RCU Forums - View Single Post - I converted a glow engine to run on E85
Old 03-06-2008, 11:23 PM
sopwith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I converted a glow engine to run on E85

There have been some questions about E85 fuel usage. I will answer as well as I can.

I buy Morgan fuels Green Heavy Kart oil directly from Morgan fuels. When you buy 4 gallons, shipping is free. You have to order by phone, as they have no on line ordering. They are in Alabama, and the number is 334-347-3525. My last order, about a year ago cost me (as I recall) $23.25 per gallon. They have a web site with info but no ordering. I hope this info is still current. I put 12 to 13 fluid ounces of the oil, 8 drops of Armoral (silicon to reduce foaming)in a gallon jug, and fill the remainder with either methanol, E85, or a combination of the two. Adding methanol greatly improves igniton. Adding acetone also helps in cold weather starting (5 to 10 percent, 6 to 12 ounces). Note in the winter E85 can contain up to 30 percent gasoline making the fuel even poorer in a glow engine (the normal mix is 15 percent gasoline).

The heat ratings for glow plugs are misleading. Hot means lower platinum content, cold means higher platinum content. Ignition occurs due to the catalitic reaction of methanol with platinum. If you heat methanol in the presence of platinum it will ignite. If you heat platinum in the presence of methanol, the methanol will ignite. I will try to find a video I have seen showing this, along with any other like info that I can. Since ethanol does not have the strong catalytic reaction as does methanol, you need more platinum. I can only use trial and error for fuel testing, since the glow plug manufacturers do not give actual metalurgy info on their product (and they lie alot as well).

I don't have time to research now, but will try to post some useful info in a couple of days.