Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Down and right thrust

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Down and right thrust

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:05 PM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Down and right thrust

I have a Cap 232 and there is a lot of down and right thrust in it. For 3D flying do I need down and right thrust?

Thanks

Paul
Old 02-02-2008, 09:11 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Down and right thrust

You might.

Right thrust is common in general for most planes. How much depends on the setup. The designer may have found that down thrust made the plane handle a little better. I would fly it and see before I go trying to undo anything
Old 02-02-2008, 09:17 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Down and right thrust

KI8FR:

Is the airplane flying well and as it should be? Most aircraft, real and model have build in right thrust to offset engine torque effects. Expect anything from 1/2 to 3 % with 2 most common. Down thrust is a little unusual. If you are in a club, get with a pattern flyer a little. They spend half their life dialing in those things to mfg. specks. Saw one last year that called for 1/2% positive at wing, 1/2% negative at elevator. Not many guys out there that has the equipment to actually measure that closely. Anyway, if the thrust is off, its a factory goof, not that unusual. If you think its off based on flying, get some thrust plates from Hays, comes in 3 different sizes. Set upl plates to they can be inset easially, go to the field and play looking for improvement, never more than 2% at a time. You would probably get better results playing with the CG. 1/4" makes a big difference from stable to wild. Wild is not always bad. Before you start playing with anything, be sure it ballances side to side. ENJOY