RCU Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Engines?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 03:30 PM
rwbennett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helicopter Engines?

Guys this may be a silly question, but one I've been thinking about none the less. With the options for truely high performance "45" size engines limited to Rossi or costly Nelson/Jetts....would there be an option to use a helicopter 50 size engine in an airplane application.

I would love to get my hands on a NIB YS 45..but seems like they are few and far in between. But YS does make a 50 size helicopter engine and that has me thinking. Could this be used on my speed delta with a 9-8 prop and tuned pipe? From pics looks like it just needs a prop drive and washer.

Also given even the cheapest heli engines run in the high rpm band, they could also be used?...OS, TT, Etc.

I know there's GMS, Tower, Supertigre etc out there with 45 size engines...but nothing like the old YS45....and I just can't sneak a $300.00 engine past the wife. Can pick up a helicopter engine for about $200.00. If this is a totally dumb idea, I can always do as initially planned and go with a new Rossi 45 and full length macs tuned pipe.

what do you think?