RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sterling plans for America or Emma C Berry
Old 11-23-2009, 05:10 PM
DaveB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sterling plans for America or Emma C Berry

cbinfl,

To answer your question, I did build the larger rudder and installed the control rod (tiller) to steer. The cabin tops are removeable should I (or my heirs) decide to add the ballast. radio gear and sail her. However, I intend to keep "Emma" as a static model because of my personal connection to the real "Emma".

My grandfather was one of the boat builders who restored "Emma" in the 1930's at Morton Johnson's boatyard in Bay Head, N.J. After WWII and Emmas owner, F. Slade Dale, returned from the war, "Emma" was returned to Morts where my father was one of the boatbuilders who again restored "Emma" at Morton Johnson's. in the late 1940's. I can remember as a kid, being on board "Emma" while she was moored at Dales.

As you may know, "Emma" was later donated to the Mystic Seaport in 1969 where she has been restored again as a sloop, which was the original design. "Emma" was declared a "National Historic Landmark" in 1994 and can be seen at Mystic Seaport.

I would very much like to sail "Emma", but I would rather look at her on display in my home every day and be reminded of her history and my family's involvement with her.

DaveB