Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Wanted plans for Quaker

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Wanted plans for Quaker

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 11:17 PM
old git

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted plans for Quaker

I saw a quaker kit on eBay and made a bid before I realised that there was no plan with the kit.
I have attempted to upload the box art. The model is described as a Seven Foot Span model.
I am under the impression that the "genuine" Quaker had a 76 inch wingspan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89017.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	127424  
Old 04-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Dsegal

Default RE: Wanted plans for Quaker

From the label I am suspecting that this kit may be produced by my hobby shop, Penn Valley Hobby Center in the US. There are two sizes, about 50" span and the 7ft. version. The web site is http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com/oldsite/index.htm but does not appear to show the RC kits listing. If you are unable to get information from them about the plan contact me and I will talk to them on my next visit.

I am adding a scanned image of my Quaker 54 with an OS.10 engine. It was the loveliest plane.

Name:	Sq47765.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	127488  
Old 04-29-2004, 08:42 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this is another tangent, but I sell plans for a modernized version of the Quaker, larger(105" span) and plug in wings are the obvious changes but there are many more in the way its built, etc. Here is the finished product.

Name:	Ig13415.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	127497  
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2004, 10:17 AM
old git

Default RE: Wanted plans for Quaker (reply to Dave Segal)

I tried the website you reccomended? (always spell that wrongly) Their site is under construction and I could not use the online order form or find the model. I was however re-directed to their old site. A list there contained two Quakers, one of them 84" span. I guess that is as close as I can get to seven feet. Thanks very much for the pointer. I am back to modelling after some thirty years, retirement (it's great) I have a number of kits I bought ready for retirement, American balsa is always so much better than the stuff we are allowed here. When I started modelling in 1946 all we had was obechie, spruce and dried up balsa cement tubes. We had to use nail varnish remover to melt toothbrush handles for adhesive. That is why I love American kits, great wood.
I have eMailed Penn Valley Hobby Centre:-http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com/about.htm about supply of the plans.
Thanks for your pointer to a potential source.

To evan-RCU, Your Quaker is really beautiful, can't wait to get mine in the air. I'll save this string against future possibilities.
PS I cannot use the spell check, Microsoft and Apple cannot spell for toffee.

Regards, John Livingston
Old 04-29-2004, 06:20 PM
dicknadine

will look for my old plans. have built a couple versions of it and fly 1 regularlywith OS 60, 4stroke, exposed rockere arms. also have built a 14 foot version, waiting for my partner to decide what power, gas or electric, he has both. dick

Name:	Zx72520.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	127634  
Old 04-29-2004, 08:55 PM
old git

ORIGINAL: dicknadine

will look for my old plans. have built a couple versions of it and fly 1 regularlywith OS 60, 4stroke, exposed rockere arms. also have built a 14 foot version, waiting for my partner to decide what power, gas or electric, he has both. dick
Perhaps you could describe what I see in your picture. I think I see a Quaker wing with opaque and translucent covering and a fus' with a long cabin that looks to go with it.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:00 PM
dicknadine

your are correct. will take it down tomorrow and assemble it and take some fotos for you. no idea how many flights on it, know its plenty over the years, and still ready to go up anytime. dick
Old 04-29-2004, 09:46 PM
old git

It was about the end of Feb' that I decided to get back to my original love, aeromodelling. Apart from an occasional show and magazine I have lost touch with modelling. I have always felt that the golden age of flying was the late twenties and the thirties. When I first tried radio, the Tx sat on the ground with a sectional tubular aerial. Control was by a microswitch on a cable. Alas, like the engines I had then, nothing worked. The models were beautiful and when they broke I took the bits home. That was how a normal days flying ended, if it lasted a day.
In the early seventies I bought Futaba proportional gear. That worked very well but took some of the pleasure out of flying. I expected it to function properly and to bring an unbroken 'plane home. As a result of this expectation I worried about abrupt arrival at terra firma. I suppose the virtue of "modern" models is that they are less sensitive to weather, ie wind. I could never fly very well but hope to spend more time in the future both flying and perhaps using a simulator.

I have covered models with Microfilm, Jap tissue, Rag tissue, Silk and Nylon. I have never used Monocote or any of the modern covering materials. I plan to get a book on modelling techniques to see what I have missed.

I have a Falcon 56 kit I bought anticipating retirement about thirty years ago. I recentlly bought a Senior Falcon and a Butterfly (99" span for .15 motor) I hope to learn to fly on these, I say learn, I had in the air years ago a Junior 60 and a Senior Falcon. The Falcon lost its tail unit during a move in the house and the Junior 60 was sold with the gear when I saw that 27 megs was on the way out and I had a new house to re-furbish.

Now you know about my modelling.

John L
Old 04-29-2004, 10:32 PM
dicknadine

contact graham @ [email protected]. he is outside of London and may be able to help you. tell him dick suggested it. will still send more photos tomorrow. go to Vintage for some fotos of my collection hanging from living room ceiling. dickl
Old 04-30-2004, 09:42 PM
dicknadine

sorry, we have been under Tornado alerts last 2 days and the heavy rain slowed things down abit. tomorrow may be better. located in Bay St. Louis, on the Bay of St' Louis, Miss., 60 miles east of New Orleans,La. phot of my front yard atteched. will get the Qaker down and out tomorrow. dick
Old 04-30-2004, 11:19 PM
old git

Dick,
I thought we Brit's were the only ones who complained about the weather. We had a bit of wind in 1987, roofs were lost and trees fell, we are still talking about it.
Best of luck with your tornados.
John L
Old 05-01-2004, 08:52 AM
dicknadine

morning, sun out brightly, no breeze, good flying weather. attached fotos of my Qaker, 83"ws, OS 60, exposed rocker arms,4 cycle. built in 1993, unknown 100? flights. attached foto of March 1937 ad in Popular Aviation. will continue to look for the plans. its ready to go flying anytime. dick

Name:	Ts54738.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	128070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55441.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	128071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79846.jpg
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	128072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21789.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	128073  
Old 05-01-2004, 10:53 AM
old git

Dick, it is beautiful. I can almost feel it flying when I look at your pic's. Thanks very much for the pic's. I am feeling really envious. Your motor looks like an OS FS 60 4stroke. (by the way what diameter and pitch prop are you using) I have one I bought some years ago in preparation for retirement but also so I could gloat over it like a miser. I did intend to fly sparkers, I have a McCoy 49, three Attwood 60s an O&R 60 but I now think after I have learnt to fly better than I used to fly maybe I should use a motor with a throttle. That is my other concern, I have a nice little OS 15 SPARKER which I intend to fit with an RC carb. I also think that one of the Attwoods (a little the worse for wear) could be readily fitted with a radio carb on the long upstand intake.

Why am I wanting to do these things? I like sparkers but I hate glow fuel. It is expensive (small prob) plays havoc with cellulose finishes (big problem) I hate the idea of fuel proofing and laminating finishes after the inevitable prang and repair.

Glad the weather left you alone, hope you get in some good air time.

John L.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:46 PM
dicknadine

you asked about my plans. they are around somewhere, used them recently to upscale for my 14 foot version. waiting for my electric motor geru to decide which motor package, them we finish it and FLY. dick
Old 05-05-2004, 11:07 AM
dicknadine

have you contacted Graham yet? dick
Old 05-05-2004, 02:41 PM
old git

Dick,
He said he couldn't help, thanks anyway.

By the by I have been learning how to use my computer and manipulate pictures. I borrowed a Kodak Easy Share No? My wife was so impressed she said "let's go halves on one". I took a few pic's of a tablefull of motors and posted them under "What engine is that?"

I don't know if you saw the motor I bought on eBay? It is described as a prototype 1.2cu in, 22cc Flat twin 4stroke SIDE VALVE. It should have wonderful throttling characteristics and sound. Unfortunately it is GLOW ignited. I bought it from a retiring engineer who is giving up. He said "My eyesight is failing and if you can't see it you can't control it." A sad situation but I am GAGGING to play with it. I also posted the "net" pic's under "What engine is that?"

I am considering my CG Falcon 56 kit and its reputation for wing failure with balsa spars, it does have the later version ply Dihedral brace. The CG Senior Falcon has Basswood strips sandwiching above and below the balsa mainspar. I thought why not put a bit of pine through the planer thicknesser and replace the 56s balsa spar with solid pine, I'd use spruce caps if I could get any. I am going to use the OS MAX 15 IGNITION engine to power it.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:32 PM
dicknadine

congratulations on the new motor, havn't seen the photo's yet. am still looking for the big Qaker plans. will let you know when and if. sun shinning britely and no breeze, but Nap time for the old man, maybe later on. will be posting more of my true scratch qiants later on. dick heck- here's one now. 1932, American Pilot Ground Trainer, 87"x18.5", 10# fly weight, Os.91 4 cycle.not flown yet. dick

Name:	Ol31683.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	129458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34183.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	129459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13719.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	129460  
Old 05-05-2004, 03:34 PM
dicknadine

correction. the motor is a Magum ,91 4 cycle. dick
Old 05-05-2004, 07:39 PM
old git

What a monster. It is obvious we have a similar taste in aircraft. The Golden years - 20s and 30s. That is not to say I don't appreciate some of the second world war stuff but my preference is for aircraft that fly WITH the air rather than those that beat the air into submission. That rudder though, it's like a barn door and the other control surfaces have quite some area. Maybe it's my lack of flying skills. I used radio to perturb the flight pattern as little as possible and they flew better when I released the sticks. One virtue of free flight skills is that the model is at least trimmed. When an elevator pushrod broke on my KK Super 60 (at the start of the link thread) it landed throttled down ON ITS WHEELS. Good thing I left the sticks alone.

Name:	Rp43770.jpg
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	129529  
Old 05-05-2004, 07:59 PM
dicknadine

still looking for my plans. weather so nice, its almost swinning time. sure would enjoy a sea plane, one of these days i will get busy and build my Spratt Control Wing flying Boat( Bill North design). to lazy to go to flying field today. dick
Old 05-05-2004, 08:04 PM
dicknadine

heres foto of my front yard, 2 miles wide and 6 long, problem is its salt water, Bay of St Louis, off of Gulf of Mexico. dick

Name:	Ig11037.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	129537  
Old 05-06-2004, 02:13 PM
jessiej

[I have a Falcon 56 kit I bought anticipating retirement about thirty years ago. I recentlly bought a Senior Falcon and a Butterfly (99" span for .15 motor) I hope to learn to fly on these]

I taught myself to fly with a Butterfly I built some thirty years ago. I still fly it from time to time. It is quite rugged, as evidenced by it's having survived this long, albeit with a bit of patchwork, and it is a fine flier, especially for those like me whose best flying is done by minimizing disturbance with the craft's natural flying characteristics.

jess
Old 05-06-2004, 02:44 PM
old git

I was amazed to read that you had CG Sr Falcon, CG Falcon 56 and Butterfly. I guess that is why we are using this Forum. I have all those plus a coiple of KK Ladybirds, a Quaker 7Ft span, a DeBolt Akrobat and a Pilot Curtess Hawk FC11, all begging to be built. I am going to Sandown Park this weekend. It is a Horserace Course but the buildings and field will be in use for a proper purpose, Model flying etc.

John L
Old 05-06-2004, 04:11 PM
dicknadine

see that you have found plans for the Quaker. what size? still ooking for my set, still buried in the barns someplace. also I have tried to tap into the sites that you forewarded to me, along with FHHuber, as I have said in the past-- MY DUMB THUMBS havn't had much sucess on the Arc en Ciel, Rainbow, by Couzet. still trying tho, as my helper is on extended vacation. have a good one and keep them flying. dick NOT a computor person!!!
Old 05-06-2004, 04:48 PM
old git

I have the kit but not yet the plan. Never mind they will either surface or I shall buy wrong size plan and re-draw it. Shame, what used to be a room for models with a double elephant rise and fall board is now an office for the wife and her computer. She still teaches Information Technology and her Family History Archive. I guess I shall have to use a board on my workbench, no parallel motion.

I am under the impression that M Couzet built another aircraft that looked similar called the Biarritz 10. I may have misunderstood the French.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.