Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

New Pilot needs some help

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

New Pilot needs some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 AM
cencalmatt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Pilot needs some help

Hello
I am fairly new to flying. I recently bought an Avistar .46 nitrotrainer and have about 20 flights on it now. Between that and my many hours spent on Phoenix RC sim, I feel I have mastered my trainer, flying it inverted in circles out at the field I fly at with buddies. They all call me a liar and say I've been flying for years lol...
Anyhow, I fell in love with the idea of 3d flight and I am currently practicing rolling harriers on the sim. I purchased a Chargerrc.com Fuzion 3D.
I just love the way it looks and what little infoI could find on it was great.
Here's my issue, All of this brushlessmotor stuff just confuses the crap out of me, the kv ratings specifically. I need a couple tips, or points in the right direction. I would like to buy from a U.S. based business, for a couple of reasons. I have been looking at valuehobby.com and they pretty much have most of what I need but they are always sold out of speed controllers.
I'd like a one stop shop for cheap components for foamies.
Hobbyking is a mess in my opinion, just a cluster of thousands of items, most of which are sold out! So does anybody else have any good sites they go to? and does anyone have any good recommendations on a particular setup? It is a 36" wingspan.
Just need a little guidence setting it up.
Thanks
cencalmatt
Old 10-19-2010, 03:38 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: New Pilot needs some help

Yo

You might try hobby partz, Tower is always a reasonable and reliable source. Grayson Hobby has also been fine for me. Don't try to reinvent the wheel, you will get run over. Go to the builders information, and use their recommended motor and controller. If they are overpriced, get their motor's specks for weight, Watts and KV and match that as close as possible. There is good and there is cheep, seldom are they the same. You need to spend the day in research learning the electric stuff starting with Red Schoefields "Battery Clinic" ad go from there. You must either pay your dues or pay and pay until you learn the basics yourself. There is always someone in the club that knows their stuff and willing to help out. Make him/her a friend and respond in kind. You can always go mow their lawn in gratitude. If you can't find someone to help you, the problem may be in the mirror. ENJOY
Old 10-19-2010, 04:34 PM
cencalmatt

Awesome, thanks for the advice. And I'm always willing to listen. I've had help just to get as far as I am, from my friends dad who's just getting into 3d himself but has been flying for 40 years so he knows quite a bit. Especially when it comes to gas/glow engines and huge hand built scale models.
I realize electric is a whole different ball game and can even be more expensive from the sounds of it.
So, I ordered a 1000 kv brushless (equivelant to park 400) and two 3s 1300mah lipos. Is this a good combo?
Also some 9g servos and a 30 amp esc. (I realize thats more than necessary, I did it so when I scale up I already have the esc)
All from valuehobby. Now looking at grayson and a couple others, I may pick up some stuff from there too.

So, how do you think the above combo will work? OK i hope

Any response is appreciated.
-Matt
Old 10-21-2010, 10:36 AM
cencalmatt

Wow you guys are great I'm sure glad I signed up for this forum