Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Miracle switch with fuel dot

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Miracle switch with fuel dot

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:59 AM
DAKOTANOVASS
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miracle switch with fuel dot

I am wondering if the Miracle switch with the fuel dot built-in is a good idea. Should the switches be explosion proof, especially being right by the fuel. Possiblity of fuel getting on the switch and POOF! Let me know what you guys think.

Terrell

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/im...CHDOTBLACK.jpg
Old 02-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Miracle switch with fuel dot

Probably not, but it depends where you would place it. Looks like a good idea - nice and compact.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:40 AM
jzrf6c

Despite what you may hear Nitro fuel can explode. One of the guys at our field was fueling his B-25 and when he hit the pump switch (located on the top of the jug) and BANG! He was blasted with burning fuel. And remember, alcohol fires have no real visible flames.

So, bottom line, I'd always keep fuel lines as far away from any source of sparks, like switches, as possible!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 AM
TruBlu02

ORIGINAL: jzrf6c
Despite what you may hear Nitro fuel can explode. One of the guys at our field was fueling his B-25 and when he hit the pump switch (located on the top of the jug) and BANG! He was blasted with burning fuel. And remember, alcohol fires have no real visible flames.
So, bottom line, I'd always keep fuel lines as far away from any source of sparks, like switches, as possible!

I with you on this one. The switch appears to be a quality setup and look nice, but I too have "seen" nitro burn and it is kinda scary. I think the chances of igniting it are pretty slim especially if the Electrical wires are well insulated. What concerns me is the fact tht you wil pull that fuel line in and out constantly rubbing it against the side of the case which could eventually cut the line.

I think it is a cool idea but I like to keep my electrical components and nitro on different sides of the plane.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:44 AM
DAKOTANOVASS
My Feedback: (17)

I was considering putting this on a gasser plane. But with gas fumes so close by I don't think it is a good idea. When a person goes to disconnect the fuel line after fueling, their is always the chance of fuel getting on something!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:34 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

the switch is ok, but you need to recheck everything, i prefer the wolverine or badget on my gassers....and yes i did have the miracle before and i removed after 3 flights.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:34 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You guys are seriously paranoid!
Old 02-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Capt Cash
My Feedback: (1)

I had that switch on one of my gassers and it was ok. I mounted it forward on the fuse and used the switch side of itfor the engine ignition. After the normaloutfitting and fiddling withinstallingall the other itemson a new plane, I realizedI accidentlybroke oneof the soldered wires offat some point. I was able to re-solder it but in my opinion if you unknowinglypush and tug on the exposed wires a few to many times the joints will break. This is true of any switch but this one just appears to be more susceptible to this.

The thought of it as a fire hazard is there but I think it is small and never really crossed my mind before. The fuel dot is nice however itsometimes did not stay seated flush in flight. The O-ring (on mine at least), did not provide enough resistance to hold the dot in securely. Overall the switch just seemed a little large and bulky to me, but these are trivial things and a matter of personal preference. It's probably better than a lot of switches out there but I will most likely not use them again.