RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro Planes A-10 Warthog for 95 dollars
Old 03-29-2008, 07:22 PM
RysiuM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Planes A-10 Warthog for 95 dollars

My UH order arrived - not bad: 8 days (including weekend) from placing the order to arriving it at my door. The lowest shipping (AirMail).

First thing - the motor I ordered was HXT 2435 (370S) 4040kv Brushless Inrunner (see picture below), what I got was the same looking motor but gold instead of purple and the name on the motor was: TURNIGY AERODRIVE xp B2435-4040. I don't know either brand so I don't really care - both are specified as 4040kv, and have the same size and weight. I believe this is the same motor, and brand name is not important. I will not complain about good working motor for 17 dollars.

The second thing as I expected, the motor does not fit GWS EDF-55. This fan can accept motors up to 23.80mm diameter, but this brushless motor is 24.20mm dia. Now don't cream at me . I put the motor on my lathe and I took 0.2mm of the case 14 mm long. It did not hurt the motor but mad it fit int EDF very nicely. The shaft is 2mm so no problem here.

And I should add, that I'm experimenting on my spare EDF unit (the old type with orange rotor). I programmed ESC to the safest parameters (very low timing) and then run it on 2s LiPo. BTW I ordered also Tower pro programming box - very easy to program their ESC.
At WOT the fan got 22k rpm at 6.8V taking 8.7A. This is way to low than I expected. I was looking into 27k rpm from 2s LiPo and current around 12A. This means for that voltage probably the better engine will be something around 5000kv.

Anyway, since my setup does not give me the thrust I wanted, I connected 3s Lipo and measured that. I got around 28-30k rpm (couldn't measure accurate as the EDF unit tried to ingest my rpm meter) and the current was around 15A. This is more like the right power for this bird.

So I will need 3s battery that can deliver 30A const (probably 2500mAh will be OK) and this plane will do all the acrobatics that are specified in the ad.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97206.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	916904