Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Looking for my first large 3D plane.

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Looking for my first large 3D plane.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:48 PM
HitecMan
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for my first large 3D plane.

I have been flying profiles, and I am really to get into larger planes, possibly gas. Money is a bit tight, but I want some bang for my buck. Any suggestions?
Old 03-25-2009, 10:53 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Looking for my first large 3D plane.

Whats your budget? got a motor in mind,what radio?
Larger planes fly better, 1.20 -1.60 size is nice and affordable.
After that 50cc is a good step if you have the $
Old 03-25-2009, 11:31 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my first "large scale" 3d bird was a Wild Hare Edge 1.20 size(1/4 scale) i still have it, and i love it
Old 03-25-2009, 11:59 PM
N429EM

ORIGINAL: HitecMan

I have been flying profiles, and I am really to get into larger planes, possibly gas. Money is a bit tight, but I want some bang for my buck. Any suggestions?
Did you really mean, GAS? Or, did you mean Nitro? Nowadays it really does make a difference.

EJ
Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 AM
flygilmore

Yeah, your question was waaaay too vague...we need to know more. What equipment do you allready have-motors, servos, batts, experience etc. Also, how much money are you willing to spend on "this plane and supporting equipment"? Answer these things clearly and folks could better suggest something for you.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:00 AM
highfly24

I like the Hangar 9 27% Extra 260 .It is a 50cc gasser and it is awsome. It does everything you could ever want, and more! Im telling you to get one of those. IT is great. It is the best plane i have ever flown and I have flown some nice and big planes! Check out my profile and my models galleries for more info.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:21 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Im with Metallicajunky, I started with my Wild Hare Baby Edge 540 (1.60 glow size) and have been flying it for three years now. Over the past three years or shortly after flying the Baby Edge 540 I started saving up my money to purchase a 50CC gasser. You can sometimes find really good deals on used 50cc gassers plane engine and all. Well after slowly buying a 50cc plane, chooseing my gass engine, and radio gear, this year I finally get to step into the gas engine world. I hear its like the day when you dad took your training wheels off your first bicycle. and Im looking forward to it. Good luck and have a great time.
NEDYOB
Old 03-26-2009, 05:12 PM
ImHooked

Go gas. You can buy good 50cc engines now for 350.00-400.00 bucks. You won't touch a big nitro for that and they burn way more of the expensive fuel. Even if you end up with a 1.20 size plane, put a 26cc +/- gas in it. I have already been shipped the new DL-55 and will very soon be ordering the Aeroworks 260 to put in. Just kind of going at it a little at time, as money becomes available. Do yourself a favor and check out the Aeroworks planes and get as big as you can. The bigger they are, the better they fly! (as long as it's the right plane).

Good luck with your plans.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Uncas

Great Planes Ultimate Bipe. So far the best plane I have owned. You can go glo or gas.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:33 PM
nitro wing

Its co
ORIGINAL: highfly24

I like the Hangar 9 27% Extra 260 .It is a 50cc gasser and it is awsome. It does everything you could ever want, and more! Im telling you to get one of those. IT is great. It is the best plane i have ever flown and I have flown some nice and big planes! Check out my profile and my models galleries for more info.
Its common knowledge that the H9 260 (while a decent airframe ) is not ideal for a 50cc gasser and does not fly that well with a big gasser in the nose.Many have done it and after flying a bigger airframe the results are obvious.Its a "tweaner" and just a costly mid step if one was going for 50cc planes.Its not my opinion,its based on field results by many pilots.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:26 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with nitro wing. If you're going with a gasser, go with something with atleast an 84" inch wingspan, around 16 pounds or so. Wildhare has some GREAT 50cc planes and has combo deals with the 3mm motor, prop, hardware kit and spinner at a very reasonable price
Old 03-27-2009, 10:38 AM
flygilmore

Everyone and their brother are going to tell you something different on a thread like this that's common sense. Your best bet is to search the threads and based on the majority, use that info to help in purchasing your plane/supporting equipment. Anyone with any sense will tell you to buy the best you can afford-especially in servos, RX, batts. etc. so you only buy once and can transfer those things to other future planes. I personally like the Hitec 7955TG and use them throughout in my Extreme Flight 88" Yak-they will power anything you may ever want to fly. If you buy cheap, you will be buying twice most likely. As far as the plane goes, 50cc should be 84"+ do yourself a HUGE FAVOR and forget about the "betweeners" such as the Hangar9 260 mentioned above and the Great Plane performance series Yak, Sukhoi, Edge (the Ultimate is really nice though) as they end up with a high wingloading. Many people claim how good they fly but those very people have never owned an Extreme Flight plane, PAU, Wildhare etc.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:58 AM
HitecMan
My Feedback: (43)

I like the idea of starting off as a a mid size airplane such as the baby edge and then working my way into a larger airplane. What would be a good set up for the baby edge?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:14 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

I believe there is a build thread on the baby edge on the Wildhare forum. It's in the giant scale/ 3D forum. Lots of good info there
Old 04-08-2009, 08:37 AM
highfly24

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

Its co

Its common knowledge that the H9 260 (while a decent airframe ) is not ideal for a 50cc gasser and does not fly that well with a big gasser in the nose.Many have done it and after flying a bigger airframe the results are obvious.Its a "tweaner" and just a costly mid step if one was going for 50cc planes.Its not my opinion,its based on field results by many pilots.
Mine flies great! i have done everything the plane will do and it will even do more than i can do. It's only problem is that at high speed it likes to snap out kinda easy. I love mine, and i have had some big planes, and this is my favorite. It torque rolls the best i have ever flown. I love it. Engine runs great and it is not too much power for it. You should try it before you go putting it down. We have the Hitec HS 7955's on all surfaces. it does pattern flying very well too.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:31 AM
tlandon
My Feedback: (15)

www.dawghouserc.net - DHRC Yak 55sp, 87", 30% Gas Airplane - $499 shipped
www.hobbycity.com - Turnigy 50cc Gas Motor - $236 plus shipping
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22287.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1175706  
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Daniel Z

I`m way too curious about that engine... they claim to outperform a DL! to good to be true?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Uncas

ORIGINAL: flygilmore

Everyone and their brother are going to tell you something different on a thread like this that's common sense. Your best bet is to search the threads and based on the majority, use that info to help in purchasing your plane/supporting equipment. Anyone with any sense will tell you to buy the best you can afford-especially in servos, RX, batts. etc. so you only buy once and can transfer those things to other future planes. I personally like the Hitec 7955TG and use them throughout in my Extreme Flight 88" Yak-they will power anything you may ever want to fly. If you buy cheap, you will be buying twice most likely. As far as the plane goes, 50cc should be 84"+ do yourself a HUGE FAVOR and forget about the "betweeners" such as the Hangar9 260 mentioned above and the Great Plane performance series Yak, Sukhoi, Edge (the Ultimate is really nice though) as they end up with a high wingloading. Many people claim how good they fly but those very people have never owned an Extreme Flight plane, PAU, Wildhare etc.
I agree with flygilmore. I will argue that my GP Ultimate has really great wing loading even with a DA-50. I also have the GP YAK and the wing loading is way too high - around 30 oz/sq ft.

The GP Reactor 1.60 has the best wing loading (huge wing area) of any 50cc class aerobatic plane I have seen, it is cheap - a great bargain, and being GP, you can always get spare parts.

The point I am trying to make is pay attention to wing loading on these planes. Low to mid twenties is good, up around 30 and you no longer have a 3D plane.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:39 PM
nitro wing

Its co

Mine flies great! i have done everything the plane will do and it will even do more than i can do. It's only problem is that at high speed it likes to snap out kinda easy. I love mine, and i have had some big planes, and this is my favorite. It torque rolls the best i have ever flown. I love it. Engine runs great and it is not too much power for it. You should try it before you go putting it down. We have the Hitec HS 7955's on all surfaces. it does pattern flying very well too.
I know the plane very well.The wingloading is too high with a 50cc for my style.I did not see anything substantial in your gallery that is a big 50cc?
I have flown 80 inch Extras on 50cc and also a BME Edge and an EF Extra 300(much much bigger than the H9) and a few others belonging to club members.Got some stick time on the H9 260.
As mentioned I like the plane itself, but its not ideal for a 50cc performance engine.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:16 PM
highfly24

Its co

I know the plane very well.The wingloading is too high with a 50cc for my style.I did not see anything substantial in your gallery that is a big 50cc?
I have flown 80 inch Extras on 50cc and also a BME Edge and an EF Extra 300(much much bigger than the H9) and a few others belonging to club members.Got some stick time on the H9 260.
As mentioned I like the plane itself, but its not ideal for a 50cc performance engine.
I know what your saying. But the worst plane is the Chip Hyde Cap-x- its snaps like a mother effer. But i dont own any bigger airplanes. I have just flown them They are my buddies in the Club.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:16 PM
octanehuffer

H9 260 on 50cc is a turd. Period.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 PM
rcmaster12

just a small question, but should i be using a powerbox or something like that for 3D flying in a 50cc size plane?