Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

e-flite mini edge 540

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 08:36 PM
shotgun
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e-flite mini edge 540

OK guys, just finished building the e-flite mini edge 540 and I have to say that it was a disappointing project. I have built everyting that e-flite has put out, and some of them twice. The edge started off bad and went downhill. The ailerons were slotted and then covered which made it difficult to find the hinge locations especially since there are at least two thicknesses of covering at the leading edge. The landing gear bolts were only slightly off while one of the wing bolt holes had to be opened up about 1/8 of an inch to mount the wing. The elevators were twisted. I was able to get it almost flat, but it is still slightly warped. I installed the Park 400 4200kv motor and opted to go with the rudder servo in the tail. Even with the receiver and esc as far forward as it would go in the fuse, the plane was tail heavy. Had to add about 1/4 oz. of lead in the cowling. Speaking of the cowling, the stripes don't line up very well. With the stock gearbox, the lower standoff lugs had to be shaved for the cowling to go back far enough to get the prop to mount properly.I could go on about other problems, but my point is that as long as I waited for this plane to come out, I expected the quality to be better than what I received. I have built two of the mini funtanas and we are still enjoying them. Maybe I just got a dud. For $99.00 it's still a neat little plane. Maybe it will fly better than it assembles.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:09 AM
P51ACE

Default RE: e-flite mini edge 540

the edge does fly better even though mine crashed on maden due to a faulty receiver but for ythe short time i had it up it felt really smooth the hinges are off a little but i cut them right and their fine i had a mini-funtana before and it flew nice but the edge feels better ony got a few rolls and a slight hover before it flipped over and hit the ground
Old 09-15-2005, 08:42 PM
jerda
My Feedback: (1)

I finished my edge yesterday. I would agree that hinging is a pain in the butt because of the covering. The ailerons went on pretty easy, but the elevator and rudder were a bit tricky. The mini funtana went together quicker tho(i have 2 too but im still pleased with the overall plane. the landing gear appears as though it will work better (both funtanas ripped off) I had no problem with balancing issue, but i did use the pull pull rudder. The cowling fit on with no major problems(i learned the trick of tracing out the screw holes on paper and taping it to the plane, then you can put the cowl on and see exactly where to screw) I think the plane looks awesome! It was harder to build than the funtana, but i think it was worth it.

I havent had a chance to fly yet.. but i ran it inside with my himax 2025 -5300kv , phoenix 35, with a 2100 lipo, 12-6 prop...i think it will easily hover at 1/2 throttle...hopefully find out soon. Did i mention how good it looks?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Scott Dilley
My Feedback: (3)

Mine went together easily, and mounting the rudder servo pull-pull I added no weight. It flies nice, too. I did, however, strip my gearbox.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:24 AM
Kirt

mine went together just like I figured it would, I hate ARF's I would rather build, the only issue that I had was the horizontal stab was way off do I had to sand to get that parallel with the wing, which the instructions clearly say to check.

Can't wait to fly it
Old 09-18-2005, 09:54 AM
P51ACE

finally flew mine after putting the antenna routed through the top, no interference now first flight taxied down the runway turned hit the power aND WENT RIGHT INTO A HOVER wow! it hovers great knife edge was ok but couldve been better but spins were nice and it flew pretty fast also had to land fast but that was to be expected. overall im impressed although i could not get the new S75 eflite servos to center so i had to much differential to do proper axial rolls without heading towards the ground im using these on ailerons and hs-55s on elevator and pull-pull rudder which by the way works great
Old 09-18-2005, 04:57 PM
shotgun

I also had to work on the horizontal stab as well as the vertical stab mount. Oh well, that's ARFs for you. Anyway, now I have a new problem that I need some help with.We currently have seven electric planes, six of them with GWS 6 channel receivers. I know that some people have had problems with them, but we have been very successful with them. I took the motor, cc25 esc, and gws receiver out of my Tribute to put in the Edge. First trip to the field, it would not range check. Got 15 feet from the plane and it went crazy. Relocated some stuff, but to no avail. Changed the esc and the receiver with brand new components, and it still messed up. I have fooled around with this thing for the last week, and still can't get the jitters out of it.I borrowed a friend's Futaba receiver to see if it would range check, and it did. Unfortunately he had to go and I didn't get to fly it. Has anybody else had a problem with a GWS receiver in the edge. This same exact setup works in the mini funtana. Is there something else I should be looking at? I really don't want to invest in a different receiver, but I may have too. Thanks for any input.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:05 PM
gwh

Shotgun,

Have you tried any of your other GWS receivers? If you used the Pull-Pull setup, are any of the wires near the Rx or antenna?
Old 09-18-2005, 08:02 PM
P51ACE

ive had some gws receivers do that
Old 09-18-2005, 08:12 PM
shotgun

Yes, I have have tried three different GWS 6 channel receivers, and even changed the crystal. I rerouted the antenae several times. I've moved the servo extensions, the esc location, the routing of the motor leads,and the location of the receiver itself. It's really wierd because all of the receivers are working perfectly in my Tribute, Tensor, and Mini Funtana. Looks like I'm in for a new Futaba or Hitec unless somebody has an idea.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:26 PM
P51ACE

it might be the pull-pull itself take a pic of your electronics setup to pm me and ill tell ya
Old 09-19-2005, 05:50 AM
Scott Dilley

The GWS recievers have a hard time rejecting noise. Try a hitec electron. they seem to work well.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:28 AM
MSP1957

Started my Edge last night. I agree, the aileron hinging was a pain. Also, the anti-rotation pins in the wing do not line up well. Will be putting a Himax 2025/5300 with Cobri 6.3:1 GB, CC25 (updated) and Tanic 2220 3s, Electron 6 or FMA 5 RX. Not sure of prop selection, thinking of 11x4.7, any prop suggestions? Thanks.

Michael
Old 09-23-2005, 06:42 PM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys, just picked one up from work, spur of the moment thing, also got the e-flite 400 4200kv motor, hope it works good with unlimited vertical at our mile high.

Will post some pics commin up here
Old 09-23-2005, 10:38 PM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

well, got it cracked open with a little bit of work and a dry assembly for parts fit, so far so good!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42523.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	328446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54479.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	328447  
Old 09-24-2005, 06:43 PM
DMACK

I think an APC 11x7 SF is the sweet prop for this plane. Plenty of power to hover, but it doesn't churn as much wind on the down lines. It just seems to have a better ballance than the 12x6 sf
Old 09-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Arthur K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got mine yesterday put it together and mine was perfect I went with thepull pull but I think I made the mistake of useing epoxy to glue the tail surfaces mine is very tail heavy I have not flown yet I am useing the hi max 4200 Is this a good match for this plane or should I go with another motor also what size cells are you guys useing I need to by a few pacs
Old 09-24-2005, 10:59 PM
DMACK

I had the Himax on my MF and it is a very similar plane. It will fly it fine, even hover it, but not with much pullout. At least not as much as I like. If you just wan't to pattern fly its plenty. To hard core 3D, my favorite combo is the AON T2415-4900 with a cobri gear box. The motor is about $60, the gear box is $29. With an APC 11x7 SF it puts out 265 watts, at 23 amps, on a 3s1p 2170 apogee lipo.

Any 3s1p (3 cell 1 pack, 11.1 volts) 2000 mah to about 2400 mah will work.

This plane flies much better with the CG near the back of its range. At about 60mm. With the CG near the front of its range the plane snapped out of loups badly, and was quite unstable. With the CG back it tracked straight, had nice tight loops, and was very predictable.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:41 AM
rmflyfish
My Feedback: (5)

Mine's about done, but I haven't done much building in a very long time, what are you guys using for gluing the canopy's down nowadays. Also wondering about the catch design on the hatch, anybody consider pulling the wire catch off and using magnets?

Alignment issues: wings went on pretty straight, but after reading a bit, I think I better put an incident meter on it and make sure their really straight. Ailerons where slotted badly for hinges... make sure you check them before gluing. My tail feathers lined up pretty straight, just minor sanding for the horizontal stab. I ended up re-shrinking most of the kit, my covering was loose right outta the box.

haven't installed the fuse servo's yet, but planed to go with both in the rear, considering a 2100 Mah battery and an aluminum spinner. Hope it balances out well. Guess I see shortly!

Hope to fly it next week sometime

E-flite 400 4200 w/ Cobri 6.6-1 GB
Mile High RC 2100 Mah 3 cell (What a deal!)
New CC 30A SEC
HS55's
11X7 SF ?

BP

Old 09-25-2005, 06:33 PM
Arthur K

well here it is I got the kokam 2000ma pack and the balance was perfect took it out to the field and had my first electric dead stick the gears on the stock drive were cleaned right out the landing was efortless came home put on a new set of gears and went out to the local school yard took off began to trim all of a suden took a nose dive I coud not pull the nose up it pankaced in at 45 degree with no power the cowl is toast but the rest of the plane I just fixed
I am begining to think these things are just a pain in the but
maybee I will stick to my 42% edge a lot less hastle
Old 09-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Futaba Owner

Hey does anybody know where I can get product reviews or more info on the edge besides horizone hobby?
Old 09-26-2005, 06:24 PM
jerda

this thing is a rush to fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43042.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	329659  
Old 09-27-2005, 08:49 AM
PYR0BURN23

i like my mini funtana more. i think it's just a more stable airplane and it will do whatever you tell it to do. just my .2 cents.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:57 AM
DrDeath

I have purchased one of these after seeing one at my field a couple of weeks ago. I finished installing the radio equipment and was waiting for the motor to arrive at my local hobby shop. I am using Hs 55 for aileron and elevator and using the new Eflight servo for the rudder. It is a little faster and a little more trouque, but doesn't have the same amount of throw as the Hitec. Here is my setup.

E-flite 400 4200 Stock gear box
Castle Creations Phoenix-35 amp
3 HS-55
1 E-flite S75 Servo Rudder

Haven't picked a battery yet but I am leaning toward 1320 mAh battery. I have read that this will get you at least 8 minutes of flying time. Will do a little more research. Hope to finish this plane up tonight. I have to mount the motor and balance her. I went with pull/pull for the rudder. Needed the practice for my bigger planes on setting up pull/pull

DD
Old 09-28-2005, 08:54 AM
ken graham
My Feedback: (10)

i picked on up from the lhs, it's got a axi2808/24 with a pheniox 35 ecs. i was trying a thunder power 2100 mh lipo but the esc would cut the motor off to soon. reprogramed the esc and it worked alot better. do have 2 tanic battery packs on the way both are 2500mh should get alot better flight times. i called castle creations and they said that the tanic batteries are alot better battery for the money. can't wait to get back out with this plane....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.