Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Is 61FX too much or too heavy for Funtana 3D

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Is 61FX too much or too heavy for Funtana 3D

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 02:14 PM
Stu26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 61FX too much or too heavy for Funtana 3D

I want to get a Funtana and have a spare 61 FX will it be any good?
Old 09-22-2003, 03:47 PM
da_man
My Feedback: (30)

Default RE: Is 61FX too much or too heavy for Funtana 3D

horizon said in their article that the saito 72 was the heaviest engine to put in it. They say anything bigger will effect the 3D characteristics. Check horizon and tower on the specs of the engines and see the difference in weight.

or I would say since you have it already, Just bolt it in and fly the thing.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:07 PM
TooLy

as da_man said, just put it on and go fly.
do a search in the furom and you will find tons of info about any combo for the funtana.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:08 PM
lxcoupe
My Feedback: (34)

I'm running a saito 100 with no problems as far as flight characteristics are concerned. There are a few others on here running 91's and 100 4strokes with good results. I read a post on here awhile back where someone was running a 61 2 stroke with very good results. I think the only problem you may have with the 61 2 stroke is what you are going to do with the exhaust. If my only 2 choices were between a .72 4stroke or a 61 fx i'd take the .61 every time. Good luck and let us know how it works out...
Al
Old 09-23-2003, 03:31 PM
Simon Jones

For whatit's worth I'm running an OS 46 FX and it isn't nough by a long way.I have the battery at the front under the tank and it flies ice bu doesn't have good vertical performance. I'm thinking about putting a91FX on the front as it's only a bit heavier han a 61 with a wad more power.

If you have a 61 spare give it a whirl. You may even consider putting an extra servo in the tail to help with the CoG, and get two elevator servos as a number of people have had problems with theirs screwing outdue it seemso elevato mis-alignment, I know this is something that I had o tinker with fo a while. It will fly the plane fine and you've lost nothing to give it a go, I suspect it will also give you sufficient vertical performance, although ou can never have too much.

Enjoy and le us know how you get on.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:37 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

I have the .61FX in my Funtana and it is a good combo. I was in the same situation as you, the motor needed a plane.

I went with a Macs Muffler which is 4oz lighter than the stock muffler. A propane torch heated up the muffler just enough so I could straighten the bend in the muffler enough to clear the firewall with the engine mounted 90 degrees. The exhaust exits the bottom so clean up isn't too bad.

Don't know how the stock muffler will clear the firewall? Not the best solution but I had the engine and muffler sitting there so....

Plenty of power, pulls strong from a hover. Snaps on the vertical upline are also no problem. The extra power is enough to even coax a KE loop out of the Funtana.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:48 PM
garydog
My Feedback: (1)

Stock 61 wont clear the firewall. But its a great combo. I too had a 46 but went w/the 61 Very happy w/ this setup.

Side note. Use all the rudder you can but less elv. Just my oopnion

Dan
Old 09-25-2003, 05:29 PM
JASONcABBOTT

no it shouldnt be too big or too heavy... a guy up here has a saito 91 in it.... he he he lots of power.. all i think i can say is use high torque servos in the wings cause his would really snap to the side in a high G pull