Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

ULTRA RC KATANA XTREME - new release

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

ULTRA RC KATANA XTREME - new release

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 08:19 PM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KATANA XL - new release

[&:]
Old 10-21-2006, 04:24 PM
dhooks

Old 10-22-2006, 06:58 PM
dhooks

A week later here we are.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:43 AM
FentonFlyer
My Feedback: (11)

Patience,patience
He is in New Jersery and if the weather is anything like Michigan, I can understand why he hasn't flown it yet. I'm watching this one close for a new home for my Brison 2.4.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:56 AM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

I am going out with them to watch and hopefully get a little stick time on it. We have not been able to go any day in the past 2 weeks due to 25mph+ winds and rain EVERYDAY.

The plane weighs 9.5lbs I believe with an O.S. 160 and uses the same construction techniques as the Giles. Its going to be great I am sure. I

If you saw what is involved in gettign a plane ready for sale, you'd see its no easy task. I saw them take the pics for the website and just taking the pic of the harware pack all laid out with the hundreds of little pieces took over an hour!!

They are working on getting a few new planes released all at the same time, so just bare with them. I want one of these too, so I am anxious as well. From what I saw over the weekend, they are ready to fly and the pictures have been taken. Should be up on their site soon.

Tumbler

Old 10-23-2006, 07:35 PM
dhooks

I just want to know what the cost is going to be so I know if I need to hold off an get one or drop coin on something else.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:34 AM
FentonFlyer
My Feedback: (11)

Eric or Brian,

Do you know if they've done any testing with gas engines?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:43 AM
TUMBLER

I don't know but I would read the Ultra-RC Giles thread. Anythign that works in the Giles will work in the Katana. I have the the MVVS 1.6 gas motor in mine and has tons of power. Anything up to a 40CC motor would be ok. You could put a DA 50 on there i am sure, but would make it so much heavier, you would be killing the perfomance. Lighter flys better! For best perfromance I would think a Saito 1.80, O.S. 1.60, or MVVS 1.6. They would give the overall best power to weight ratio.

Tumbler
Old 10-24-2006, 09:48 AM
TUMBLER

Dan,

The Giles is $369.......I'd set aside $369 and you should be ok.

Tumble
Old 10-27-2006, 07:12 PM
dhooks

Yup but do I set it aside or drop it on something else?[&:]
Old 11-07-2006, 09:55 AM
TUMBLER

Well, I finally got to fly the Katana. I did everything I could think of with it and was pleased with everyting. Two things I found to be suprisingly easy were inverted harriers and high alpha knife edge. The inverted harriers are effortless and have no wing rock WHATSOEVER. There is so much freak'n rudder authority(which seems to be the characteristic of all Katanas) it does knife edge literally at a walking pace.

Speaking of rudder authority, I am not that good at them but saw the owner do a knife edge loop without even needing the full power of the OS 160.

There isn't really much else I can say except that it does everything as well or better than the Giles. I personly like the looks of the Katana over the Giles, but thats just personal preference.

The website is now up with pics of the Katana in 2 color schemes, Rock and Roll artistic freestyle plane, Evolution pattern plane, 87" and 107" Yak's, and Ryan STA small electric. ULTRA-RC.COM

Tumbler

Old 11-07-2006, 02:31 PM
dhooks

Hmmm Ive bought serveral planes since I first saw this thread, what can I sell to get a Katana.[&:]
Old 11-07-2006, 06:19 PM
TOFAST4U2C
My Feedback: (2)

Tumbler, the Giles is not a floater and needs to land hot. Is the Katana a floater and slow lander? I wanted to try a 40cc gasser in the Katana, weighs 3.1 lbs. Any thoughts?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:49 AM
Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: TUMBLER

... The inverted harriers are effortless and have no wing rock WHATSOEVER.
Most people report that their 3D planes harrier better inverted and without wing rock. Everyone hopes to get a plane that harriers upright without wing rock. Can you comment on the quality of the KATANA XL's upright harriers? Does it wing rock?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:44 AM
TUMBLER

In an upright harrier, I'd say hardly any wing rock at all. I did a couple parachutes which transitioned into a harrier with NO snap out at all and floated down at about a 60 degree angle perfectly. Its so light for its size, the wingloading must be next to nothing.

Tumbler
Old 11-08-2006, 10:01 AM
TOFAST4U2C

Tumbler, the Giles is not a floater and needs to land hot. Is the Katana a floater and slow lander? I wanted to try a 40cc gasser in the Katana, weighs 3.1 lbs. Any thoughts?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:01 AM
TUMBLER

I don't know how else to say it except you are doing something wrong. It litterally floats in. I remember having a dead stick and continuing down farther past the runway because I knew how far it glides. I hear someone say what the he-- is he doing. I continued on about 300 feet past the runway, then turn around and came back and landed on the runway. The Ultra planes glide like no other plane I have flown......well I guess a trainer I would estimate the landing speed of this plane at maybe 10-15mph. When I land it it rolls out less than 5 feet. It is definetly a "floater" and the lightest wing loading you will find next to a foamy.

In my opinion the plane would handle a 40 or even a 50cc engine with no problem. If you want it to perform at its best, you should keep it light with a 1.60, 1.80, etc, but I have flown the Giles with a 40cc gasser and the difference is negligible. i wouldn't worry about the extra weight.

Let the plane slow down. you are probably landing it faster than you need to.

Tumbler

ORIGINAL: TOFAST4U2C

Old 11-08-2006, 10:15 AM
TOFAST4U2C

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Eric.Henderson

I had two Giles's that wanted to land "hot". Basically they would start to run out of elevator at slow speeds and drop the last couple of feet to the runway. This told me that they were nose heavy. After I moved the CG back they floated in and could be flared at very low landing speeds. The third Giles that I built was set right and landed like it was on egg shells.

My Katana was set right in the first place and floated in, in dead calm air. BTW, I had put CF rods inside the legs and they showed no signs of damage after a few "bounces!" when tyring to stretch the landings. With the CG right and a 5 mph head wind you can land them at almost a stop!

Regards,

Eric.

ORIGINAL: TOFAST4U2C

Old 11-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Absolut Yak
My Feedback: (4)

My UltraRC Giles 202 weighs 9.7# with an OS 1.08 on a Jerry Smith pipe. Flies unbelievably light and has plenty of power to go straight up as long as you like. No sweat with walls and hovering at sub 10 feet. My theory is lighter is better. The Katana sounds like a great airframe for something like a Saito 125.

Doug
Old 11-09-2006, 07:04 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait is over gents, the website has been updated along with some other NICE airplanes, Ultra seems to be raising the bar and getting better and better. I am impressed

now I just need to crash a few more to make room for this beutiful Katana!

http://www.ultra-rc.com/katanax/index.html
Old 11-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Mike Parsons

I would love to convert this plane to electric. I noticed that they have two schemes, but the purple and yellow look the best. I have a Hacker A60 and 10S that would be awesome in it.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:03 PM
Eric.Henderson

Good news! There is no no need to convert the plane to electric.

It is supplied so that it can be built either way according to the instructions.

The Pipe-tunnel is designed to either hold a pipe or a battery "cage". All you have to do is choose which motor and pack that you would like to use and specify when you order?

Regards,

Eric.

ORIGINAL: Mike Parsons

I would love to convert this plane to electric. I noticed that they have two schemes, but the purple and yellow look the best. I have a Hacker A60 and 10S that would be awesome in it.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Mike Parsons

I think I just soiled myself
ORIGINAL: Eric.Henderson

Good news! There is no no need to convert the plane to electric.

It is supplied so that it can be built either way according to the instructions.

The Pipe-tunnel is designed to either hold a pipe or a battery "cage". All you have to do is choose which motor and pack that you would like to use and specify when you order?

Regards,

Eric.

ORIGINAL: Mike Parsons

[sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 11-14-2006, 08:26 PM
dirtdiver07

I had just heard about the Katana Md from Precision Aerobatics yesterday and now the XL from Ultra RC today. That's two planes that I have to buy now. You guys need to stop designing planes so I can save some money lol! I think I will definitely be putting an electric setup in this one. The PJS 10000 should be perfect !

Nathan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.