RCU Forums - View Single Post - Yet another Sig Something Extra Build
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 02:51 AM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yet another Sig Something Extra Build

Hi Alex,
Lol. On of my drills weighs about 100 lbs it would mash the thing into toothpicks....

No I did not get a new drill, as a matter of fact the newest is about 15 years old, the oldest is about 80 years old. Although I have a cordless dremel that is only 3 years old, with the right angle adapter it is one neat tool no cord to drag around.
There is an old axiom regarding airplanes in general, "With enough horsepower you can make a brick fly."
Now with the OS 55AX I could push the weight up around 7 pounds or higher and the plane would fly. But by keeping the weight down I will get far better performance out of it.
Any time I build a plane, be it a kit, or my own attempt at design, I have 3 goals, stronger, lighter, faster. That will give me the best performance for a given design. On of the worst parts, for me, being an engineer, I can not ever build anything without trying to improve it. I could build it straight out of the box and it would perform quite nicely give the motor I am using, but I can not resist the urge to tweak it.
I have used fiberglass and epoxy and like what you can do with it, but now given what I want to do in the next few years is to experiment with both wood and composite combos to see what I can come up with....
So bear with me a bit....
This is all a science experiment....

Have you ever looked at this website: http://www.airfieldmodels.com ?

P.S.
I do the worst damage to my planes flying them, done a lot of gopher hunting, so to speak.
Over the years I have found that flying is easy, it is not hitting the ground, that is hard....
And I not even going into dumb things that you can do shooting...