Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

S&T SRX-M8 Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 04:34 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S&T SRX-M8 Receiver

I noted an auction on that Auction Site Whose Name Cannot Be Said for what was billed as a "universal receiver". Intrigued by the description and low price, two weeks and $91 bucks later, I have a Sky & Technology/enRF Gold Receiver model SRX-M8. Note that most of the following is based on the published info, as I haven't had a chance to test this a great deal yet.

It is an eight channel dual conversion FM PPM synthesized frequency rx, utilizing a button and an LED to program the channels that it will respond to. Mine covers all the 72Mhz band channels, but it's supposedly available in 35, 36 and 75Mhz ranges. It can be programmed to recognize two different transmitters (I'll get to that in a second), on different channels with different shift levels. It's fairly small and light (42x27x9.8mm, 14g), and has 8 connectors for the channel cables (thus you have to use a Y cable for the battery to use all eight channels).

The really interesting thing about this receiver is when you program it, it learns to recognize the transmitter, not just the channel. I'm not sure what signal processing magic they use, but when I tried this with my two 9ZAP radios (original and WCII), both with synth modules set to channel 41, programming just one to start with, the receiver responded perfectly to the programmed one, but completely ignored the other one! Reprogramming it the other way around yielded the same results. Trying my Eclipse 7 with Spectra module set to channel 41, caused occcasional glitches, but no control. Programming it and deleting the other two resulted in perfect control for the Eclipse, and no response to the 9Zs! This was the extent of my fooling around to date, as I ran out of time last night.

The intention at this point is to put it into my trainer, and do some flight testing, followed by a stint in my beater gas powered Pitts. I will update after that. In the mean time, anyone else have any experience with these? At ~$100 vs. ~$275 for a Futaba 309DPS it seems like a good deal.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:58 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: S&T SRX-M8 Receiver

Could it reject one transmitter and respond to the other while both were on?
Old 03-18-2004, 05:12 PM
RickVB

Haven't tried that yet, definitely on my list of experiments for tonight... can't imagine that would work on the same frequency, though. But what will happen when I program it for two different frequencies at the same time, and both radios are turned on?
Old 03-18-2004, 07:47 PM
tlrascal
My Feedback: (56)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a distributor for Sky & Technology equipment including the SRX-M8 receiver. This receiver has technology in it that no other manufacturer has and combines a host of different technologies in a single unit that makes it the most advanced receiver on the market today. Look for me at Toledo for a full demonstration.
You can program two transmitters at a time if you wish and use them as a cordless buddy box system or as a standby backup for the Primary transmitter. Those transmitters should be on different frequencies. You can switch from one to the other with the flick of the trainer switch.
The thing you were experiencing when you tried two transmitters on the same channel number is a unique feature that recognizes your master transmitter and then even if someone turns on accidentally it still only responds to the Master transmitter it was programmed to.
Some other unique features include a shorter antennae on the receiver which is allowed due to the unbelievable one microvolt sensitivity. Nobody and I mean nobody comes near this sensitivity. The list of high technologies goes on and on and you can see and purchase it at my website www.4mht.com and I offer it at only $75. I'll see you at the larger trade shows but please check out the new Sky & Technology receiver at www.4mht.com.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:30 PM
RickVB

Ack! I spent at least an hour searching RCU, and then the web in general trying to find colaborating details about this receiver before I bid on it, and found absolutely nothing. How come I didn't find your web site then??? (Frikin Yahoo, anyhow. [sm=punching.gif]) Well, don't get ripped like me, if you want to try 'em, go to Rascal's website...
Old 03-19-2004, 09:46 AM
mr_matt

ORIGINAL: RickVB

Haven't tried that yet, definitely on my list of experiments for tonight... can't imagine that would work on the same frequency, though. But what will happen when I program it for two different frequencies at the same time, and both radios are turned on?

Well did it work I mean did it respond to the correct transmitter when another was on the same channel?

THanks
Old 03-19-2004, 10:16 AM
RickVB

I saw some strange behavior when I tried it, but I can't be sure that it wasn't something goofy in the radio programming (after all, I'm still learning the 9Z). I'm going to try it with simple non-computer radios next, but I won't have time until Sunday night.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:53 PM
mr_matt

ORIGINAL: RickVB

I saw some strange behavior when I tried it, but I can't be sure that it wasn't something goofy in the radio programming (after all, I'm still learning the 9Z). I'm going to try it with simple non-computer radios next, but I won't have time until Sunday night.

Any luck testing with 2 transmitters on the same channel simultaneously?

Thanks much
Old 03-22-2004, 11:24 PM
RickVB

Sorry, been busy with kids stuff the last few days. Got another playoff game to get through tomorrow, maybe after I can get some time to get back downstairs.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Tlrascal, do you or are you planning to produce one of these that will work with a Multiplex Profi or Royal Evo in 12 channel MPX mode? If so, I'll take one. Once you've lived with 12 channels, you can't go back. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:51 PM
espadet

Don't buy to www.4mht.com
ebay seller: tlrascal

plain and simple, DON'T ORDER FROM THESE GUY! BE CAREFUL! This place is obviously run by somebody that doesn't know how to run a business and is trying to make money by cutting corners and being unfair and unreasonable with customers.

Check this web page

http://www.geocities.com/mmigueloc/
Old 04-16-2004, 08:10 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I am being a little premature, but I have not heard anything from Sky-Technologies, yet, concerning the problems I have identified below. I even went to their website and sent them a detailed email.

At the bottom of this thread, I have the response from tlrascal, but I have not heard any more from either him or Sky-Technologies, however, it has only been a few days.

Here is the email I sent to Sky-Technologies:

To: [email protected]
Subject: Gold Receiver SRX-M8

I purchased your product, at the Toledo, Ohio Trade Show, this month.

During testing, I programmed the receiver for Transmitter 1 on Ch18 PPM and Transmitter 2 on Ch39 PPM.
Transmitter 1 was a Futaba 8AUPS, set to PPM - all parameters set to default
Transmitter 2 was a Futaba 9CAP, set to PPM - all parameters set to default

I had a Hitech 5625 high torque digital servo connected to channel 1 and a Futaba 3003 low torque analog servo connected to channel 2.

I programmed both transmitters to turn on the Trainer feature and verified that as I pushed the Trainer switch, the Off/On appeared in the LCD display of each transmitter.

I turned on Transmitter 1 and was able to operate both servos without incident. I turned on Transmitter 2 and turned off Transmitter 1 and was able to operate both servos without incident.

In another test, I turned on Transmitter 1, while Transmitter 2 was off, and I could operate both servos. While leaving Transmitter 1 on, I turned on Transmitter 2 and tried to switch control to Transmitter 2 by operation the Trainer switch on Transmitter 1. I could not switch to Transmitter 2 unless I turned off Transmitter 1, first.

In another test, I turned on Transmitter 1 (on Ch18), verified that I could operate the servos, and then I turned on a JR transmitter that also was on Ch18. The receiver was not programmed for the JR transmitter. The servos began to jitter and I could not control them with Transmitter 1 even when the JR transmitter was moved 25ft away from the receiver.

Can you please explain how I can switch between Transmitter 1 and Transmitter 2 without turning off either transmitter. If I want to use this feature as a Wireless Buddy Box, it is not useful to me unless the person conducting the training (the one holding Transmitter 1) can switch back and forth from Transmitter 1 to Transmitter 2 and back to Transmitter 1 again. This is because the person being trained is not skilled enough or fast enough to give control back to Transmitter 1. Also, what is the advantage of memorzing the Signature of a given transmitter if you still get interference from another transmitter on the same frequency. I don't see where it is giving me any more security from interference caused by someone else accidentally turning on a transmitter, on my frequency, while I am flying.

Thanks!!

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:10:10 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Gold SRX-M8 Receiver
X-Mailer: 9.0 for Windows sub 5106
X-Virus-Scanned: Symantec AntiVirus Scan Engine
Original-recipient: rfc822;[email protected]

I am going to forward your email
Old 04-21-2004, 09:36 AM
yclui
My Feedback: (1)

Pls check this out: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222770
Old 04-21-2004, 01:14 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased this receiver, from Modeltronics, at the Toledo Show, earlier this month. I did some testing and contacted both the manufacturer, Sky & Technology, and Modeltronics, who sold me the receiver. I have had no previous experience with either party, but I received responses from both detailing the limitations of the receiver and giving me the option of returning the product, for a refund, if it did not meet my expectations.

Here is some of the correspondence:

To a friend of mine:

Didn't you see this email I sent to you this am. It was a copy of a note I sent to the guy who sold me the fancy receiver I bought at Toledo. This receiver has a Synthesizer and will work with any 72Mhz channel and any manufacturer's brand transmitter. It also is supposed to memorize the Signature of two individual transmitters, allowing you to switch from one transmitter to the other by using the Trainer switch. Like the FMA 5 channel and new 8 channel receivers, which allow you to memorize the Signature of one transmitter, it is supposed to give you an extra level of security against interference by another transmitter on the same frequency.

In tests that I have run, however, I was only able to switch from one transmitter to another by turning one on and the other off. As far as security against interference, it did not seem to reject interference from another transmitter on the same frequency - at least not at a distance of 25ft. I have not tested the FMA receiver to see how well it does in this regard.

Subject: Fwd: Re: Gold SRX-M8 Receiver

Maybe I am being a little premature, but I have not heard anything from Sky-Technologies, yet. I even went to their website and sent them a detailed email.

Last night, I attended our Bi-Monthly R/C club meeting. At Show and Tell, I demonstrated the Gold SRX-M8 receiver. One of our club members used to design and sell servos. He questioned my reasoning for buying this product as the only features that seemed to be useful was the Synthesizer. The only way I could switch transmitters was to turn one off and the other on. When I set up Transmitter 1, near the receiver, on Ch18, and turned on a JR 8103 transmitter, on Ch18, 20ft away, the servos jitter and Transmitter 1 looses control of the receiver. So much for the Interference protection associated with memorizing Transmitter 1's signature. If the Cordless Buddy Box scenario relies upon the Trainee having to turn his/her transmitter Off and On to give control back to the Trainer, then that scenario does not seem very practical. We could not think of any other scenarios where switching between transmitters had any practical use.

Here is the email I sent to Sky-Technologies:

Subject: Gold Receiver SRX-M8

I purchased your product, at the Toledo, Ohio Trade Show, this month.

During testing, I programmed the receiver for Transmitter 1 on Ch18 PPM and Transmitter 2 on Ch39 PPM.
Transmitter 1 was a Futaba 8AUPS, set to PPM
Transmitter 2 was a Futaba 9CAP, set to PPM

I had a Hitech 5625 high torque digital servo connected to channel 1 and a Futaba 3003 low torque analog servo connected to channel 2.

I programmed both transmitters to turn on the Trainer feature and verified that as I pushed the Trainer switch, the Off/On appeared in the LCD display of each transmitter.

I turned on Transmitter 1 and was able to operate both servos without incident. I turned on Transmitter 2 and turned off Transmitter 1 and was able to operate both servos without incident.

In another test, I turned on Transmitter 1, while Transmitter 2 was off, and I could operate both servos. While leaving Transmitter 1 on, I turned on Transmitter 2 and tried to switch control to Transmitter 2 by operation the Trainer switch on Transmitter 1. I could not switch to Transmitter 2 unless I turned off Transmitter 1, first.

In another test, I turned on Transmitter 1 (on Ch18), verified that I could operate the servos, and then I turned on a JR transmitter that also was on Ch18. The receiver was not programmed for the JR transmitter. The servos began to jitter and I could not control them with Transmitter 1 even when the JR transmitter was moved 25ft away from the receiver.

Can you please explain how I can switch between Transmitter 1 and Transmitter 2 without turning off either transmitter. If I want to use this feature as a Wireless Buddy Box, it is not useful to me unless the person conducting the training (the one holding Transmitter 1) can switch back and forth from Transmitter 1 to Transmitter 2 and back to Transmitter 1 again. This is because the person being trained is not skilled enough or fast enough to give control back to Transmitter 1.

Thanks!!

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:10:10 -0400 (EDT)
X-Mailer: 9.0 for Windows sub 5106
X-Virus-Scanned: Symantec AntiVirus Scan Engine
Original-recipient: rfc822;[email protected]

I am going to forward your email.

Note from Modeltronics, the company I bought the receiver from:

I think Joey is in Korea. I only sell the product so I am not an engineer but here is my understanding. You are testing the interference under a lab condition that does not emulate actual flying situations and following AMA guidelines. The offending transmitter needs to be at least four wavelengths away and that is about 80 feet. Under MAM safety guidelines you will never be flying as close as that so if you will move it 80 feet you should see a difference. The cordless buddy box is another issue. I'm not sure if Futaba interrupts the signal when there is no buddy cord connection. HiTec does. Even under this mode it takes an action on the student to transfer control back.

If the receiver is not going to work for what you intended it to please return it to me and I will refund your money. We want you to be happy with the product and please be assured it does perform as specified under the conditions I have described.
My address is
Modeltronics Hobby Traders
403 Vine Street
Van Buren, AR 72956

Note from the manufacturer:

Subject: Sky & Technology

Dear Sir,

Thank you for purchasing our SRX-M8 receiver. I apologize for the late reply but I have been out of the country on business and just getting back to the flow of things.

As for the trainer switch working, it will work on some manufacturers transmitter with the trainer switch, as you have to understand each manufacturer has different configurations. It will definately work, when the power ON and OFF is used but as for the trainer switch, it varies by manufacturer. I hope this has answered your question.

Our receiver will work fine with analog servos and medium speed servos, but as for digital servos, due to the algorithm programming it is not recommended. Our next generation of receivers will work with high speed digital servos. The SRX-M8 receiver is targeted toward the beginning and mid-end users. As we are a fairly new company, our product range will cover a wider target market in the near future. We ask for your patience during this time.

If you should have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me or contact me at my office.

Best regards,

Joey Yi
Sky & Technology
500 E. Carson Plaza Drive
Suite 222
Carson, CA 90746
Tel: 310-527-0002
Fax: 310-527-0004
Old 04-24-2004, 01:24 PM
espadet

reply to yclui

Pls check this: http://www.geocities.com/mmigueloc/
Old 04-28-2004, 05:10 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First thing... Don't get the name Modeltronics that this guy is using mixed up with me. I have already received PMs about it. Sounds like people are not real happy with the guy selling the receiver.

Second thing... the guy using the name Modeltronics should quit using it... I registered that name to my business many years ago.

Pete
Old 04-28-2004, 06:25 PM
espadet

in reply o modeltronics

OK Sir.

I refer to Tlrascal (ebay member seller) or www.4mht.com. Web page from him says "Modeltronics Hobby Traders Online Shopping"
Old 05-02-2004, 08:06 PM
tlrascal
My Feedback: (56)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using the name Modeltronics since 1970 continuously in my model business.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:37 PM
XJet
Banned

Do we have anyone who's actually using one of these receivers regularly without the problems (glitching, lock-outs, etc) that others seem to have experienced?

I can understand one or two lemons sneaking through QC, but where are the positive "everything's fine" testimonials I was hoping to see?