blast
Park 480 takes care of the tail heavy thing protecs ultra light sevos,,gws 6rec,,,10.5x5.5 sf prop 710 grams 300 watts it loves it I took the down thrust out ,,,CG 15mm back it floats like a foamy The only thing you got to be ready for is the drop of the right wing when it gets to slow the snap is unreal,,,,TR what can i say it will spin as fast as you want it too
cheers jonney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.