Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Goldberg YAK 54 - 77"

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Goldberg YAK 54 - 77"

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 07:05 PM
pit_basher
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg YAK 54 - 77"

I just placed my order thru Tower $355 after all the rebates ($385 for club members, minus $30 and free shipping) Not bad at all. Now to break the news to the wife
Old 12-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Yes..... I had to soften the blow with some jewelry.....
Old 12-10-2005, 09:26 PM
JasonInAugusta

ORIGINAL: aerobob

Well, Jason - THAT looks pretty cool..... would you measure the diameter of the cowl, please?
Is the outboard aileron servo hole about in the middle of the span?

The weight you gave means a 14.5 lb bird with my Brison.... or more....

How's the covering??

We are ALL jealous......
Bob,

The opening in the front of the cowl is 6.25". The cowl measures 8.75" wide, 9.75" tall. I don't like the interior of the cowl being white, I'll probably mask off the exterior and shoot the inside with some semi-gloss black and install the Top Flight 8.5" dummy radial to make things a bit nicer looking.

Each wing half is ~35" the innermost servo location is at about 7.75", the 2nd is at about 20.75"

The covering as good as you'd expect, I guess. I did have a couple of spots on the bottom checker type pattern that lifted when I removed the tape that held the control surfaces to the H stab. Not a big deal, I should have pulled the tape from the opposite direction anyway. I did go over a few spots with the heat gun and re-shrunk things. It looked great when I opened it at the LHS, but after sitting at the house a few little spots developed that needed my immediate attention. I just couldn't stand looking at the bubbles.

Anyway, I'm not sure who will be the first to get thiers in the air, but I know it won't be me! I'm going to end up buying the engine, pipe, PCM radio, servos, smoke pump, etc before this is ready to fly.

I'll take some more pics (bottom and side profile) later tonight.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:45 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JasonInAugusta

Well, Jason - THAT looks pretty cool..... would you measure the diameter of the cowl, please?
Is the outboard aileron servo hole about in the middle of the span?

The weight you gave means a 14.5 lb bird with my Brison.... or more....

How's the covering??

We are ALL jealous......
Bob,

The opening in the front of the cowl is 6.25". The cowl measures 8.75" wide, 9.75" tall. I don't like the interior of the cowl being white, I'll probably mask off the exterior and shoot the inside with some semi-gloss black and install the Top Flight 8.5" dummy radial to make things a bit nicer looking.

Each wing half is ~35" the innermost servo location is at about 7.75", the 2nd is at about 20.75"

The covering as good as you'd expect, I guess. I did have a couple of spots on the bottom checker type pattern that lifted when I removed the tape that held the control surfaces to the H stab. Not a big deal, I should have pulled the tape from the opposite direction anyway. I did go over a few spots with the heat gun and re-shrunk things. It looked great when I opened it at the LHS, but after sitting at the house a few little spots developed that needed my immediate attention. I just couldn't stand looking at the bubbles.

Anyway, I'm not sure who will be the first to get thiers in the air, but I know it won't be me! I'm going to end up buying the engine, pipe, PCM radio, servos, smoke pump, etc before this is ready to fly.

I'll take some more pics (bottom and side profile) later tonight.
Good info Jason

Would you say the ailerons are pretty stiff or flexible? Love the cowl idea and the TF fake radial engine, has possibilities
Old 12-10-2005, 09:54 PM
JasonInAugusta

Bill,

The ailerons are 32" long...They start off at 5" and taper down to 3.5" at the wingtip. If I grab opposite corners I can make them flex. Stiff or not? Hard to say...it's a relative term.

I'll be going with dual servos on mine. No reason not to do so, I'd think. I still can't get over the S3003s in the instruction manual but hey, you won't see them on my plane.

The rudder uses a pull-pull, so I'll end up putting a nice high-speed, high-torque servo there...and everywhere else, most likely. The last thing I want to do is skimp on servos and watch thing thing burn in.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, right.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:06 PM
bubbagates

Bill,

The ailerons are 32" long...They start off at 5" and taper down to 3.5" at the wingtip. If I grab opposite corners I can make them flex. Stiff or not? Hard to say...it's a relative term.

I'll be going with dual servos on mine. No reason not to do so, I'd think. I still can't get over the S3003s in the instruction manual but hey, you won't see them on my plane.

The rudder uses a pull-pull, so I'll end up putting a nice high-speed, high-torque servo there...and everywhere else, most likely. The last thing I want to do is skimp on servos and watch thing thing burn in.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, right.
Agreed, I'm always one for overkill and I was just hoping to be able to do a single 5945 per aileron but by the measurements it's iffy at best. The dual 5475's are sounding like the way to go. 1.4 ounces each so not to bad

Thanks for all you've one for us up to this point. [sm=thumbup.gif]

I also work PT at the LHS. I haven't been in there at all this week but I am going over there later tonight ( I also maintain the computer systems and am designing an online live ordering system that reads the current inventory and like to do this after hours). Hopefully we got one in on Fast Forward and I can take a look.

The problem with working at the LHS is temptation [X(]
Old 12-10-2005, 10:10 PM
JasonInAugusta

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

I tell people that me working at a hobby shop is like an alcoholic working in a liquor store.

My Yak was a fast forward/sneak peek type of thing.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:13 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

I tell people that me working at a hobby shop is like an alcoholic working in a liquor store.
ROFL That's a good one

Sometimes the owner sends the large planes back as soon as he ets them. We have allot of 40 to 120 size pilo0ts but very few 1/4 scale and above pilots so he normally does not keep them around
Old 12-10-2005, 10:20 PM
JasonInAugusta

We also have the Hangar 9 27% Extra 260 here.

Oddly enough, a drunk guy (not sure if he worked at a liquor store or not) came in and pissed on the box. It's been sitting in the back forever, manger says it's going back to Horizon.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:58 PM
kil_r_b
My Feedback: (2)

I received my CG Yak Wednesday. I have been working on it when I get the chance. Have the wings with servos and the elevators and rudder attached. Hoping to get the rest of the hardware in this week and the engine (Satio 180 with a 18x6 APC) by the weekend. With any luck I will have it in the air Saturday.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:09 PM
JasonInAugusta

Let us know how it does.

I was considering the Saito but I really wanted to go gas with this one.

I just wonder if the Brison 2.4 will have the oomph to hurl this plane the way it should.

Maybe I'll just hangar it and see what the popular gas powerplant/prop seems to be.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:10 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

We also have the Hangar 9 27% Extra 260 here.

Oddly enough, a drunk guy (not sure if he worked at a liquor store or not) came in and pissed on the box. It's been sitting in the back forever, manger says it's going back to Horizon.
LOL! That may be deserved though. I hear they are having problems with the rudder counterbalance breaking off. Would you be willing to sell it at a reduced price instead of sending it back?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:18 PM
kil_r_b

I wanted to go with a DA 50 but I called CG and they said it was too much. All the other gassers seem too heavy. Also I picked up this 180 with only 12 flights on it for $250 so I really couldn’t turn it down. This is my second year behind the stick (rookie compared to most of you) and this is going to be my first 3D. I just crashed for the first time Sunday. I don’t think I will be hovering a foot off the runway for a while so I think the 180 will be ok for me.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Scooterpilot
My Feedback: (5)

Hi All,

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just bit the bullet and placed my order thru Tower@ $355.99 after all the rebates ($385 for club members, minus $30 and free shipping) Not bad at all.

Now all I have to do is decide what motor and servos are going in this model. Anyone have any suggestions?????????

Chuck AKA
Scooterpilot
Old 12-10-2005, 11:39 PM
kil_r_b

I had 4 JR DS811s lying around so I used them in the wings. I use 6 volt batteries so that’s about 60 in per servo. I am going to put JR 4721s on the elevator and rudder using pp on the rudder.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:53 AM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

You'll probably need 30% Heli fuel or even some 35% if you can find it to hover with the 180.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:19 AM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: ben beyer

You'll probably need 30% Heli fuel or even some 35% if you can find it to hover with the 180.
And THAT is the reason I have nothing but gassers now, even considering the wing loading and weight penalties. Spending literally .75 for a day's flying is better for my pocket than $19- $22 for the same duration using a high-nitro breathing glow motor.

I have a cost comparison spreadsheet attached, because I had someone debating the "real" costs of operation once.
In the spreadsheet pictured, the "life span" of the motor is calculated based on 500 flights. It does not reflect "real world" maintenance costs for different motors, nor routine replacement items through the life span of some motors. For example, a gasser would be expected to go MUCH longer than a comparable glow motor without parts replacement, while a frequently used YS type 4 stroke needs routine parts frequently.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42205.gif
Views:	28
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	368164  
Old 12-11-2005, 08:28 AM
e28m5

This is my first big plane so I'll be real interested to see what you more experienced guys end up doing for servos etc. I was pretty amazed that they totally ignore servo recommendations in the manual. This is also my first CG, so maybe that's typical? I definitely won't be the first in the air either, as I'll be watching this thread closely and building (assembling? ) slowly. Plus I don't see any signs of the weather here being flyable anytime soon. I've had a Chapman Cap580 (.40) finished for many weeks, and it has flown exactly twice. Maiden happened in 15kt winds [:'(] - rollout on landing was 4 inches... Maybe I'll be the first to get the Yak flying w/ an OS 1.60 tho. I was really wondering about those aileron servos too when I looked at the box in the LHS. Gotta love the predrilling for the included Robart hinge points tho!
Old 12-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Bob Pastorello

I'd bet your OS 1.60 will do nicely in this airframe! Probably perfect. Goldberg doesn't usually recommend stuff, and their build pics frequently are not, shall we say, "Harsh environment usage", portrayals??

I'm just surprised that I started this thread, some of you have already bought and are building, and no one else has started a build thread on it yet!!! But it's good to see information flowing - let's keep it alive!!

It appears to be "non-aluminum" (note that I am not using "composite" as a label [:@] ) landing gear... what do you suppose it's made of, and do you have weights of that???
Old 12-11-2005, 08:57 AM
e28m5

A little scale for you - that's my 8-yr old son in there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25123.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	368186  
Old 12-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Bob Pastorello

Great pic, but you'd better open up the cowl with some breathing holes before the DHS hears about it!!!

Wing comes out of the box with those CF anti-rotation pins, or you did that?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Scooterpilot

Servo

This is my first BIG plane. I"ve had a Slow Poke, UCD 60, Koyosho Flip, but not one this size. I've been flying a few years but I'm no expert 3D pilot, but I do enjoy 3D/precision flying. So needless to say, I'm concerned that I'm buying the right servos and motor for this model.

For the push/pull rudder I'm considering the Hitec 6985HB servo? What to you think about this servo for the rudder? Does it have enough tork or do I need a servo with more tork? For the rest of the control surfaces, I was thinking about the 6635HB which has 69.43 oz/in of tork @ 0.18. Is that enough for the other surfaces? I'll be running a 4.8V system.

As far as the motor goes, I was thinking about a Saito 180. The reason why I selected th is motor is I really don't know anything about GAS motors and don't have a clue what gas motor would be good on this plane? Also, I want to keep the wing loading as light as possible and I thought a gas motor would put me over the edge, as far as wing loading is concerned. I believe the 180 would keep the wing loading light and yet be able to pull this plane without any problem. Am I thinking wrong here?????? I read someone comment earlier in a post the Saito 180 would be marginal for this plane to hover? It concerned me!

If anyone has recommendations for a Gas motor, I'd very much like to hear which motor you'd recommend and why?

Thanks a bunch

Chuck AKA Scooterpilot
Old 12-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Scooterpilot

Servo

This is my first BIG plane. I"ve had a Slow Poke, UCD 60, Koyosho Flip, but not one this size. I've been flying a few years but I'm no expert 3D pilot, but I do enjoy 3D/precision flying. So needless to say, I'm concerned that I'm buying the right servos and motor for this model.

For the push/pull rudder I'm considering the Hitec 6985HB servo? What to you think about this servo for the rudder? It has 144oz/in at 0.16 on a 4.8V system. Does it have enough tork or do I need a servo with more tork? For the rest of the control surfaces, I was thinking about the 6635HB which has 69.43 oz/in of tork @ 0.18. Is that enough for the other surfaces? I'll be running a 4.8V system.

As far as the motor goes, I was thinking about a Saito 180. The reason why I selected th is motor is I really don't know anything about GAS motors and don't have a clue what gas motor would be good on this plane? Also, I want to keep the wing loading as light as possible and I thought a gas motor would put me over the edge, as far as wing loading is concerned. I believe the 180 would keep the wing loading light and yet be able to pull this plane without any problem. Am I thinking wrong here?????? I read someones comment earlier in a post and they thought the Saito 180 would be marginal for this plane to hover? It concerned me!

If anyone has recommendations for a Gas motor, I'd very much like to hear which motor you'd recommend and why?

Thanks a bunch

Chuck AKA Scooterpilot
Old 12-11-2005, 09:29 AM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

I am still thinking about a 26 size gas ( Evolution 26 actually ). The specs call for a 1.2 to a 2.4, and the 26 would be in the middle, plus the engine is very compact and pretty light....It's still a toss up for now....
Old 12-11-2005, 10:18 AM
e28m5

Wing comes out of the box with those CF anti-rotation pins, or you did that?
That's the way it comes - nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.