Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Funtana 40?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Funtana 40?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 11:08 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Funtana 40?

I just drill tiny holes in the stab and fin. Then I treat the end of the kevlar to a little thin CA to turn it into a needle to thread it through the holes. Once the loop is done and both ends of the Kevlar are on the bottom, I pull the slack out, and thin CA the ends into the slotted balsa blocks on the bottom of the fuse. Then I stuff little slivers of balsa into the holes and wick thin CA into them with a hobby knife. I make sure that where the kevlar goes into the balsa that it is treated with CA so it does not fray. Works great.

The Sullivan tail brace weight? Well I don't know exactly but the little turn buckles they give you and those golden clevises all add up when it's all done. I used the Kevlar that they give you but it still ended up making it tail heavy. I'd say an ounce or so. The Kevlar and thin CA weighs a couple grams if that. On a bigger plane this would not be an issue but on this little F40 it's a lot.

ORIGINAL: iflynething

WOW. I think I have seen that in another thread, but I've been meaning to ask you, how are you attaching it to the wood on the stabs? To me, it looks like the kevlar just runs through holes in the stabs and then looks like it's like connected there at the bottom with that wood.

That looks like a nice brace. I might go with the Sullivan because like I said I have a 100 on the front and without the cowl I need like 1/4 oz on the nose. How much does the Sullivan system weight. I might could actually use that to get some weight on the tail if I need that.

Thanks for the information!

~Michael~
Old 10-26-2005, 11:12 AM
iflynething

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I might try that on my next one, if Hangar 9 sends me one!

~Michael~
Old 10-26-2005, 12:54 PM
mwarren400

Michael, I hate to tell you this, but by putting a Saito 100 on your Funtana .40 ...you have voided the warranty. I'd be very surprised if Horizon honored your request.

Old 10-26-2005, 01:02 PM
mwarren400

ORIGINAL: stangevil29

To all,
I know this has been asked a million times already but, here goes. I am getting a F40 and plan on putting a Saito 82 on it. What servos would you all go with and are any upgrades/fixes in order to get it flying right? Thanks in advance.
Stangevil29
The .82 pulls it nice ...it will pull out of a hover using an APC 14x4w ON 15%...and I am still breaking the motor in. I swapped out the standard 537 servos on the ailerons for the JR Sport ST125MG's after stripping the gears doing negative snaps / tumbles.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:58 PM
iflynething

I'm just hoping though. I mean, even with a Saito 180 (which would be unreal in this plane) and flying at 1/4 throttle this shouldn't have happened. That's what I'm trying to get them to notice is that I was flying at 1/4 throttle, which is by not means fast at all. I'm hoping that they will realize that no matter how large the engine was, within reason, that this shouldn't have happened.

If something does happen and I can get another plane, then I will definately go and reinforce the wing. I know the manufactuer is trying to make the plane as light as possible, and that's what 3D ARF's are about these days, it should have been more reinforced, and that's also what I'm trying to point out, and this wing just happened to give way and break while flying. I wish I could get some pictures uploaded (I can't because they are taken with a 35mm camera) so I could show you just how clean the break is, again making me think that something wasn't right right in the wings.

~Michael~
Old 10-27-2005, 09:57 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I think what they will look at is where the break started. They should be able to tell if there was a glue joint missed or something similar.

David
Old 10-27-2005, 09:23 PM
iflynething

All I can do is ship in and see what happens. If they find the plane defective by their standards and I get another plane, then I get another Funtana, but if not, then there's really nothing I can do.

We'll see what happens! I'm hoping it will be good!

~Michael~
Old 10-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Mode One

I was thinking of putting my O.S. .46AX in this plane. Nobody here is talking about using two strokes, why? Is there something wrong with 2 strokes?
Old 10-28-2005, 05:40 PM
daveopam

The subject was beat to death in past months. A .46 is not enough motor for this plane. It will fly it around but it needs more. If you go to a .60 it's to heavy. If you go to a high performance .50 two stroke your in Saito .82 money.
I don't know your flying type/skills. You may be perfectly content with a .46 on yours. I have a .82 on 30% swinging a 15x4W APC. The combo is just right for me. It will hover at less than 50% throttle and blast out.

David
Old 10-28-2005, 07:52 PM
AHPowelson
My Feedback: (37)

If you build it light, it will 3D with a .46 all day long. My buddy's Funtana came in under 5lb's with a carbon fiber gear, titanium axles, carbon pushrods, micro servo for throttle and a few other minor odds and ends. It would do just about anything in the book except for tight waterfalls. It would pull out of a hover, but not with any authority at all. This was with an ooooooold OS .46 SF w/ Pitts muffler that he picked up at our club swap meet for $25. It would turn a 12.25x3.75 APC at around 11500RPM's. He's since replaced it with a Saito .82 and it's just ridiculous now. If you build it out of the box stock, a healthy .46 will be marginal at best.

Old 10-29-2005, 07:49 AM
Mode One

I got started in 1975, I flew sailplanes until 1980 and then powered airplanes. However, I have been on hiatus from flying for 14 years until this spring. I came back with an Ultra Stick .40 and I have been hovering this plane in short spurts. However, it eventually falls out of the hover as it lacks power, with it's diminutive .46LA. Coming back from 14 years off was no real problem and I feel very comfortable flying (I fly Mode 1). I have a Magnum 4 cycle .80 I could use on this plane, and maybe this will be what I do. Looking for input. Needless to say this forum may not be the best place to get it as we got lots a "EXSPURTS" here (I.e. Saito .82 is perfect/Saito .82 ain't enuffl)!
Old 10-29-2005, 09:05 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

daboosailing...Welcome back. 14 years is too long to stay away.

I had a H9 Ultra Stick 40. Pretty neat airplane. I liked it's toughness, aerobatic (not 3D) capabilities, easy landing and all around good fun.

I had a OS50SX in mine. I think it was a little underpowered for my liking but in hind sight if I'd have proped it down and lean it out I think I'd have been happy.

The Magnum 80 will be plenty of power for this Ultra Stick but will cause a nose heavy situation. If you want to do it right with the Mag 80 you would move the rudder and elevator servos to the tail. This would help balance and reduce the amount of excess tail weight you would need to add.

One thing for certain a Saito 82 would be "way good" on power. Regardless of what people are saying here, a Saito 82 is a very powerful engine. If you run it on 30% fuel and prop it with a 14X4W prop it would pull this Ultra Stick straight up forever or until it ran out of air. Man it is a beauty of an engine. I have it on a UCD46 and you couldn't ask for a better engine. Some use the 100 on the same plane but it effects the balance to where the plane doesn't fly as well. Rocket out of a hover better, maybe, but there is so much more to flying than just overpowering the plane.

I think you'd be very satisfied with the Mag 80 on your Ultra Stick. It would be so much better than the LA46 you are presently flying you won't believe it. The Mag 80 would probably be best with a 13x4W prop.

Good luck.

Thanks
Barry
Old 10-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Mode One

Barry, The .46LA was fine on the Ultra Stick, I was talking about putting the .80 Magnum on my Funtana.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:15 AM
Gus155

I am having a great time with my F40. An old Saito FA 80, 14x4W APC, Futaba 3001 all round. Have set up CG with half full fuel tank to eliminate a noticable change during flight. All up weight of 5.5 lbs with half tank. Punch out from hover is adequate but not ballistic. Has a vicious wing rock while harriering, but have moved the CG back a bit and has helped a bit. Head a tip yesterday about fitting soda straws to the LE at the tips, to help get a bit of air flow over the control surfaces. I am thinking that adding the LE extensions as on the Katana S might help reduce the wing rock? any other thoughts?
Otherwise a great plane.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:06 PM
iflynething

I was at first just going to put a OS46AX in my Funtana to get it flying and then when I got my Saito 100 take out the OS and put in the 4 stroke.

I learned that I would just have to wait for the 4-stroke. Although a good 2 stroke is good, when you get to a point, it's just too heavy and plus the 4strokes are able to spin MUCH LARGER props that an equal 2 stroke (correct me if I'm wrong, it might not be a VERY larger prop, but it will swing one larger because of the stoke)

If you just want to fly around the Funtana then go ahead with the OS. It will be a fun plane, but you probable more than likely won't be able to do anything more than just fly around. It wouldn't hold a hover that long, and if I did a hover with a 46 then I would be high up.

Like daboosailing said we don't know what kind of flying you do, so we can't tell you exactly what you want to put into your plane

HOpe this helps

~Michael~
Old 11-01-2005, 12:59 AM
Gus155

The smooth throttle response on the 4stroke along with larger prop helps with 3D, where you need the torque and gyroscopic procession in some instances, example inverted flat spins.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:13 AM
bobkra
My Feedback: (13)

I have 3151 digitals on the wings and elevator and a 107 oz. mg on the rudder. I tried a standard servo on the rudder but it wouldn't hold at all. I have a Saito 82 running 15% CP and it's a bit weak for my taste. I started with an APC 15X4W but was very disappointed with the performance; I expected far better vertical ability and it had no speed for aerobatics. It would barely hold a knife edge, had no speed and wasn't that impressive in 3D. I switched to an APC 13X8 and it became a different airplane. The knife edges are fantastic; it'll even pull itself to inverted from a knife edge and even 3D is better. I also like the greatre speed for aerobatics.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:54 AM
Btaff
My Feedback: (3)

Could you please tell me what carbon fiber landing gear you used. I am installing a Saito 100 on my Funtana and I also will need the additional clearance for a 15x4 prop. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2005, 02:20 AM
Btaff

When you install the Saito 100 can you use the stock engine mount?

Old 11-02-2005, 06:52 PM
daveopam

You can use the stock mount but you will need to move two of the blind nuts on the fire wall.

David
Old 11-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Btaff

I really appreciate the info. Can you please elaborate on moving the blind nuts? Is this to allow for the higher displacement of the engine thus spreading the engine mount further apart?

ORIGINAL: daveopam

You can use the stock mount but you will need to move two of the blind nuts on the fire wall.

David
Old 11-03-2005, 12:11 PM
daveopam

Some where here on RCU there is a article with pictures on doing it. The 1.00 is wider at the bottom than the .72/.82. So the bottom two blind nuts get moved down. If you thin CA the mount to the engine. You could bolt it up in the top two holes and then mark the bottom two. Then fill the old holes with dowell rods and re-drill the new. The engine mounts can be popped off the engine once marked. The thin CA dosn't leave much residue.

I hope this is clear enough. If not don't hesitate to ask more.

David
Old 11-03-2005, 04:12 PM
iflynething

I remember telling someone on my other thread about how I moved the blind nuts and everything. I just bought a Great Planes adjustable engine mount. It wasn't that hard to get the mount center.

First you have to measure and find the middle of the engine mount on all sides. Draw a line where the center is on the mount. Then find the center of the firewall on each side. You will have to be careful because on the left and right side you just and measure and get the center since you have the right side a little shorter. But when you find the center of the engine mount, and the centers on the firewall, then you line up the lines you made on the engine mount and the lines on the firewall, and then mark where the holes on the engine mount are. Take out the stock blind nuts, and the mark where you made where the engine mounts at, you drill holes right there, and move the blind nuts to fit wherever the engine mount mounts.

I hope this helps. I know it is very hard to use the stock engine mount for the Saito. That's why I opted just to get the .91-1.20 adjustable engine mount my great planes. I used that, and it works fine. I mounted the engine as far back to where the carb was touching the back of the engine mount.

Please e-mail or PM me if you have any other questions about moving the blind nuts around. I might could get some pictures if my plane comes back.

Hope this helps.

As for the landing gear, I bought mine from Fiber-Lite ([link=http://www.fiber-lite.com]Fiber-Lite Home Page[/link]). I love them. You could also go with TnT ([link=http://www.tntlandinggear.com]TnT Gear Home Page[/link]) They have good stuff.

I don't remember what the dimensions on the Fiber-Lite gear was, but you can look on their site. I know I have about 2 to over 3 inches of clearence even with a 15 inch prop.

~Michael~
Old 11-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Mode One

When I look through this thread, I see so many different opinions on what engine size and type to use, this plethora of opinion actually negates the usefulness of any information to be had here. I'm reminded of the axium to believe 1/2 of what you see and nothing you hear! I understand the Tim Allen mentality "More POWER" and have been guilty of this way of thinking myself, at times. Once, I built a Sig Kouger and put a .60 on it and it flew great! I'd seen others do it, talked to them about it and they said it sure makes a "hot rod" out of the Kouger, so I did it and they were right!

However, to suggest to other people that you know more about what size engine to install in a specific airframe, than the manufacturer, is some kinda foolishness!

I know there is some truth in what I am saying here and this is an admonishment to others looking for help or opinions on RCUniverse, to take what is said here with a "grain of salt". Someone whom may come across as an ExSpurt, may only have started a year or so ago! How are you to know?

Mark DeSchane
Old 11-04-2005, 07:32 PM
daveopam

Mark why do you keep putting negative stuff in your post. I have over 200 flights on my Funtana. How many do you have on yours? The manufactuer is trying to cover their a**. You can not do serious 3D with a .40 on a Funtana.

Not trying to start a fight. Not much anyway.

David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.