Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Typhoon 2 by ParkZone

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 03:53 PM
RU4JESUS2 FALCONGTS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Typhoon 2 by ParkZone

THATS GREAT TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR NEW PLANE
I ALSO HAD A PROBLEM I CHANGED THE RX
LET US KNOW HOW IT FLYS THANKS FALCON
Old 10-07-2007, 01:49 PM
cjshaker

I've been repairing my original Typhoon2. I hit so hard that I managed to break the black
flexible cover over the battery. I pulled one of the plastic Popsicle sticks loose from the
wing (glued back in with Sumo poly glue), and loosened up the carbon wing spars in both
wings.

I managed to ruin one of my aileron servos with the thin foamsafe CA I was using to wick
into the wing around the carbon fiber spar. It leaked into the servo bay on the wing, and
into the servo itself. Luckily, I've got a spare on hand.

I'm putting the three rotor custom CDR cool wind outrunner on the airplane during this
repair. Will post pictures later.

Chris Shaker

[quote]ORIGINAL: cjshaker

I haven't tried to fly the new airplane yet, but will soon. Broke the nose off my old one again,
hotdogging at low altitude, and got 'dumb thumbs'. Cartwheeled into the ground at high speed.

Thank you Parkzone!
Chris Shaker

[quote]ORIGINAL: cjshaker
Old 10-07-2007, 08:08 PM
cjshaker

Got the CustomCDR.com cool wind triple mounted on the Typhoon2. I used the parts mentioned below. Shortened the
stick mount to the correct length. Secured the two mounts together with one screw and canopy glue, so it can be
removed if needed. The two lower mount holes actually lined up with the existing gear box mount holes, but that puts the
motor up too high. Used a scratch awl to start new holes for two of the gear box screws, about 3/8" lower than the existing
lower mount holes, and used a couple of button head screws to secure the upper two mount legs. I used some plastic
tubing to cut stand offs to give it a little down and right thrust. Got the motor pretty well centered in the cowl opening.

I am using an 11x4.7 SF prop on it so far. Seems to run smooth and powerful. Draws 20 amps at full throttle, which is
the motor spec. CustomCDR recommends an 11x7 prop for that motor, but it definitely overloads the motor on the ground.

Haven't flown it yet, but it's just about ready to test fly.

Chris Shaker

ORIGINAL: cjshaker

No, he didn't suggest how to do it, but I noticed these parts on Horizon Hobby, and they should make the job easy:

Firewall Stick Mount, E-Flite EFLM1916:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1916

Outrunner Stick Mount, E-Flite EFLM1915:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1915

My instructor was recommending an E-Flite Park 450 or Park 480 outrunner.

Chris Shaker
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50735.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	778357   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45074.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	778358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76706.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	778359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83742.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	778360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn78845.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	778361  
Old 10-08-2007, 02:38 PM
BryFlyGuy67

ORIGINAL: flyingace451

The Typhoon2 has "normal" radio gear. They seem to have ditched some stuff, but the best thing is the servos aren't crappy anymore. Metal geared and digital...sounds good to me. And no, the entire plane is molded from "Z Foam" a very stiff yet extremely durable (ask the stryker guys about that) foam and the wings are hollow and ribbed just like the old typhoon, except the plastic covering seems a wee bit tighter. But that may just vary plane to plane instead of Typhoon to Typhoon2. I fly 3D foamies with 800mah lipos and get 10 minutes of hard 3D, so 1800 DOES NOT SUCK WHAT SO EVER. Here are the specs of the 2 next to each other...The one with the better results on each is bolded unless they are too close to the same thing (to compare what makes the Typhoon2 better than the Typhoon)

Typhoon Typhoon2
Wingspan: 39.5" 39.4"
Length: 34" 36.6"
AUW: 26 oz 26 oz
Motor: BL400-15T BL400-15T
Radio: 4ch FM 4ch FM ZX10 (bit better quality)
Servos: 4 POS 4 mg/digital (yes I say POS and I mean POS)
ESC: PKZ 20 AMP Eflite 25AMP
Battery: 9cell 1000 nihm 3s 1800 lipo
Flight Time: 8-10 13-17 (flight time unknown but based on battery specs)

And that is most of it straight from the website. As you can see the Typhoon2 is only $10 more so we need to find out what they did to make the prices so close. With all of the upgrades in the Typhoon2, they had to do something to the airframe or something in order to pull that off IMHO.
I have a DX7 radio that I just purchased and I am wondering about whether ot not I could use the DX7 with the Typhoon 2? I am imagining that I would have to get an AR6100 receiver to replace the stock one, as I am fairly certain that there is a frequency number on the Tx, so it's not DSM2 like the DX7.

Anyone know for sure?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:53 PM
cjshaker

Yes, you would need a new receiver.

I'm currently flying the six channel Futaba FASST receiver in mine.

Chris Shaker
Old 10-08-2007, 03:01 PM
JasonInAugusta

I flew the Typhoon 2 RTF this weekend and loved it. (been flying the OG Typhoon since it was released with stock battery, TX, and servos...still a fun plane...)

My initial setup was with the pushrods in the outermost holes on the control horns and no SFGs. Noticed the hum of the digital servos, but that's to be expected. Left the antenna down while a buddy held the plane, performed a range check, and headed out.

Plane flew well, seemed to be easier to hover than the original Typhoon with the heavy 9 cell Ni-MH pack. Without the SFGs it'd knife-edge just fine but needed a little elevator to keep it tracking straight. With the pushrods in the outer holes of the control horn I had no problem flying 3D on low rates. Flipping to high rates really made the Typhoon come alive. Fun, fun, fun.

Brought her in and installed the SFGs, repeaked the pack, and headed out for testing with the SFGs installed.

Tracked a bit better in normal flight, but seemed to be more sensitive to wind (cross-wind especially) with the SFGs.

With the SFGs installed I noticed that I had to use much less rudder to maintain knife-edge - proof that they're working. Knife-edge loops are cake. The SFGs do work. So well, in fact, that the same rudder inputs that I'd used to KE without them would result in the beginnings of a KE loop. At that point I'd just back off the throttle and transition into a hover like I meant to do it.

Roll rate is slightly decreased with the SFGs but nothing that most folks in the target market of this plane would honestly think twice about.

Harriers seemed to be a bit better with the SFGs, both upright and inverted...just pay attention to the wind direction.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:37 PM
BryFlyGuy67

ORIGINAL: ZX9CRAZY

sorry for the drop in but I had a really bad flew her staight into a post brain fart tonight and broke her nose off.I took it apart and it looks like it would be fairly straight if I glue it back together my question is what glue is going to be best for this repair? or is it not worth fixing ? my lhs has a new fuselage for $30.
I asked this question to the tech. rep. from Horizon when I called them after crashing and cracking my nose in a couple of places. I had actually used a standard epoxy and it worked, but he said the best stuff for fixing foamies is foam-safe CA glue. He said that the epoxy can add too much weight in the wrong places.

Once I had it repaired, I went out and flew it again. This time, she is beyond hope. So, being the trooper that I am (and having enough $4 for now), I got another one. I haven't even had it out of the box yet. I am going to be practicing my landings on RFG3.5 for a while and join a local RC Club before I try it again.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:39 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Yes, you would need a new receiver.

I'm currently flying the six channel Futaba FASST receiver in mine.

Chris Shaker
Yup. Just called my LHS and ordred a AR6100. I want to stop buying new controllers for my growing hobby! Plus, I think I will be able to program the DX7 to fly a little more docile than the stock setup.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:11 PM
cjshaker

I thought it sounded too good to be true. Luckily, I hadn't flown the new airplane
yet. Still thrashing my old one.

Got a call today, from my LHS, and it turns out that the Typhoon2 that they thought
was sent from Parkzone to replace my bad radios and ESC was not sent to replace
my bad units.

It was sent to replace another customer's airplane who had returned the whole box
due to glitchy radios *after* I returned just the bad radios and ESC. Both units were
on channel 50, so possibly that lead to the confusion?

Supposedly, Parkzone is actually going to replace just the radios and ESC. It's been
quite a while since my LHS got the bad batch of radios, and my ESC toasted itself
during battery connection. Parkzone has taken their time replacing my bad radio and
ESC...

Chris

I previously reported a bad batch of radios in the Typhoon 2 from Parkzone, and an ESC that
burned itself up while I connected the battery to the airplane.

My LHS sent in the TX, RX, and burned ESC to Parkzone. Parkzone sent me a whole brand new
airplane, complete. I'm very pleased with Parkzone's support, and did not expect to get so much
back in return. They basically gave me a whole PNP Typhoon2, plus a second battery, for free.

Gave one of the chargers to a buddy who didn't have a way of balancing his LiPos.

I haven't tried to fly the new airplane yet, but will soon. Broke the nose off my old one again,
hotdogging at low altitude, and got 'dumb thumbs'. Cartwheeled into the ground at high speed.

Thank you Parkzone!
Chris Shaker

Tonight, one of my buddies from our hobby shop was watching as I plugged the LiPo battery into my Typhoon2. Smoke started to roll out, and I unplugged the battery right away. The ESC smoked itself.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:31 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Hi there. After having my Typhoon 2 sit unassembled in the box for several weeks, I finally got around to putting it together last Sunday in hopes that I could get a couple of flights in before the snow flies. When I had her together, I put a LiPo pack in it and she seemed to be normal.

Well, now I am VERY unhappy with my purchase! Last night, I had her tethered so that I could power up the motor and test LiPo run times. She was running with no problems for about 7 minutes and then the elevator servo took a crap on me!!!! What happened was that the servo just all of a sudden started deflecting up and down, made a horrible grinding noise and then locked in the full back position. I unplugged the battery as quickly as I could, reset the servo to the mid position and plugged her back in. NOTHING - DEAD SERVO. Keep in mind that this bird is basically brand new with NO FLIGHTS on her whatsoever. THANK GOD that this happened while bench testing, as if it would have happened in the air, the plane would have wrecked BADLY.

So this morning I call Horizon Hobby (where I ordered it), expecting to have a new plane shipped to me. But NO, no new plane for you! They are going to ship me a replacement servo. Now, if this plane wasn't a foamy or if the servo were an aileron servo, this wouldn't be a problem. The technician I spoke with actually said that I will have to use an exacto knife and CUT the servo out of the fuse and replace it!!!!!!

Since I have no other recourse to get my plane back up to running condition, has anyone had experience with replaceing one of these servos (either elevator or rudder)? Please help. I am feeling like the Typhoon was a bad purchase and I am a little scared to fly it now. If I didn't have the $$ into it already, I would just hang her from the ceiling and call it good. But I actually would like to FLY this plane (what a concept!).

Lessons learned: no more foamies, no more Park Zone planes and no more Horizon. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that the servo will arrive within a day, as I am not far from their warehouse in Illinois. However, I think that they should have replaced the entire unit, rather than asking me to CUT THE SERVO OUT OF THE FUSE with an exacto knife and replace it. Am I over-reacting or do you agree with me?

What kind of adhesive should I use to secure the replacement servo? Also, I am assuming that I am going to have to enlarge the servo mount hole in order to get the bad servo out. How do I then make sure that the new servo has a tight fit in the fuse?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:46 PM
cjshaker

I just moved my elevator and rudder servos to a new fuselage a week ago or so. No exacto knife needed.

I gently pried the black plastic servo retainer clips out of the foam, using a flat bladed screw driver. They
are glued into the foam. Once the clips were removed, I pulled and rocked the servos until they came
loose.

I cleaned foam residue off the clips using a small wire brush, about the size of a toothbrush. Each clip has
three prongs stuck into the foam. The middle prong goes through the servo mounting hole. My clips were
easily reused.

The servo was mounted using double stick tape on the bottom of the servo. Relatively easy to remove. Servo
mounting tape is what it's called in the hobby. You can find the same stuff at a car supply shop. It's used to
afix trim pieces to the side of your car. Clean the foam pocket and servo bottom with alcohol, and the servo
mounting tape will hold the servo quite well.

If I flew RC better, I wouldn't be so good at fixing my airplanes.

:^(

Chris Shaker

ORIGINAL: BryFlyGuy67

Hi there. After having my Typhoon 2 sit unassembled in the box for several weeks, I finally got around to putting it together last Sunday in hopes that I could get a couple of flights in before the snow flies. When I had her together, I put a LiPo pack in it and she seemed to be normal.

Well, now I am VERY unhappy with my purchase! Last night, I had her tethered so that I could power up the motor and test LiPo run times. She was running with no problems for about 7 minutes and then the elevator servo took a crap on me!!!! What happened was that the servo just all of a sudden started deflecting up and down, made a horrible grinding noise and then locked in the full back position. I unplugged the battery as quickly as I could, reset the servo to the mid position and plugged her back in. NOTHING - DEAD SERVO. Keep in mind that this bird is basically brand new with NO FLIGHTS on her whatsoever. THANK GOD that this happened while bench testing, as if it would have happened in the air, the plane would have wrecked BADLY.

So this morning I call Horizon Hobby (where I ordered it), expecting to have a new plane shipped to me. But NO, no new plane for you! They are going to ship me a replacement servo. Now, if this plane wasn't a foamy or if the servo were an aileron servo, this wouldn't be a problem. The technician I spoke with actually said that I will have to use an exacto knife and CUT the servo out of the fuse and replace it!!!!!!

Since I have no other recourse to get my plane back up to running condition, has anyone had experience with replaceing one of these servos (either elevator or rudder)? Please help. I am feeling like the Typhoon was a bad purchase and I am a little scared to fly it now. If I didn't have the $$ into it already, I would just hang her from the ceiling and call it good. But I actually would like to FLY this plane (what a concept!).

Lessons learned: no more foamies, no more Park Zone planes and no more Horizon. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that the servo will arrive within a day, as I am not far from their warehouse in Illinois. However, I think that they should have replaced the entire unit, rather than asking me to CUT THE SERVO OUT OF THE FUSE with an exacto knife and replace it. Am I over-reacting or do you agree with me?

What kind of adhesive should I use to secure the replacement servo? Also, I am assuming that I am going to have to enlarge the servo mount hole in order to get the bad servo out. How do I then make sure that the new servo has a tight fit in the fuse?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:50 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Thanks, Chris! I appreciate that. Maybe this won't be so bad after all...
Old 10-24-2007, 07:46 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Cjshaker is giving good advice. Servos can be easily removed.

Instead of tape, I use a foam-safe glue available at Michaels stores. It comes in a tube that looks like a tube of toothpaste. The name is "Hold the Foam". The glue holds the servo in place and can be later on removed easily. It just peels off from the fuselage and the servos.

I also use this glue on the Typhoon wing. I don't trust that little screw holding the wings together. The glue works great and can be easily removed if you need to remove the main wing.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:03 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Thanks, this is my first foamy, so I guess I didn't think that those servos were replaceable. I'm glad that they are!

Michaels, you say? What part of the store do you find that "hold the foam" stuff? I have some foam-safe CA that I could use and I do have double-sided sticky tape as well. Does this foam of yours expand at all after it is applied?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 PM
BryFlyGuy67

I just moved my elevator and rudder servos to a new fuselage a week ago or so. No exacto knife needed.

I gently pried the black plastic servo retainer clips out of the foam, using a flat bladed screw driver. They
are glued into the foam. Once the clips were removed, I pulled and rocked the servos until they came
loose.

I cleaned foam residue off the clips using a small wire brush, about the size of a toothbrush. Each clip has
three prongs stuck into the foam. The middle prong goes through the servo mounting hole. My clips were
easily reused.

The servo was mounted using double stick tape on the bottom of the servo. Relatively easy to remove. Servo
mounting tape is what it's called in the hobby. You can find the same stuff at a car supply shop. It's used to
afix trim pieces to the side of your car. Clean the foam pocket and servo bottom with alcohol, and the servo
mounting tape will hold the servo quite well.

If I flew RC better, I wouldn't be so good at fixing my airplanes.

:^(

Chris Shaker
Chris,

You were spot-on, man! That servo came out easy as pie once I got the clips off! Now, to replace that servo and get her in the air! Thanks for helping me feel better about my purchase.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:59 PM
ZX9CRAZY
My Feedback: (23)

quick easy one for you guys I had the stock motor out of my typhoon 2 tonight to replace the prop shaft (rough landing ) and forgot to check how the motor to esc wires were hooked up. What I have now is red to red, green to blue, yellow to black could some one please take a look at theirs and let me know if I got it right. I would greatly appreciate it
Old 10-31-2007, 11:18 PM
cjshaker

Just power it up and see if it rotates the correct direction. If not, reverse any two of the leads
and it'll rotate the other way.

These little brushless motors are really little three phase AC motors, I think...

Chris
Old 11-01-2007, 06:22 AM
ZX9CRAZY
My Feedback: (23)

yep it does. I was just scared that I would smoke my esc thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 07:26 AM
jmir

ORIGINAL: BryFlyGuy67

Thanks, this is my first foamy, so I guess I didn't think that those servos were replaceable. I'm glad that they are!

Michaels, you say? What part of the store do you find that "hold the foam" stuff? I have some foam-safe CA that I could use and I do have double-sided sticky tape as well. Does this foam of yours expand at all after it is applied?
The glue is along with the other glues are. The tube is blue with yellow letters. Also, it does not expand after it is applied.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:13 PM
manspray

I was thinking of buying one is there anything I should know before I buy it?
Old 11-22-2007, 01:39 PM
cjshaker

If you've got a good radio that you could use with it, you might consider getting the
plug and play or receiver ready version instead of the RTF. Not sure if that comes with
the battery and charger or not?

Parkzone appears to still be having problems with the radios used in the RTF Typhoon
2. The replacement radio TX/RX set for my glitchy radio is still on back order, months
after we sent it in for replacement. My LHS has had to return many radios from
Typhoon2s due to glitching.

We've had a few Typhoon 2s with a bad servo in our area as well. I returned my first
Typhoon2 with a bad aileron servo. The second one had a glitchy radio, and the ESC
burned itself up.

Parkzone replaced my smoked ESC with a new one, and it is working fine. I'm flying
my Typhoon2 with a Futaba FASST 6EX radio set.

That being said, the airplane is a lot of fun to fly. I'm still on my original wings and
horizontal stab/elevator, motor, and servos. The servos have withstood my wildest
crashes without damage. I've mostly had to replace prop shaft/gear assemblies,
but have also replaced the gearbox, fuselage, and nose cowl. Broke one prop.

Chris Shaker

ORIGINAL: manspray

I was thinking of buying one is there anything I should know before I buy it?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:58 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking at getting one of these myself with some xmas $$ I usually get...cant decide which one to get,,there are so many 3-D parkflyers out there....?.....Rog
Old 12-07-2007, 02:28 PM
cjshaker

Parkzone has replaced my bad radio system, giving me a new TX and RX on a different channel.
Haven't tried them out yet.

Chris Shaker
Old 12-07-2007, 02:54 PM
BryFlyGuy67

I went the RTF route at first and wasn't happy with it. II then put in an AR6100 Rx and now run the plane from my DX7. It's cool because now my right and left aileron servos run off different channels. I also have the possibility of programming landing flaps and airbrake.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:57 PM
manspray

I have had a parkzone slo-v and a parkzone J3 cub BL for a while now and want to move into 4 channel, should I get the typhoon 2, or some other 4 channel plane?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.