RCU Forums - View Single Post - I converted a glow engine to run on E85
Old 10-22-2007, 01:47 PM
wingspan99
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I converted a glow engine to run on E85

I got the plugs today, thank you. Those plugs labeled HOT I'm hoping will give good results in the ASP 108 on the E85/GLow mix. If they do work well, I may try increasing the ratio to 3:1, using more E85 with less nitro and I'll just add more oil to get at least 15% synthetic. My Morgan synthetic oil is supposed to arrive on Thursday, that's when I'll be trying both types of plugs. My tach should be here about the same time.

One thing I've been reading about lately is the addition of anti-static agents to fuels. They break the surface tension of the fuel, allowing better vaporization of the fuels from what I can tell. Incredibly small amounts are all that is needed, similar to a single drop of soap breaking the surface tension of water in a bucket. One thing a lot of folks have been experimenting with is acetone in gasoline to do this. Of course there's patented and branded versions like oxytane (.com). The acetone is harsh and can swell most gaskets at least a little, but the ratio used is 3 ounces of acetone to 10 gallons of gasoline. That's 1:433. Reports of increased gas mileage by 20% are not uncommon, and smoother operation and slightly more power at top end. It makes sense to me, fuel is not completely vaporized before combustion takes place so some of it gets wasted or burned late in the power stroke. Some experiments with E85 and Oxytane on a 5hp Briggs motor indicate that the mixture gets richer after it's added to the fuel, and so a stock carb's needle mixture control range is sufficient without re-jetting. That would tell me it changing the stoich of the fuel. I know some glow fuel manufacturers used to add acetone to their fuels, probably for the same reason. I don't know what to think about all these claims made by magic-in-a-bottle manufacturers, so I'm going to just say hmmm, that's interesting. I'm going to try 0.2% acetone in my bike motor's fuel tank on gasoline and see if the mixture goes richer. I've heard the acetone reacts with ethanol to produce ketone, I need more research on that, although acetone is already a ketone. There's so much misinformation and confusion about fuels out there. Sometimes I think an hour spent trying a few things is worth about a week of asking what works, just like the gas/glow thread.