Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight E-YAK!!!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Extreme Flight E-YAK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Mike Parsons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight E-YAK!!!

The packs ship half charged. So if you havent charged them before, that could be the culprit, they were hitting lvc. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:32 AM
RCAV8R1
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: aerobatix1

OK - I'll reset the "default" settings tomorrow and see what happens. I just charged 2 packs and they took 2223mah & 2297mah. These are the 2150 4S packs from EF. Seems strange that 3-4 minutes of test runs with the watt meter would comsume so many mah.

I'll post results from the reset of the ESC and more test runs on the freshly charged packs.

Oh yeah, I am runing the 12x6 prop.

Thanks
aerobatix1

What is really wierd is that you are pushing 2223 and 2297 into a 2150mah packs!
So you are really taxing the batteries!

How did you connect your voltage regulator to your speed controller?

Steve
Old 10-24-2006, 08:16 AM
torqmeister

When you are testing with the wattmeter hooked up, are you running the motor at WOT the whole time ( 6 min )? If so, there is your problem, I'll bet. On the electric motors I run, when I'm at WOT, I'm in the "burst range" of the battery, & I'm only suppose to run it at burst a max of 5 sec. If you are testing at WOT for extended times, the batt will discharge quickly. But then flying with proper throttle management you'll get probably 10 min plus, no problem.

Just an idea, hope it helps.

OK - I'll reset the "default" settings tomorrow and see what happens. I just charged 2 packs and they took 2223mah & 2297mah. These are the 2150 4S packs from EF. Seems strange that 3-4 minutes of test runs with the watt meter would comsume so many mah.

I'll post results from the reset of the ESC and more test runs on the freshly charged packs.

Oh yeah, I am runing the 12x6 prop.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Mike Parsons

My theory is that Vendors under rate the packs MAH to boast a higher C rating. Most packs will take considerable amount more mah than advertised.
ORIGINAL: RCAV8R1

aerobatix1

What is really wierd is that you are pushing 2223 and 2297 into a 2150mah packs!

Steve
Old 10-24-2006, 09:13 AM
wings19

ORIGINAL: Mike Parsons
Check [link=http://higherplaneproductions.com/VIPPage4.html]here[/link] for a couple of different videos. One on 3S, 14X7 and one 4S 12X6
Anyone that is running the 4s setup with the smaller prop... I watched a video from Higher Plane(not the one on EF website) and the guy in the video said it was hard to hover it with the smaller prop. He couldn't get a hover locked in but in his flight with the 3s pack and larger prop he did it with no problem.

Anyone find that it is harder to hover with the smaller prop and 4s setup? He says it at the end of the video.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

He also states (Fred Midgett) that it could have been noseheavy because he didn't adjust the battery location from his 3s setup... and I think this might prove to be the case.

Larger props are indeed nice for hovering but they also induce greater roll tendency.

When the sweet spot CG is attained with either prop I wouldn't think hovering would be harder or easier either way. Everyone has preferences to what prop feels best... and that along with CG is probably more a factor than whether a 1" bigger prop performas hovering better.

The fact that you can fly it either way 3s/4s with two different props is a nice feature... and will allow anyone who wishes to, to try it out for themselves. When it comes to props and performance... there is a serious amount of personal taste and feel at work.

With that said I haven't been able to try either yet... but will for sure run it both ways to see what I personally prefer. But I will also make sure I find the sweet spot rearward CG and make sure that both setups balance right there.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:34 AM
wings19

ORIGINAL: Maudib
He also states (Fred Midgett) that it could have been noseheavy because he didn't adjust the battery location from his 3s setup... and I think this might prove to be the case.
Yeah thats what I thought when I was watching the video and then at the end he commented about the prop... I didn't hear the comment about the CG but thanks. I can't wait to get this baby up in the air!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Mike Parsons

I am with David, I am going to try both starting with the 3S 14X7 and then moving to the 4S 12X6. Hopefully this Sunday at our fly-in
Old 10-24-2006, 11:56 AM
RCAV8R1

ORIGINAL: Mike Parsons

My theory is that Vendors under rate the packs MAH to boast a higher C rating. Most packs will take considerable amount more mah than advertised.
ORIGINAL: RCAV8R1

aerobatix1

Steve
Mike,

I agree with the over rating of Mah, but usally when you pull that many amps out of a pack your at LVC or even lower.

Steve
Old 10-24-2006, 06:49 PM
aerobatix1

Alright, here's an update on my situation. Freshly charged (second charge on new packs from EF) packs. Attempted to "Reset to Default" settings on the Airboss ESC and it seems to skip/miss (8) Reset to Default. By this I mean that the tones for that setting adjustment (8) are not coming from the ESC. It seems to skip past that setting adjustment tone and goes directly to (9).

I test ran the model simulating throttle control I would expect during a typical flight and timed the run to stop at 6 minutes exactly so I can recharge that pack and measure how many mah go back into that flight profile. I am charging the pack now and will post back the mah input during charge.

During this 6 minute run I start the timer and monitor the watt meter, advancing throttle to about half, with slight up/down throttle adjustments as would be expected during a normal aerbatic routine. This did include very short full throttle bursts simulating uplines in a sequence flight. Less than 2 minutes of this type throttle management the model would not take full throttle without "pulsing down" the power (apparently the LVC pwer reduction). This is what seems very odd to me since I would expect that this would be about the time I would want to start some 3D and Hovering manuevers. With the current performance I wouldn't attemt to do 3D since it seems that the motor would be able to provide full throttle as needed to pull out of a hover or correct and botched manuever.

I've been flying foamies for about 4 years and have many hours of fun with the brushless/lipo poweer systems and I've never encountered this type of performance. From watching the videos online from the EF website and Wayne Geffon I can't imagine that their systems are performing like mine. I'll keep looking and trying any suggestions from the list and I'd love to hear from Wayne! But I'll hope to speak with Chris at EF on Monday I understand he is out of the country till next week.

I truly do not think I'm being unrealistic in term of performance expectations, but Chris at EF would be the expert to set me straight. Until then I remain disappointed...
Old 10-24-2006, 06:54 PM
aerobatix1

Let me clarify my last statement of disappointment.....

I am disappointed with the power/performance I am experiencing from the motor-bec-esc-battery setup. The model itself is truly amazing in it's quality and design work. I am very impressed with the model and I'm simply wanting the performance I saw in the videos and thought I was buying with the complete combo. Again, I'm simply looking for the corrective action to get my setup ready for the unlimited performance as demonstrated in the videos!

Old 10-24-2006, 08:39 PM
wings19

What kind of flight times are you guys getting with your 4s setups? 2100 - 2200 mah battery?
Old 10-25-2006, 07:05 AM
RCAV8R1

Alright, here's an update on my situation. Freshly charged (second charge on new packs from EF) packs. Attempted to "Reset to Default" settings on the Airboss ESC and it seems to skip/miss (8) Reset to Default. By this I mean that the tones for that setting adjustment (8) are not coming from the ESC. It seems to skip past that setting adjustment tone and goes directly to (9).

I test ran the model simulating throttle control I would expect during a typical flight and timed the run to stop at 6 minutes exactly so I can recharge that pack and measure how many mah go back into that flight profile. I am charging the pack now and will post back the mah input during charge.

During this 6 minute run I start the timer and monitor the watt meter, advancing throttle to about half, with slight up/down throttle adjustments as would be expected during a normal aerbatic routine. This did include very short full throttle bursts simulating uplines in a sequence flight. Less than 2 minutes of this type throttle management the model would not take full throttle without "pulsing down" the power (apparently the LVC pwer reduction). This is what seems very odd to me since I would expect that this would be about the time I would want to start some 3D and Hovering manuevers. With the current performance I wouldn't attemt to do 3D since it seems that the motor would be able to provide full throttle as needed to pull out of a hover or correct and botched manuever.

I've been flying foamies for about 4 years and have many hours of fun with the brushless/lipo poweer systems and I've never encountered this type of performance. From watching the videos online from the EF website and Wayne Geffon I can't imagine that their systems are performing like mine. I'll keep looking and trying any suggestions from the list and I'd love to hear from Wayne! But I'll hope to speak with Chris at EF on Monday I understand he is out of the country till next week.

I truly do not think I'm being unrealistic in term of performance expectations, but Chris at EF would be the expert to set me straight. Until then I remain disappointed...

aerobatix1

I would fly it first and see how it performs, it the performance is not there then start isolating the problem. The prop is going to unload while flying and hopefully no LVC will happen. Has far as not having full throttle for a blotched maneuver, do the 3D stuff high enough that if it does cut-out you will have altitude too get out of the problem. If it doesn't cutout fly for 5 min with some short to medium full throttle runs land, and check your voltage and charge and see how many amps you put back into your pack.

Honestly I would never run a plane on the ground for any extended period (especially to the point of a discharged pack) of time because the motor and speed controller are not getting the proper airflow for cooling.

Hopefully everything works out when you get it up in the air.

Steve
Old 10-25-2006, 05:25 PM
pfoot748
My Feedback: (22)

I'm planning on using the Himax 3516-0840 on 4 cell with 12x6 prop when my Yak arrives. The specs on this and the Torque sold with the combos are very similar. Anyone have any input or experience with this setup. thanks
Old 10-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Mike Rojas
My Feedback: (2)

I've got an AXi 2820/12 and a Jetti JES 40-3p will it work in this plane?
Old 10-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Mike Parsons

Mike,
It will fly it fine. More Sport/IMAC than 3D though. On a 3S you can turn a 12X6 for around 400 watts. You might be able to get away with a 13X6.5, but I would measure the amperage before putting a flight on it.
ORIGINAL: Mike Rojas

I've got an AXi 2820/12 and a Jetti JES 40-3p will it work in this plane?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Mike Rojas

Should I just order it with the motor and speed control that they offer with it, I only fly 3D so I don't want power to be marginal.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Mike Parsons

I would recommend it if you are looking for 3D. On 3S with the 14X7 performance is good, on a 4S and 12X6 it is insane.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:25 PM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

aerobatix1, any luck finding out what the problem was?

it sounds like maybe the speed control itself may just be defective and going to cut-off at a much higher voltage than it should....
Old 10-31-2006, 06:35 PM
pfoot748

Just put the first flight on mine this evening with 4s and 12x6. Flew for 7 minutes and am now charging to see how much battery was used. Canopy came off in flight with a not so violent inside snap, even with a exit hole in the bottom of the fuse. Canopy attachment needs to be improved for sure. Plane was a little tailheavy so some cg adjustment will hopefully get it flying a little better. I know one thing, they are a handfull with no canopy on them along with some wind. Hope to get more flights in soon!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:14 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just ordered the complete package last night. this is the first electric i've been excited about in a long time.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Hey Riotgear... good deal... wait til you get it.. it is SOOOOOOO sexy.... and bigger than you think.

Pfoot, maybe a little square of Blenderm, clear packing tape or even cellophane tape at the rear of the canopy onto the turtledeck is all it needs?
Old 11-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: pfoot748

Just put the first flight on mine this evening with 4s and 12x6. Flew for 7 minutes and am now charging to see how much battery was used. Canopy came off in flight with a not so violent inside snap, even with a exit hole in the bottom of the fuse. Canopy attachment needs to be improved for sure. Plane was a little tailheavy so some cg adjustment will hopefully get it flying a little better. I know one thing, they are a handfull with no canopy on them along with some wind. Hope to get more flights in soon!
The canopy on my EF Extra (same magnets) would come off once or twice usually on a negative snap into the wind. I just carried a little roll of masking tape and put a 1 inch piece at the back (top) of the canopy and the problem stopped. Once I landed the plane, I would take the tape off and no one would know the difference. I couldn't see the tape when I was flying.

Richard
Old 11-01-2006, 05:41 PM
pfoot748

I thought about the tape at the rear of the canopy also, but last night ended up fitting a small piece of velcro between the 2 rear magnets recessed down a bit so that the magnets still catch and I have flown it 3 more times with no problems of it coming off. Moving the cg has helped quite a bit and she's now flying great. I have been flying for approx 13-14 minutes on the 4s 2150mah and using about 1800 mah and with the himax motor I'm using the power is awesome. I'm sure the torque motor fairs just as well. I find it not too difficult at all to hover with the 12X6. I do think I will try a 3s pack just to compare the two. With the 4s the battery is just in front of the wingtube and sticks maybe 1/2 inch or so into the motor box. I just wonder how far forward the 3s would have to be to get the same balance point. That is balancing slightly aft of center of the cg range.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:51 PM
picard1

I'm almost finished with mine. What CG are you guys using?. I need to do the vents in the bottom still and last night when I put on the wings one of the nuts pulled out and I barely tightend the wing bolt...

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.