RCU Forums - View Single Post - Da 150 Noise
Thread: Da 150 Noise
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2002, 02:10 PM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cans vs std.

I run cans and a 3 balde. Contrary to Kelly's post, I run PEFA's on a 3W-150SS and saw an INCREASE in RPMs. If you know someone who had a DECREASE, they need to check the header length. Also, the PEFAs have a crossover tube which makes mid-range run very well. There are even some new ones being developed in Germany which have tiny blades inside the cans. My understanding is that Roland Matt flew these at the TOC. I am not sure when they will be available, but maybe Garrett will drop in here and let us know more.

Bottom line is that you can get a slight increase in power with most cans. They add about 2 lbs to the plane so the weight generally counterbalances the extra power.

Standard and a 3 blade on a DA -150 will pass the ground tests, but the ground test is not a true measure. ANYONE can pass the ground test by reducing the ATV on their throttle. The true test is in the air. 3 Blade and std mufflers will fly all sequences with proper throttle management and not be scored too loud. The flip side is that even with proper throttle management, it would be very difficult to get the the sound bonus points with this set up.

If you go with cans and a 3 blade, the sound bonus is fairly easy to achieve with proper throttle management. Getting a too loud is still possible with this set-up, but you really have to abuse the throttle to get it.

Many people take the position of "Well, if I can pass the ground test, I can make up the rest in the air and not worry about the sound score." Well, so many times, I have seen very close scores. In Advance in the NC region, we often saw the top 4 or 5 seperated by less than 100 points. I came in 3rd in Sportsman in one contest and beat the 4th place guy by 9 points. We both had quiet set-ups, but if I had been noisy and he was quiet, he would have walked away with the wood.

Your RadioCraft is already set-up for cannisters. It is simply a matter of installing them. I would highly suggest cans.

Keith