Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Wanted plans for Quaker

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Wanted plans for Quaker

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 09:56 AM
old git

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wanted plans for Quaker

It is quite a monster. I immediately start thinking is it balsa? What a lot of whatever. Can you get Piano wire thick enough for scale u/cart? Doesn't the prop' look tiny? I would make a big box for it and fit wheels and hitch=Trailer. Reminds me of the "Fillons Champion" I couldn't finish. It had the wings faired into the fus' and eliptical dihedral. A very elegant bird but the root rig took nearly 3/4 of a 3ft sheet I just couldn't afford it on pocket money. Lost that plan as well.

Electric power, geared suppose and running on a car battery perhaps? Col Bowden used to build wirh a Power Pod, the motor was retained with bands as far as I remember. He slung the battery under the CG. The old sparkers preferred a healthy spark from an accumulator. More dredging, a virtue of the underslung battery pack was reduction of damage in a heavy landing. On that note, look out for the pic's of my Father's heavy landing. Cheers for now .John.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:05 AM
dicknadine

morning. couple shots of the 14' Qaker fuselage-9' with both motors, electric and gas. they are interchangable. now to get busy and finish it. no known weight yet. heavy rain all around us. dick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63787.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	131214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11376.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	131215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75041.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	131216  
Old 05-12-2004, 11:14 AM
dicknadine

email me please. [email protected]
Old 05-14-2004, 04:38 PM
old git

ORIGINAL: Dsegal

From the label I am suspecting that this kit may be produced by my hobby shop, Penn Valley Hobby Center in the US. There are two sizes, about 50" span and the 7ft. version. The web site is http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com/oldsite/index.htm but does not appear to show the RC kits listing. If you are unable to get information from them about the plan contact me and I will talk to them on my next visit.

I am adding a scanned image of my Quaker 54 with an OS.10 engine. It was the loveliest plane.
With help from a Forum member I found and bought plans for the 84" Quaker. The kit arrived today, waiting for plans. Thanks to you and everyone who has helped. Special thanks to dicknadine for the info' about his Quaker.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:31 PM
dicknadine

It all fits in the Plymouth Mini Van, disassembled of course. will puul the wing halfs & tail assy out of the storage van & take some photos -- when ever it quits raining. dick
Old 05-17-2004, 04:00 AM
old git

ORIGINAL: jessiej

[I have a Falcon 56 kit I bought anticipating retirement about thirty years ago. I recentlly bought a Senior Falcon and a Butterfly (99" span for .15 motor) I hope to learn to fly on these]

I taught myself to fly with a Butterfly I built some thirty years ago. I still fly it from time to time. It is quite rugged, as evidenced by it's having survived this long, albeit with a bit of patchwork, and it is a fine flier, especially for those like me whose best flying is done by minimizing disturbance with the craft's natural flying characteristics.

jess
Jess, you probably think me a complete idiot, I misread your post. I had only just managed to follow the technique of using the Quote Original tab.
Now to the Butterfly. I have a variety of engines I might use in this model. I would like to us an OS Max 111 .15 spark conversion.
a) Do you think the extra weight of ignition gear would upset the flying characterics enough to make re-learning my limited flying skills a difficult proposition or would it be OK?
b) If yes to above, could you recommend a prop' size. If no to above, can you recommend a motor, prop' combination.
John L.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:47 AM
dicknadine

here is the rest of the 14 footer. the fellow shown is my partner, the electrician. having trouble with your email address, keeps bouncing. dick

Name:	Mk26919.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	133174  
Old 05-20-2004, 03:14 PM
old git

ORIGINAL: Joe Nagy

Hi old git;

Greetings from sunny Florida.

I was just browsing through eBay and spotted a set of Quaker plans for sale, and remembered your request herein, so check this item out: eBay # 3190956530; sale is tomorrow aft I believe, so rest your bidding finger and 'Go 4 It!!'

Best of luck, and best regards to you from 'Thong Beach', Manasota Key, Englewood, FL,

Joe Nagy.
Joe,
Thanks, I did find the plans on eBay and bought them. I already had the kit BUT this model is huge. I hadn't thought that so much model could come out of so little balsa. It is just like a big rubber job, except the last few turns will not destroy the fuselage. Dick has built a 14ft span model and a picture in a recent model mag' showed a 16ft span job in Florida.
I am still making room to build in the pocket handkerchief sized house many of us over here live in.

John.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:50 PM
dicknadine

tell me more about your visit to the trade show. things are slow here, out of poop. dick
Old 05-21-2004, 09:13 PM
old git

ORIGINAL: dicknadine

tell me more about your visit to the trade show. things are slow here, out of poop. dick
Dick,
Pretty slow here too, 3AM and not sleeping. You may recall I went to the show to find it was a "Christian Resource" meeting. Staff told me a number of modellers had already turned up.

We had read a Website advertising the meeting. I intend to leave the house at 8.30AM TODAY to go to the Sandown show. I know the correct day/date now. I shall take my new digital camera and post some pictures later.

John L.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:55 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was the one in Florida with the 16 footer, I meet the person from G.B., very nice person. Is there a link to the magazine or a way to get a copy of it?

dicknadine- good to see the pictures, I was wondering if the 14 footer exsisted

ORIGINAL: old git

ORIGINAL: Joe Nagy

Hi old git;

Greetings from sunny Florida.

I was just browsing through eBay and spotted a set of Quaker plans for sale, and remembered your request herein, so check this item out: eBay # 3190956530; sale is tomorrow aft I believe, so rest your bidding finger and 'Go 4 It!!'

Best of luck, and best regards to you from 'Thong Beach', Manasota Key, Englewood, FL,

Joe Nagy.
Joe,
Thanks, I did find the plans on eBay and bought them. I already had the kit BUT this model is huge. I hadn't thought that so much model could come out of so little balsa. It is just like a big rubber job, except the last few turns will not destroy the fuselage. Dick has built a 14ft span model and a picture in a recent model mag' showed a 16ft span job in Florida.
I am still making room to build in the pocket handkerchief sized house many of us over here live in.

John.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:57 AM
dicknadine

the 14' er does exist, in a bones condition. wing, tail complete, fuselage structure complete waiting for electronic pkg's,2, 1 in bow and 1 in tail. strictly 3 channel. will be dual, interchangeable gas and electric powered. the blacksmithing of the landing gear the current holdup. drop an email. dick
Old 05-22-2004, 02:23 PM
old git

To evan-RCU,
Rather pressed at the moment. Will get back to you. The magazine was recent but I have put it down. As a result it has dissapeared in the welter of paperwork correspondence and newspapers. I live in a combined junk yard, scrap heap, archive and building site. I tell visitors to wipe their feet as they LEAVE the house.
By the way have you seen some of the models dicknadine has posted. He is an aerodynamic wild man. I have loved what he had to say and show.

Will make contact later.

John L.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:44 PM
old git

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

I was the one in Florida with the 16 footer, I meet the person from G.B., very nice person. Is there a link to the magazine or a way to get a copy of it?

Joe Nagy.
Evan,
The magazine is Model World, May 2004. I have become rather forgetful these days. I bought two copies of this mag'. Don't think this is a gentle way of offering you a mag' for nothing. I really do have two copies, I also have a spare copy of RCM&E, May 2004. I went to a shop and bought magazines on two occasions, this stupidity is the result. Never mind it is to your benefit. Send me your address and I will post you a copy. The article runs to four and a half pages with an i flight pic of the Quaker and a static wih three people, one standing, one at the fin and one at the engine.
By the way during correspondence with dicknadine I asked for his address and he said if I was down his way, phone and drop in. I was able to reassure him I had and have no intention of visiting USA. I hate flying, air quality (I am Asthmatic) plus they do not allow smoking. Yes I know I am stupid but if/when I die I want to have a name to the cause. We quite like cruising on vessels with about 100 passengers. I usually spend half the trip on deck having a serruptitious puff on a cigarette.
To be quite honest I would rather stay at home than go on holiday.

John L.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:42 PM
evan-RCU

Thank you very much for the offer, I've been in only one other mag, the IMAA mag, I was the contents page picture for last years Joe Nall meet. Thanks again. As far as aeromodeling I too am into new and unusual as well as a very keen fondness for the Quaker. At present I have four, the 16 footer, two 105" ones(one on wheels with many strings of neon for night flying and one on floats), and a 36" electric for indoor flying. I couldn't list all my airplanes but if you do a search you can find a few. Here are a couple of pictures too. Thanks again...

Name:	Lj21996.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	135011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46349.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	135013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48304.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	135014  
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2004, 05:56 PM
evan-RCU

Some more. This P-38 is a glider of my own design for slope flying, the previous one is the KMP one, very modified as the ARF was very poor quality. The small electric red, white, and blue P-51 is a WalMart free flight electric I converted to R/C, you know the Quakers, they are all my own design, the twin delta too is my own design, I also have many others that I've designed as well as a few scale birds, two DR-1's, a few giant scales, a bunch of sea planes, many slope aircraft, and even more control line airplanes. I have usually around 40 airplanes ready to fly at any one time....

Name:	Xv65308.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	135021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37741.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	135022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92598.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	135023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36009.jpg
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	135024  
Old 05-22-2004, 06:15 PM
dicknadine

Congratulations. finally found the 16 ft'r, had heard about it. guess I will have to plan a 20 footer some time in the future. My 1st one was in approx 1937/38, christmas present in a super sized box of trees of balsa sticks, yes 10 yrs old kid. did get the structure done and never covered, moves and Uncle Sam got in the way. anyhow I have 2 std large size and 2 mini, all on glo, flying reguglary. my 14' will be optionarly powered by either gas or electric.. maybe we can get together some time. Mississippi boy. dick
Old 05-22-2004, 07:32 PM
old git

Went to show today, got lost this time. Two weeks ago no trouble. Not concentrating, missed road sign & drove on thirty miles too far. There is still lots of traffic on a Saturday. Show was great but I am still unfamiliar with the use of the camera. 700+ picture capacity and ran out at 35, mostly home. I did manage to take a pic' of a nice little Fokker Triplane.

Name:	Pn36898.jpg
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	135054  
Old 05-22-2004, 08:52 PM
dicknadine

glad you had a good time after you finally got there. did you buy any new kits. weather here going to be good tomorrow, however no enthusisism, at least not tonite. worked on the landing gear for the monster- have to be a blacksmith. almost bedtime for this young old man. have agood day tomorrow. dick
Old 05-23-2004, 12:37 AM
old git

Back OnLine but for how long? been far more off than on. Didn't buy any kits, just a vectored thrust RC Helium baloon. A baloon rather like Skyship 600.

Some years ago wife and I went to Cardington Airship sheds to see Skyship when it made an unsuccessful flight. A deflated envelope is little to look at.

Years after that we went to the Kent Agricultural Show and saw Skyship again. Late in the evening blagged our way into the gondola. It had a large acrylic dome in its roof and on putting your head into the dome you could see the balonets and the inside of the skin of the envelope. The vectored thrust was provided by a couple of Porsche engines.
More recently we went on a trip (5 star hotel and visits) which included a Gold Pass to Duxford 2001 Airshow. As part of this we also made a pilgrimage to Cardington and Old Warden. Shame about the use of the Cardington sheds these days.

One shed I believe had an aviation use but we couldn't get in. The other used by Building Research (industry?forget) for research into things such as a building's behaviour during fires etc. We saw the sensors attached to the structure for when cells of a steel, eleven story, building were damaged deliberately and that the remaing structure was still strong enough not to fall. This was the week before 9.11. We wished we could hear from the experts we talked to A WEEK BEFORE the fall of the Twin Towers AFTER that fearful event.

John L.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:47 AM
dicknadine

and when do you have time for model airplanes? your trip descriptions are enlightening, please keep it up. today is finally a good day for flying--NO wind. no additional progress on the monster. dick
Old 05-23-2004, 08:56 AM
old git

ORIGINAL: dicknadine

and when do you have time for model airplanes? your trip descriptions are enlightening, please keep it up. today is finally a good day for flying--NO wind. no additional progress on the monster. dick
Dick,
That is the whole point, I hardly ever do get the time. Did you get the envelope I posted to you. The story of Rooftop Johnson and the DC3.

John.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:58 AM
dicknadine

No envelope to date, maybe tomorrow. dick
Old 05-24-2004, 09:54 AM
old git

Evan,
Magazine with your model in it packed uo and ready to mail. Telling you now because Broadband connection is working at the moment. About to go and put it in Post Office.
John..
Old 05-24-2004, 08:09 PM
evan-RCU

Thank you VERY much.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.