Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Da 150 Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 05:13 PM
otterdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Da 150 Noise

I am putting together a 40% radiocraft with a DA150. My Question is will it it meet sound restrictions with STD mufflers and a 3 blade prop.Or do I have to go to cannisters for IMAC. Thanks. Mark,
Old 12-28-2002, 10:49 PM
RightThrust
My Feedback: (4)

Default Da 150 Noise

Mark, that combo will run around 93 db on grass. What it borderline is anything with a 2 blade prop, forget standards with a menz-s. As far as passing a sound test you will be fine but will be borderline if the regs are lowered anymore. In IMAC it's always better to be quiet than borderline. After you pass the ground test you also should worry about sound in the air, the judges can score a too loud. If you can afford it, run cans. The K&S have shown to cause a slight increase in power unlike the PeFa's which are incredibly quiet but take a few hundred off. Hope this helped.

-Kelly
Old 12-29-2002, 07:38 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Da 150 Noise

I've seen one go on a 40% Edge and with a 2 blade prop. It was more than unbearable. Cubdriver I'm sure you've heard the difference between a R-985 with a 2 blade prop and a 3 blade prop; it is night and day.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:10 PM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Default cans vs std.

I run cans and a 3 balde. Contrary to Kelly's post, I run PEFA's on a 3W-150SS and saw an INCREASE in RPMs. If you know someone who had a DECREASE, they need to check the header length. Also, the PEFAs have a crossover tube which makes mid-range run very well. There are even some new ones being developed in Germany which have tiny blades inside the cans. My understanding is that Roland Matt flew these at the TOC. I am not sure when they will be available, but maybe Garrett will drop in here and let us know more.

Bottom line is that you can get a slight increase in power with most cans. They add about 2 lbs to the plane so the weight generally counterbalances the extra power.

Standard and a 3 blade on a DA -150 will pass the ground tests, but the ground test is not a true measure. ANYONE can pass the ground test by reducing the ATV on their throttle. The true test is in the air. 3 Blade and std mufflers will fly all sequences with proper throttle management and not be scored too loud. The flip side is that even with proper throttle management, it would be very difficult to get the the sound bonus points with this set up.

If you go with cans and a 3 blade, the sound bonus is fairly easy to achieve with proper throttle management. Getting a too loud is still possible with this set-up, but you really have to abuse the throttle to get it.

Many people take the position of "Well, if I can pass the ground test, I can make up the rest in the air and not worry about the sound score." Well, so many times, I have seen very close scores. In Advance in the NC region, we often saw the top 4 or 5 seperated by less than 100 points. I came in 3rd in Sportsman in one contest and beat the 4th place guy by 9 points. We both had quiet set-ups, but if I had been noisy and he was quiet, he would have walked away with the wood.

Your RadioCraft is already set-up for cannisters. It is simply a matter of installing them. I would highly suggest cans.

Keith
Old 12-30-2002, 08:58 PM
otterdriver

Default DA 150 noise

Thanks for all the info. I think I will go with the canisters this will be my first year in unlimited I will need every extra point I can get. Now to decide which one to get I herd there was a new 2 into 1 that had real good power characteristics but have not seen it for sale any where... Thanks again. Mark,
Old 12-30-2002, 09:08 PM
Fly4Fun2

Default Da 150 Noise

Hey Mark -

The only 2 into 1 I have seen is only for the 100cc engines. Nice set-up, but I would stick with twin cans for a 150cc. Just out of curiosity, I see you are in Alaska - where do you compete?

Keith
Old 12-30-2002, 09:29 PM
Don Miller

Default Da 150 Noise

Mark,

The cans would be a definite for the 40% RadioCraft Extra in my opinion for two reasons. You will most likely need the extra weight from the cans for balance (+ 2 lbs), and the power gain will also help a bunch on that large 40%er (+250 rpm). These were the main two reasons for me, however the quiet sound is a plus as well. I would also not use a three blade on this plane from a performance standpoint. You can get a quiet two blade and have better performance as well. For example on a 3W-150 a Fuchs 33x12 or 32x12 has great performance and is very quiet. A DA user could probably give you a suggestion on a quiet 2 blade prop for the DA-150.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:32 PM
otterdriver

Default DA 150 noise

Hi Don and Keith I have a 32x 12 NX from airwild to try and a 29x12 3 blade airmodel on order I might have to try a FUCHs also.Keith we have 3 club that are active in IMAC up here Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Kenai,we are going to have our annual ALASKA AEROBATIC CHALLENGE in the first week of august we have a T O C pilot coming to put on some demos and maybe a fishing trip or two. Thanks Mark,
Old 12-31-2002, 01:29 AM
Fly4Fun2

Default Da 150 Noise

Sounds like a great time. I have always wanted to go to Alaska. I can save you some time on the Fuchs. We tried an AirModels on a 3W150 and a Fuchs on a DA. It was weird, but the DA did not like the Fuchs and the 3W did not like the airmodels. At $200/prop, it is nice to borrow to try. We did not try a 2 blade Fuchs on the DA.

the MSP props are also very popular and work well on both the 3W and DA.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:45 AM
Don Miller

Default Da 150 Noise

My wife and I were in Alaska in June of 1998. Flew in to Anchorage and then made day trips to various places. This is by far the most beautiful place we have ever been. I can see why so many go there to visit and then end up moving there.

I don't have any experience with the NX props, and since I have only flown 3W I can't comment on the 3 blade AM either. I do know that the AM would not be enough losd for the 3W. From what I have experienced and seen the DA likes more RPM and the 3W likes lower RPM, or more load.

Two areas of caution on the RC Extra. Check the diagonal braces in the fuse and make sure thay are of suffecient strength. Mine were real soft balsa and I broke five of the eight on the first flight. You should also invest in a carbon fiber wing tube. I am enjoying my RC Extra very much. I wish you the best of luck on yours.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:29 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default Da 150 Noise

cubdriver:
feed me some pics if you have any. I will be installing a 3W-150 on cans in my Radiocraft that arrived 9 Dec.

Hi Don M and have a happy new year....
Old 12-31-2002, 04:46 AM
otterdriver

Default DA 150 noise

Thanks Don for the info I checked my diagonals they all seem to be glued good and reasonably stiff.And I have carbon tubes coming from DA. I really liked the RC showcase tuned cans on my ZDZ single any of you guys tried them on a DA or 3-W. krayzc I havn't took any pics yet I am painting the trim on my canopy tonight I will try to get some the next day or so. Thanks. Mark,
Old 12-31-2002, 01:17 PM
Don Miller

Default Da 150 Noise

Hello Gerald,

Happy New Year to you!

I have some pictures of my Extra on my web site if you want to take a look, here is the address. http://miller.don.home.mindspring.com

The canister installation in the RadioCraft is real easy. I have a 3W-150TS with the new Turbine canister mufflers and the installation was done in one evening. I even had the tunnel painted and sealed with thinned epoxy.

Take care,
Old 12-31-2002, 02:08 PM
Fly4Fun2

Default Da 150 Noise

Hey Don -

How are the turbine cannisters? I have heard a little about them, but wonder how they compare to the PEFA Crossover cans? I hear they are super quiet.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:29 PM
Don Miller

Default Da 150 Noise

They are very quiet, a noticeable difference as compared to the older Pefas. However not a tremendous difference, just noticeable. I recently sold my 39% Aeroworks Edge 540T that had the older crossover cans, so I am able to make a reasonable comparison. Now I have to say that the new style 3W-150TS with the new cans runs a lot smoother than my older version 3W! Has wonderful power as well and I only have 8 flights to date, so it should get even better. I don't know if that is because of the cans, engine or a combination or both. I would imagine it's the latter.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:35 AM
otterdriver

Default DA 150 noise

Hi krayzc I finally got some pics I had a hard time finding paint to match the ultra kote blue I came up with topflite Lustrekote sapphire blue matches really good.I didn't like looking down in bare fuselage so I covered the bottom of the canopy with trans blue. Hey Don your plane turn out great looking makes me wish I would have got the ARC . Thanks . Mark,
Old 01-05-2003, 05:41 AM
krayzc-RCU

Default Da 150 Noise

cubdriver
the pic looks great! I am finning to get on mine. I have a few small projects to take care of this week and then i should be able to get the groove going. what all gear will you be running on your set-up?

don was that the all white version you started out with? you really did a job on that scheme. i have the all white version.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Don Miller

Default Da 150 Noise

Hi Gerald,

It sure was the solid white version like yours, thanks for the comments.

Other than the wing tube bending issue, I really enjoy flying this plane. It ended up being a great combination with my set up. I just moved my flight batteries back about 10", I plan to try out the new CG this afternoon.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:15 AM
otterdriver

Default DA 150 noise

Hi krayzc I am going to put 5945 in the ailerons and elevators not sure on rudder yet going to see how it balances I am hoping to put rudder servos in rear in factory cutouts if balance allows me to without adding weight I have decided on can pipes still don't know which ones. carbon wing and tail tubes PBG.29x12 airmodel prop. futaba 9-C two 149DPs 2 4000ma nickel metals on rec. 1500 on ignition. flitelite pilot. Mark,
Old 01-10-2003, 05:18 PM
krayzc-RCU

Default Da 150 Noise

sounds like a plan cubdrive:
i plan to start glueing my hinges in next week. i still have to get on the phone today or monday and order some wing bags, control horns any pics out there of doing the jumbos on the rudder as i am looking to use 2-5735 hitec there? i also need to pick up some pulley and rope at home depot as i plan to hang this fuse from the ceiling of the garage.