Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Katana 50 ultra-RC anyone flying this ?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Katana 50 ultra-RC anyone flying this ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 08:03 AM
jggr_mx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Katana 50 ultra-RC anyone flying this ?

hi :

i crash my H9 funtana .40 last week

i think in a katana .50 from ultra-rc models....

its a good choice or go again with H9 funtana 40
Old 01-30-2005, 08:58 AM
EXTRA ADDICT
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Katana 50 ultra-RC anyone flying this ?

I not putting the katanna down but mine didnt last but 2 flights. It built very heavy 6 pounds with an OS .46ax and it in turn flew very heavy the crash was not bad very fixable but i retired it. The funtanna In my opinion flys much better. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:39 AM
richie _richie

yeah ill second that..... ive got hanger 9. 40 size funtana powered with an os 70 mark 2 surpass four stroke. with an APC 13 x 4 prop. i couldnt wish for a better flying plane. it does every thing that i want it to. even handles perfect at slow flight ie: 5 mph. 100% control.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:49 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive flown 3 different funtana's and they all flew bad, all different setups and not one good one. the Ultra RC Katana I reviewed here in the magazine flew much better than all of them. Me personally, Id buy another katana before a funtana
Old 01-30-2005, 10:22 PM
jggr_mx

ii check reviews in magazine.....

Funtana have more large control areas.....
Katana have 2 piece wings with aluminum tube....
have different airfoil to...

thanks to all posts

KATANA 50 Ultra rc
[link=http://www.ultra-rc.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=30]http://www.ultra-rc.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=30[/link]

FUNTANA 40 HANGAR 9
[link=http://www.ultra-rc.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=30]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN1975[/link]
Old 01-30-2005, 11:10 PM

I have mine built and ready to go, but I am too big of a weene to go out in the cold. Mine came in at a hair over 6lbs too. I have a Magnum 52 2 stroke in it. I didn't really get it for 3D, but I am kinda suprised at the wieght.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:00 AM
EXTRA ADDICT

Well the choice is obviously yours to make. 6 pounds is alot for a plane that small !!! It outweighed my funtanna by just over half a pound and the funtana has twice the wing area!! That is how I crashed my Katanna I was slowing it down to check its slow flight charecteristics . Well it had NONE it went into a snap and I couldnt get it back. Someone who likes warbirds would probobly enjoy it but it was no way mine would 3D. At first I thought it was the way I built it but, now there is someone else saying theirs is over 6 pounds sorry I am raging here but I bought this plane because of the reveiw I read on here! You must have got a prototype. Just so everyone knows I weighed the fuse (minus the firewall !!) and it only weighed 6 ounces less than the fuse for my extreme flight Yak with the canopy and rudder attached!! They must have used oak for my Katanna!![:@] Ok now that I have that off my chest I am sorry for the outburst and good luck with your choice!!!!
Old 01-31-2005, 04:35 PM
jggr_mx

and the winner is......... H9 Funtana 40

better weight , have large areas
and fly more stable at slow flight
tanks to all [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-31-2005, 05:05 PM
JohnVH

ORIGINAL: jggr_mx

and fly more stable at slow flight
None of the 3 funtana's I flew did, all were very snappy and no fun, the katana was the opposite for me.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2005, 07:18 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

Well neiter one Are my choice of an outstanding plane. both self destruct. IMOP..

Extra addict never mentioned the wing bolt breaking in flight and the 2 piece landing gear flying apart first landing..

I Have A F90 and have flown 3 different 40s .. never flew the katana but watched ADDICT fly his. It was pretty shakey..
Old 01-31-2005, 07:26 PM
drumbum

duplicate post
Old 01-31-2005, 08:30 PM
JohnVH

Very odd.. clearly something was wrong with how he set it up..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=421

Two video's here of it, and its just fine.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:18 PM
EXTRA ADDICT

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

Very odd.. clearly something was wrong with how he set it up..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=421

Two video's here of it, and its just fine.
Well I wasn't trying to get anything started I was just sharing an experience I had. I am not sure what to take of this but, I have built and flown alot of planes; I would list them all but it is not worth the time. I will say my current hanger has everthing from small electics to 1/3 scale 3D in it. I love this hobby you can tell by my user name. All the planes I have set up fly just fine. Yes I read your reveiw of the Katanna and watched the videos that is why I bought the plane it looks great in your reveiw. I did use full size standard servos and a light but powerful 2 stroke. That shouldn't make it weigh over six pounds a plane that size intended for 3D shouldn't weigh that much if it had a 2X4 from front to rear. If you read the ultra rc support forum there seem to be some others a little more than curious why theirs weighs over 6 pounds as well. I also posted there as well. Once again I am sorry for lack of tack.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:37 AM
Vortec

Over 6 pound for any 40 size plane is FAT.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:17 PM

Well I got mine in the air. Technically its a 50 size plane not a 40. My 52 drags it around very nicely, but its definitely not a 3D plane. I am not trying to tell anyone there business, but I didn't get this for 3D anyway. I already have 3 planes that can do 3D. This is for going fast and for doing quick rolls and spins. It will defiantly do that. I still am a little nose heavy and I need to do some more engine tuning, but It does what I want. Its got enough power for unlimited vertical, but its not 3D type power. I should caveat that with, that I am not very good with 3D yet. The plane will hover, but if you get into trouble, you can't pull out very well. At least with the 52 anyway. My skills are not good enough to hover a plane that doesn't have the power to get me out of trouble. YET (hopefully). At my level I wouldn't consider this plane for 3D. But for an advanced sport plane, and with some minor hardware issues, this is a great plane.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:09 AM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

Well after reading this im very glad i decided to get the funtana 40 and not the Katana 50, i was about to order the katana when a buddy called and said the local hobby store got some funtana's in the same day.
Would have been bad being my first Glow 3D plane
Old 03-09-2005, 07:32 PM
med601
My Feedback: (5)

I had a 40 size hangar 9 Funtana with a saito 82. I flew it about 4 times and I loved it, unfortunately I crashed. I am now looking for a new home for the 82 and i also noticed the Pacific Areomodels edge 540 40 size and I'm thinking of that but also saw the Ultra RC Katana 50 ( Looks great ) and the Ultra RC Yak 50.
I have recently read some posts that say the Katana5 50 is heavy (6lb) and does not have good slow flight.
I'm confused as to which plane to buy Help!
Old 03-09-2005, 11:34 PM
JohnVH

Watch my review video, and the other one there, the katana is a blast!
Old 03-10-2005, 12:45 AM
drumbum

so ,,,,, you dont recommend the whell pants .,,, HuH
Old 03-10-2005, 12:49 AM
JohnVH

On a thick grass field, no. Unless you put larger wheels on it.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:21 PM
rightflyer

I have a Katana and like the plane exept for the canopy/hatch. Boy, is that cheesy. The plastic cocpit has cracked already. Anyone come up with alternative to this setup for a hatch.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:56 PM
flyjunkie

I have both the Funtana and the Ultra RC Katana the Funtana is wicked and i have never had a plane that prop hangs better the Funtana. I fly the Katana with a OS 70 Surpass 2 and this is heavy which needs a lot of up trim. I cannot recommened this for 3D but for scale aeros. In my opinion if you want 3D get another funtana Hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:21 AM
newsuperman

I am thinking about the funtana with a magnum .52 2s as my first glow plane after a year of the simulator, a foam profile, a formosa, and brief experience with a trainer (not mine). I really don't want a trainer because I am afraid I wil get bored of it. Whatever I buy will be my plane for the next year, until next summer, and I want something that I can learn to fly on with an instructor, but advance to do some more aerobatics like my foam airplanes. Any advice?
Thanks, Greg
Old 06-27-2005, 09:52 AM
flyjunkie

Hi Greg i think that you should buy a trainer before the funtana for a number of reason these being because the Funtana features massive control surfaces this needs to be flown by a confident pilot, The funtana is not the easiest aircraft to land , it does not handle winds well and when learning to fly you need to be at the field as much as you can and not be able to fly because there is a strong wind, The funtana can not be flown fast , it needs a computer transmitter, It needs good servos to power the massive surfaces, During learning to fly you will without doubt have arrivals e.t.c and could spoil the look of your new aircraft and trainers are more robust, if you where to crash it is ALOT cheaper to buy a trainer in the first place, it is harder to learn to fly on a low winger because some people get disoriantated more than flying a high winged airplane. Simulators make model aircraft flying seem alot easier than it actually is..... This is just my opinion and i hope it helps i am not trying to put you of buying a funtana just to learn to fly on a basic trainer and a trainer is able to perform basic aerobatics such as rolls, loops, stall turns and inverted flight.

Flyjunkie
Old 09-04-2005, 04:13 PM
rightflyer

For those of yhou flying a Ultra RC Katana. My friend's is balanced according to the manual at front end of the cg range. It has a Magnum 70FS. The throws are as specified. This plane seems to have a strong tendenacy to tip stall. Even at low rate elevator, it will snap out of a loop unless it is at full throttle. I have flown it personally and know this just isn't right. I have verified his setup on the cg and throws with the manual. I know this is a 3D plane, but I can't believe this is normal for the Katana. Any ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.