RCU Forums - View Single Post - 85 ft Harbor Tug/Angels Gate
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Kaymac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 85 ft Harbor Tug/Angels Gate

Hi Tug,
As I mentioned, I am interested in your offer of a good copy of the magazine article.
If you or anyone else know of a source that might have an original magazine, that would become part of the tug display and would finish the project....or on second thought, does a project ever really end?

On that subject, I finished my tug in August, sailed her a number of times with great results except when I found out that CA glue isn't waterproof....my bow thruster sprung a leak and severely tested my bilge pump! I couldn't figure why she began riding low in the water until I saw two separate streams of water coming out the side. I should only have the engine cooling stream but there was this mysterious second stream towards the front. Then I realized that was the bilge working. So, back to the bench for some epoxy repairs. Once I opened her up and removed most of the guts, I decided to re-plumb all the plastic tubing and properly bend, solder and install brass plumbing. I also decided to connect my deck lights to the smoke generator to let me know it is on. Now this may sound a little strange as one would think that it should be fairly evident that a smoke unit is on...but, ..when the unit runs out of smoke fluid, and you don't notice it is still on, it can quickly burn the element out. So, now. if the lights are on and the smoke isn't showing...well, you get the picture.
The next task will be to figure how to run a pipe to a fire monitor that allows me to remove the cabin without having to dismantle the piping. As I said, is it ever done?
Cheers
Keith