Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

85 ft Harbor Tug/Angels Gate

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

85 ft Harbor Tug/Angels Gate

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 09:17 AM
RCBOATMANIAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 ft Harbor Tug/Angels Gate

Hi Ya'll, Well I'd like to say there is nothing more exciting than to run a scale tug around the pond and spray people with water, but there is a tug I would like to add to my collection. So it can sit along side my Mister Darby. I have been looking and so far with no success I cannot find a kit, I am looking for a 85 ft Harbor tug I know they exist because I have been able to find pics of it and it is very impressive. It is about 2 inches longer than the Darby the beam is roughly the same, but the running weight is 80 pounds compared to the Darby 60 pounds. If anybody out there has any info on where I can find this tug Please let me know. If I can add them I will try and add the pics of the tug I am talking about. Again Thanks Dave[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40277.jpg
Views:	3777
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	420549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27390.jpg
Views:	1088
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	420550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91583.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	420551  
Old 03-05-2006, 09:45 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 85 ft Harbor Tug/Angels Gate

Can you use a Latina hull and do the rest from pictures ? [sm=thumbup.gif]
I did that with the Rotterdam.

Only I know the differences.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:05 AM
grinder-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

In the bottom of pic #1 is the lettering BMYC. I googled that and came up with this. http://www.orilliapronet.com/bmyc/ Maybe you can contact the club or website owner and ask them if they know the owner of the tug in the pic. There is also a mebership list on the site maybe you can find the name of the owner in there somewhere.

Grinder.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:10 AM
cyclops2

She is at www.lamaritimemuseum.org

EDIT

They might sell copies of the plans or kits ?
Old 03-05-2006, 10:10 AM
RCBOATMANIAC

I'd prefer a complete kit I have good building skills, but to go with limited pic and then to go from pics to actually building my success isn't very high, and I end up getting discouraged and give up on it. If it is something that is in a blueprint form with dimensions I have a very high success rate. What does the Latina Hull look like, maybe if all else fails maybe I can give it a try. Thanks Dave
Old 03-05-2006, 10:17 AM
LtDoc

Dave,
Just as a guess I'd have to say start gathering things, you're going to have to do some scratch building. I also think 'Grinder' has the right idea, just hope you can find the builder and that he happened to make a bunch of plans while he was building.
Something else you may want to start thinking about is how you're going to transport the monster when you get it built - LOL. Got a hydraulic crane on the back of your truck??
- 'Doc

PS - Not that I'm trying to discourage you! If I had the chance I'd probably look for the crane later.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:42 AM
RCBOATMANIAC

80 pounds ain't to bad, I was thinking about building a boat trailer for my Darby and use my Bruiser r/c truck to pull it around. I bet people would get a real kick out of that a boat 4 times the size of the truck being towed around. LOL Dave
Old 03-05-2006, 11:08 AM
cyclops2

80# is easy to move around if you plan ahead.

My WW II Higgins 78' is a 8' RC model that water lines at 85 #.

Deck comes off-- 8 speaker and 120 watt amp. on boards comes out-- deep cycle battery comes out-- lead comes out-- that leaves hull, a 41# trolling motor and twin 1/4" drive setup in @ about 25#.
I am 68 and a warm spot in the shoulder is all I get, when I lift it into the trunk of a hatchback Acura. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-05-2006, 01:56 PM
LtDoc

...you got me by a few years, but I've probably got you by a few pounds of laziness! Still looking for that crane...
- 'Doc
Old 03-05-2006, 06:43 PM
cyclops2

After the PTB I learned that size hurts.
I have cut the keel and frames for it's brother. 80' ASR crash boat. 5' long is much better.
1 deck is to be USN [&o]
1 deck is to be a Woodie Runabout triple cockpit. A "Catch Chickie Do's ".
Old 06-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Kaymac

I have plans for the US Army Corps of Engineers small tug ( 85’) that I recently acquired. These are very readable and accurate drawings that are about 1/24 although the finished model is 37” so the actual scale is not quite that.
I decided to build it before I was aware of the existing tug Angel’s Gate and therefore made a few modifications of my own rather than follow the actual boat detail. I’m at the finished hull stage and am working on the superstructure.
This is my first scratch built adventure and I’m pleased with the ease of translating this plan.
Modifications include twin 60mm Kort nozzles driven by two Pittman 3700’s, Bow thrusters with speed control, synchronized smoke and engine sound ( 4’’ mylar speaker, air horn sound card and 2” speaker, water pump simulating engine cooling, bilge pump, fully functional fire monitor with high pressure pump and a full compliment of lighting.
My radio setup is Futaba 9cap with an 8 channel receiver. I’m using twin 12V – 7 AH gel batteries for power through a fan cooledpower center that provides breaker protected 12V, 6V, 5V, and 3V switched terminals
Initial bathtub testing show a strong pull and all functions working well. I look forward to completing this model by fall of this year.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Tug Guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I am not wrong the tug in the first picture of the first post is a tug made with drawings by Francis Smith. That is why the large S on the stack. That plans were sold from an old model boat magazine that is out of business. It is also the first scratch built boat I made. My tug is 36" long as that was the plans scale. I am pretty sure the real tug was a 85 or 90 ft tug. It is an army tug or the or popular Despatch #9 tug.
I do know of a fiberglass maker that makes a kit of hull/deck/pilothouse/stack for $245. If you want his number PM me and I will send it to you. The hull length however is still only 36"

Name:	Yw68446.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	475749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18145.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	475750  
Old 06-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Kaymac

That's the same set of Francis Smith plans that I have. The original boat was 85'.
Nice job on that one...looks great.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Tug Guy

Kaymac I thought it was the same but you can't be sure until the poster verifies it. It was 1986 when I built my tug the magazine was still in business then. I put a Hectoperm motor in mine with a 2.5 to 1 ratio. It can pull/push anything without a sweat. It runs all day long on a 12volt gel cell battery. I put a diesel engine module and ships horn on the boat from Ram I believe it was. I have lights in the mast and safety lights around the cabin, plus the nav lights. I am planning on building another next year when my schedule will allow. I want to install a smoker unit this time out.
Your tug must be a beauty as well. Did you put a lot of time into it. Do you have any pics?
Old 06-11-2006, 08:36 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

tug guy where did you get the kit to build your tug I have looked all over the INTERNET and used various types of descriptions trying to find it and all I can come up with is the website for out in California. The tug you have is it 50 plus inches long I believe the one I found was about 58 inches long. If you have any info please let me know. Thanks Dave
Old 06-11-2006, 10:47 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

The plans you got for the tug if they are duplicated would they still be able to be read to build from them or do you know where I can go to get a copy of the plans for my self. Thanks Dave
Old 06-12-2006, 07:00 AM
Tug Guy

Dave I got my plans in 1986 from the model magazine that went out of business. It wasn't a kit but instead all scratch built, my first boat in fact. I can make a copy of these plans if you need them. You would be able to make a boat from these plans. I have protected them while building for the most part. The plans were drawn up by Francis Smith and were pretty okd when I got them. Let me know how you want to proceed.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:43 AM
RCBOATMANIAC

Tug Guy Yes I would be interested in trying to get a copy of the plans you have, and since I have found that website for Harbormodels I would be able to get all the hardware to outfit it. Let me know How we can go about get a copy of the plans you have. Thanks Dave
Old 06-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Tug Guy

Dave we can do this off the boards and on PM I think is the best way from here on in. look for a PM

*EDIT* Errr..... look for an e mail instead.

ORIGINAL: truckin4dave

Tug Guy Yes I would be interested in trying to get a copy of the plans you have, and since I have found that website for Harbormodels I would be able to get all the hardware to outfit it. Let me know How we can go about get a copy of the plans you have. Thanks Dave
Old 06-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Ken_Smith

Just happened across this discussion board and found you guys talking about the 85' Tug that one of you built from my father's plans.

The one I saw in the pictures looks great!

Here's a picture of Francis Smith taken in July 2004. He is holding a copy of the the December 1974 issue of Model Bulider Magazine.
That is the prototype tug in the foreground.
The cover of the magazine features a picture of the tug that I took.

It's nice to see that my dad's work is still well regarded.

Ken Smith

Name:	Xu62812.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	477486  
The following users liked this post:
Joe C2 (12-01-2022)
Old 06-14-2006, 11:33 AM
Tug Guy

If your dad is still alive and well thank him for me. It was his article and plans that started me on a so far 20 year long hobby of building model boats. I am glad you included a picture of your dad it is nice to see the face of the person that did all this for me. His Tug was my first scratch built boat. I still have it today and it runs as good now as it did the day I built it. Your dad built a great tug I haven't seen anything since to match it. The tug plans were well thought out, The build was made easy and enjoyable.

Tug

ORIGINAL: Ken_Smith

Just happened across this discussion board and found you guys talking about the 85' Tug that one of you built from my father's plans.

The one I saw in the pictures looks great!

Here's a picture of Francis Smith taken in July 2004. He is holding a copy of the the December 1974 issue of Model Bulider Magazine.
That is the prototype tug in the foreground.
The cover of the magazine features a picture of the tug that I took.

It's nice to see that my dad's work is still well regarded.

Ken Smith
Old 06-15-2006, 12:35 AM
Kaymac

Ken, I can't tell you how much I appreciate that picture. I have your Dad's plans and a really bad photocopy of the original magazine article so building the boat has been an adventure in trying various ideas of finishing the detail. So far, this has been the most enjoyable project undertaken yet and when it's done, I'm sure it will offer me long lasting pleasure the same way others have expressed. I'm in no hurry to complete the job...the real fun is in the building.
What really surprised me about your picture is that the color scheme he chose is almost exactly the same as I planned, except the cream color is a bit lighter.
I am posting a picture of page one of the plan and one of the hull with most of the components that will eventually fit in somewhere.
Pass my very best regards to your Dad.

Keith.

Name:	Sq47983.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	477862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78069.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	477863  
Old 06-15-2006, 02:53 AM
2003merc
My Feedback: (1)

Greetings to all. A few months ago a bought a model that someone had starte that seems to be based on Mr. Smiths plans. Its uses a Dumas hull but the superstructure and stack seem to follow the Angels Gate lines. Hope to have it in the water someday. Tug Guy, if theres is someone who produces this boat in kit form, for lack of a better way of putting it, I'd be interested in making a purchase. If possible would you be able to furnish that information? Id appreciate it . Thanks, Merc.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:18 AM
Tug Guy

2003Merc look for a PM back at ya.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Ken_Smith

Hello Keith, Tug & all,

Francis Smith is doing well and he is delighted with fact that you continue to enjoy what he began back in 1974. He just turned 85 last week.

In 1973 & 1974 he developed the plans and built the prototype that is pictured in my first post. Then he built a second model as he was writing the building instructions and the Model Builder magazine article. That is the one shown in the construction pictures in the magazine. I’m not sure what happened to that model. I also built a tug from the plans back in the late 70’s but I think that one is missing as well.

Dad sold the article and plans to the now defunct Model Builder magazine. Articles featuring the tug appeared in the December 1974, January 1975 and February 1975 issues. The “model builder” version of the plans are being sold by someone in western Canada on eBay (auction is there now). My family still retains the original tracings from which the Model Builder plans were drawn.

Dad did produce a limited number of kits which he sold in the late 70’s. Some of them found their way to customers as far away as Australia and New Zealand. In fact dad became friendly with one of his customers in New Zealand and corresponded with him, via mail, for over 20 years.

He gave me one of the kits back then and I finally began to start building it in June 2004 (don’t know what I was waiting for). While it is not yet completely finished, I expect that it will be this summer. I have taken dozens of photographs during its construction.

Keith, as you said, a great deal of enjoyment in this project comes in the building. Thanks for including the pictures. I see that you have decided to go with twin screws. What kind of motors and hardware are you using? It seems that you are heavily into sound too! Let me know how your project progresses if you get a chance.

A couple of pictures attached including one of that kit that remained un-built for so many years.

Ken

Name:	Lj22397.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	478009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77604.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	478010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz70154.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	478011  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.