Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

USB flash drive for recording video?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

USB flash drive for recording video?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 09:45 PM
Mr Boulevard-delete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB flash drive for recording video?

Has anyone considered using a Flash Drive to record video from their a/c?

I thought this might work since the Drive would provide the memory and they are cheaper then sending your $500 odd dollar camcorder into the air. I just thought that this might work. I found a Flash drive from 'best buy' for $29.99 @ 128Mbytes, that's not much video and it depends on what format it is converted into. Raw data from the Camera would be the best (IMHO) and I have seen larger 256MBytes units.

Can Usb handle such a data transfere? Or is it too slow?
O.K. I just found this device on http://www.usb.org/home
Details: Hi-Speed USB DVD/TV Recorder with Hardware MPEG2 Encoder MPEG2 Encoder .
So it is possible.

I know it's strange, although it's probably the cheapest video if you can get the USB to work. 2 good things about USB.
1. You can daisy-chain more units on the same controller (there is a limit but it's pretty high for what we would be doing)
2. USB has a built-in power cable for each of it's connectioins so you won't have run a separte line for power. I believe they operate on 5v.

The most difficult part would be the designing/choosing the parts for the camera and placing the data into the drive.

What do you think?
Old 12-03-2003, 08:58 AM
Rj-TailSpin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: USB flash drive for recording video?

I like the idea. Wouldn't you need a CPU along with the camera? And, which camera could you use? Many questions, there are-grin Okay, using a PCMCIA PC104 802.11 card and a WINSystems PC Card would allow you to connect to a USP equipped camera. The 802.11 WLAN link could be used to connect to the onboard WINSystems PC to enable and disable record, and act like a webcam viewer. The whole thing will set you back about $ 4, 000.... but it would work. I don't think the weight would be an issue. I've hung a lot of weight on an electric glider without any problems. Power consumption would be a problem. Those boards operate on 5V, but consume AMPs not mA for dinner. The benefit of this configuration is... WLAN is free and unlicensed. I already have about a grand in my plane. I don't know if I would be able to fly with $6K (Li-p batteries included) my finger's shaking not stirred! And, the cost for "depends" might be too high-hehehe. If I had $6k to spend... I would probably purchase a jet and equip it with video.

If you got the money... I can build it!

Rj