Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Funtana 90 any new problems? please help

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Funtana 90 any new problems? please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 07:17 AM
Max1
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtana 90 any new problems? please help

i am a new member here and i am just getting back into flying. i really like the way the Funtana 90 looks and i am trying to find out if any of the members here that might of bought a new Funtana 90 in the past months have had the same problems as the earler Funtana 90's had? has the cracked wing rib and other problems been fixed? i just bought a new Harrier 3D .90 ARF and the quality is really great. i have never seen a airplane so well packed and the quality of a ARF like the Harrier before. with as many Funtana 90 sets of wings that have been sent back i would think that someone at Horizon Hobby would have had this problem fixed by now? this is the question i am asking the members here right now. i would really like to buy a Funtana 90 and i would be really great full if any of you know if these problems have been fixed now? i thank you for any help you might give me here. i am sure i am not the only one that has this question. thank you toby
Old 11-16-2004, 08:01 AM
Not24
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Funtana 90 any new problems? please help

I bought mine a month ago. I had no damaged parts and was impressed with everything as it came out of the box. I'm still in the trimming out phase of flying, so I haven't pushed it too hard yet. I too, am concerned with the history of the plane exploding in flight. I have made a couple of full throttle passes and half throttle snap rolls with no gremlins so far. The plane is light for its size, and doesn't need to fly fast to be maneuverable. I still haven't decided on which is the best prop for my setup, but right now I'm using a 16-5 Zinger and like it just fine. It's powered with an os 1.08, which is a little light on the nose. I think a TT 1.20 might be the 2 stroke of choice for this plane.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:18 PM
Max1

THANK YOU NOT24 for your help. i hope others will tell us if they are having any of the past problems with there new Funtana 90 's. i sent a e mail to Horizon Hobby and asked them the same question that i asked here. i will post there answer here and maybe well will get more of our members here to help out with there answers to this question. thank you again for your post and your help...........toby[8D]
Old 11-16-2004, 02:31 PM
evfast
My Feedback: (31)

I got one of the first ones and have well over 200 flights on it and absolutly no problems with it.

later
Old 11-16-2004, 02:40 PM
Max1

thank you evfast for your post and help. the problems from what i saw here in the forum was with the wings having cracked ribs .....new right out of the box and other problems like that. thats why i asked the question here are the newer ones that are being bought now have the same problems with the wings or has the wing problem been fixed at the factory? thank you all again for your post and help.............toby
Old 11-16-2004, 06:17 PM
Max1

ok here is the reply i got from Horizon Hobby............it sure would be nice if other members that own the Funtana S90 would help with there post and information about there Funtana S90 . thank's to the members that did post it helps everybody here on this great forum.....toby

Thank you for your recent email. The Funtana S90 is a good plane and we stand behind
our products 100%. The Funtana has gone through a couple of running changes. An additional
rib was added to support the aileron servo mount. The Funtana is a really great plane and
would make an excellent addition to anybody's collection. Regardless of when or what kit you
would purchase, there is not need to replace items from a new kit, but always carefully inspect
any kit, as items can be damaged in shipping. Carefully follow all the instructions and
recommendations in the manual. If you have anymore questions or would like to discuss this
topic further with one of our product support techs, please feel free to contact us again via
email or at 1-877-504-0233.

Thanks,

James
Product Support Team Member
Horizon Hobby
4105 Fieldstone Road
Champaign, IL 61822
1-877-504-0233
[email protected]
Old 11-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Not24
My Feedback: (1)

I did notice that the wing in mine does not match the pics in the manual as far as there being another rib. Sometimes in an effort to reduce weight, we cut one or two corners too many. I, personally, would like to see 50% more wing ribs in there. They don't weigh jack on a nine pound model, and the wing would be stronger and smoother. Thanks for following this up with Horizon. I will certainly keep all y'all informed with any issues I may have with mine.

Eddy
Old 11-17-2004, 01:46 AM
CptCliffhanger
My Feedback: (6)

I've got the TT 120, great choice for this plane. APC 17X6.. Only problem is elevater flutter! :-( Had to put 3/4 oz of lead on the leading edge of the counter balances of each elevater half, this seem to have helped but I haven't pushed it yet.. Other than that the plane is incredible! As stated above the plane doesn't have to fly fast to be manuverable.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:57 AM
KevinBourland
My Feedback: (9)

My Funtana had no damage upon arrival. I did add 1/16 ply to the four ribs which support the wing servo's. This was just for piece of mind.
What a great plane!!! What a great price for such a performer, quality!!!
Old 11-17-2004, 11:55 AM
a10hog
My Feedback: (28)

ORIGINAL: toby007

ok here is the reply i got from Horizon Hobby............it sure would be nice if other members that own the Funtana S90 would help with there post and information about there Funtana S90 . thank's to the members that did post it helps everybody here on this great forum.....toby

Thank you for your recent email. The Funtana S90 is a good plane and we stand behind
our products 100%. The Funtana has gone through a couple of running changes. An additional
rib was added to support the aileron servo mount. The Funtana is a really great plane and
would make an excellent addition to anybody's collection. Regardless of when or what kit you
would purchase, there is not need to replace items from a new kit, but always carefully inspect
any kit, as items can be damaged in shipping. Carefully follow all the instructions and
recommendations in the manual. If you have anymore questions or would like to discuss this
topic further with one of our product support techs, please feel free to contact us again via
email or at 1-877-504-0233.

Thanks,

James
Product Support Team Member
Horizon Hobby
4105 Fieldstone Road
Champaign, IL 61822
1-877-504-0233
[email protected]

Toby,

I had one of the wing sets that came apart and I sent it in to James @ Horizon. I'm very happy with the service I received from James and the Horizon Product Support Team. I will tell you that yes, there was a problem with the early set of wings but I do feel that after all the problems, Horizon has addressed the issue and quite possibly resolved the problem. I will offer you a suggestion, and that is Follow the directions that Horizon provides with the kit. Do not over power this model and practice throttle management. Even if you do have a problem with your new model Horizon will honor the problem if it is truly a defect with their product. Give the new version a chance and enjoy the aircraft, it does have some excellent flight characteristics.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:58 AM
a10hog

ORIGINAL: KevinBourland

My Funtana had no damage upon arrival. I did add 1/16 ply to the four ribs which support the wing servo's. This was just for piece of mind.
What a great plane!!! What a great price for such a performer, quality!!!

Kevin,
Sounds like you got a new wing version, the first version only had one rib per servo bay.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:24 PM
Max1

i want to thank all of you for your post's and your help here. thank you toby[8D]
Old 11-29-2004, 09:09 PM
SStick

How do you tell the new wings?

My S90 kit has the servo bay between two ribs. A total of 6 ribs per wing.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:18 PM
a10hog

ORIGINAL: SStick

How do you tell the new wings?

My S90 kit has the servo bay between two ribs. A total of 6 ribs per wing.

This how you can tell...... The old version only had one rib to support the servo. The new version has two that does the supporting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26945.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	197934  
Old 11-30-2004, 11:59 PM
SStick

Thanks for the pic. Guess I have the new wings. Can't figure how I did this but the Aileron hinges are loose on one of the wings (4 of the 5 hinges pulled loose) the morning after gluing them the night before. Contacted H9 Customer Support and they want to know if I used Thin CA glue (why yes of course; - duh). I've used CA hinges many times with no problems. The Funtana wings in my kit didn't have any of the wing or aileron hinges showing. I had to locate them by feel and open them up with a hobby knife myself. Guess I should have drilled a hole in the center of each slot before gluing?

Anyone have any advice on what to do next? H9 says 'send the wings back for replacement' but I'd like to avoid that if possible.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:31 AM
islandflyer

I also had one of the first kits. I am happy to report that I have had no issue with the plane: in fact, I will repeat what I have said several time on several F-90 forums: not only this is a great looking and great flying plane, it is also the best value you can get in this size of plane.
I must have been lucky with intact rib (others were probably cracked in shipping or handling). I also use better hardware, and very good coreless metal geared servos (Futaba 9402). That, along with flying as a light 3D plane is designed to fly (SLOW), is probably why my friend Ryoji and I have had no flutter, but had nothing but fun in hundreds of flights on the F-90.[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-01-2004, 07:42 PM
georgec

I have a Funtana 90 And have the old style. The main thing is to use good servos I used 8411
on the alerons Maybe alittle more than you need but not much. One thing I can say is get a bigger motor than a Saito 100 because it does not have the power you like for pulling out of a hover. Other than that it flys great.[8D]
Old 12-01-2004, 08:34 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Here
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_16..._1/key_/tm.htm
I had one of the first "Single Rib" versions, One rib with a couple 1/4 inch balsa sticks bridging to the adjacent rib. I think this was prob'ly what caused several of these planes to flutter apart in the air. I made sure to inspect this every flight. I had an OS 160 in mine.... and.......

I loved mine so much, I got the FUNTANA 140S

http://www.aero-model.com/ProductDet...?productID=428
Old 12-02-2004, 09:04 AM
Max1

i want to thank all of you for your help. [8D]
Old 12-02-2004, 03:08 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

DEFINITELY DRILL A HOLE WHERE THE SLOT IS.

This allows the glue to flow all the way in, thats why there is a slot in the hinge. Another thing that prevents c/a hinges from wicking in the glue is the covering material will dam the c/a not allowing it to wick in. Cut some of the covering material away from the slot, about 1/32 on each side of the slot with a razor blade. BEST way... CUT OFF THE C/A HINGES AND use Robart hingepoints. No chance of failure with these things.

Wayne G.

ORIGINAL: SStick

Thanks for the pic. Guess I have the new wings. Can't figure how I did this but the Aileron hinges are loose on one of the wings (4 of the 5 hinges pulled loose) the morning after gluing them the night before. Contacted H9 Customer Support and they want to know if I used Thin CA glue (why yes of course; - duh). I've used CA hinges many times with no problems. The Funtana wings in my kit didn't have any of the wing or aileron hinges showing. I had to locate them by feel and open them up with a hobby knife myself. Guess I should have drilled a hole in the center of each slot before gluing?

Anyone have any advice on what to do next? H9 says 'send the wings back for replacement' but I'd like to avoid that if possible.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:45 AM
hermann

I have the funtana s90 wiht a saito 1.80
Old 12-30-2004, 10:25 AM
rockmon

Hey I wonder if Horizon would send all us guy's with the old style wing a couple of extra ribs and the covering to fix em??? I think I'll drop them a line and see what they say.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:37 AM
E*nealio
My Feedback: (10)

In my first FT 90 i had the single rib version, It was fine and had no problems untill i did a rolling harrier into the ground LOL!!!! Now i got to wait a month to get my new one, with the new rib configuration, I see that it is stronger but the old design was just fine if you were carful with handling on the ground(I.E dont lay the wing down servo down, which you shouldnt do anyway with any wing!!!!). On more thing, instead of CA hinges which can fail at high deflection, use some small robart hinges everywhere but the winges, where i used the large ones, Works out great because after a few tail touches those CA Hinges will fail and flying rudderless REALLY SUCKS!!!A friend barely got his down, then he put hinge points in and never had that problem------the funny thing is that my friend and I had "bad landings" within 4 days of each other, now we are working on Number 2!!! Great planes, keep it low and slow.

Nealio
Old 03-15-2005, 06:36 AM
EBM

Hi There

I have a Funtana S90 with a Super Tiger GS2300 engine fitted. The performance is blistering and the aircraft has had no problems. I live in Johannesburg in South Africa, our elevation is 4500 feet above sea level with density altitudes sometimes well over 6500 Ft and the aircraft performs amazingly well. I recommend you get one!!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 08:02 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen both the new and old versions of the wings and H9 will send you everything you need to repair the wings if you ask nicely. I had one out of the box that had 2 ribs for the servo but all of the ribs were cracked. A quick call to H9 showed the replacements were backordered for 3 months, now this was 6 months ago, and I asked about getting the covering and some 1/16 balsa. 3 days later I had both 2 rolls of the blue and yellow covering plus the balsa and stickers for the wing.

I now have about 75 very hard flights on mine using an OS 120 Surpass III pumped and as long as you keep the speed down and your have good mechanical advantage you will be just fine.

Oh yes, standard servos are not enough even though the are recommended as nylon gears just cannot stand the strain under constant hard use, metal gear medium to high torque is my recommended choice plus also seal the hinge gaps. The plane will self destruct if:

1. It is flown to fast
2. mechanical advantage is not good
3. metal geared servos are not used with a larger engine
4. gaps are not sealed.

Speed is a relative term. A Saito 100 turning a 15X4 prop will not fly the plane fast but will 3D well. Now screw a 15X6 prop and now you get a big jump in speed.

I have seen guys over on the big Funtana thread complaining how the plane blew apart at only half throttle until you find out that they had a Saito 180 in it turning an 18X6 prop. Can you say flutter, DOH... These are huge surfaces so speed kills

So the moral is, prop it for torque not speed meaning use low pitch

I am not trying to scare you. It's a great plane but it has a single purpose which it does very well.

I have my CG at 6 3/4 and the tank near the CG. I can take off and go directly into a hover and unless it is windy, it will park itself right in the sweet spot and just stay right there with very little input from me. Inverted flight is completely hands off and it all but lands itself. Just get the sink rate setup with throttle and keep the wings level, Cool stuff, blows peoples minds when they stand next to me and see that all I am doing is maintaining the glide with the throttle and keeping the wings level and NOT using the elevator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.