Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

My TV only has coax antenna jack

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Shagnifico

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My TV only has coax antenna jack

Will my TV work with a wireless cam reciever? My old TV doesn't have an audio or video rca jack. All it has is one coax cable antenna jack. I'm using an rca/coax adapter to hook it to my tv.

I have two wireless cams now that I can't get to work and I'm thinking that this is the problem.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:00 PM
echobot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My TV only has coax antenna jack

ORIGINAL: Shagnifico

Will my TV work with a wireless cam reciever? My old TV doesn't have an audio or video rca jack. All it has is one coax cable antenna jack. I'm using an rca/coax adapter to hook it to my tv.

I have two wireless cams now that I can't get to work and I'm thinking that this is the problem.
No your TV won't work. You need a TV with audio/video (AV) input jacks. If you have a camcorder with AV jacks you could us that. I use a 12 volt TV/VCR to record my videos with. You could also look in to a PVR (personal video recorder) for your recordings.

Good Luck,

Old 01-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Shagnifico

My camcorder has one AV jack, and one DV jack. Won't work either?
Old 01-07-2006, 06:16 PM
echobot

The camcorder AV jack should work.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Sky High

Sure you can. Never say never, this is 2006! You can always use your TV as a monitor but you may need some adaption. You could also use a VCR as an adapter from your wireless receiver through the VCR and out to the TV via coax. Just look under connectors or search that categoryat the link below. This is called an F (coaxial) to PF (RCA).

www.markertek.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35749.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	382955  
Old 01-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Sky High

My camcorder has one AV jack, and one DV jack. Won't work either?
Here is something you can use if you're only input option is proprietary or Firewire.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3667109
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64502.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	382956  
Old 01-07-2006, 07:56 PM
kd7ost

Everyone is getting closer.

You have a composite NTSC signal out of the receiver. That's a standard used in North America. But your TV needs RF in from a high frequency source. No amount of cables are going to make it work unless you convert the composite signal into the RF. This is common so there are many options available. Here is one and I'm sure you have a Radio Shack in town.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Dan

Old 01-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Sky High

Yep. That's why I said he could use a VCR as a converter. But, I would much rather use a smaller device like what you provided.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:17 PM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

It would be less headache to just get a small cheap tv set with
AV inputs.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:42 AM
Shagnifico

ORIGINAL: randall1959

It would be less headache to just get a small cheap tv set with
AV inputs.
That's what I ended up doing, $30 ac/dc tv.

After trying a few adapters that didn't work, rca to coax, rca to 1/8" .. Didn't work, so I bought a small portable lcd tv from radio shack. I made sure that it had AV jacks. Well guess what, the AV jacks on the lcd tv are 1/8" mini plugs. The cable from my wireless rieciver has rca jacks, ya know just like every other normal AV cable. Radio shack didn't have a video rca to 1/8" male adapter, neither did circuit city, neither did best buy. So the lcd tv is shelved, If I can't find adapters for it soon it's going back. Then finally while I was in Best Buy and picked up a small ac/dc tv. Works like a champ, not as GQ as the lcd tv, and really kind of heavy for field deployments. But it's good for using at home in the motor pool.

BTW, ever notice how overpriced everything is in Best Buy? SD cards that cost $29 at circuit city were $60 at best buy. I guess that $30 BW tv was cheap because it was a low demand item.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:15 AM
Sky High

Yep. A new portable monitor was the best choice. I can't believe Radio Shack didn't have that adapter. When they do have it, it ain't cheap. BNC > RCA adapters are around $3.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:16 PM
smokingcrater

ORIGINAL: Sky High

Radio shack didn't have a video rca to 1/8" male adapter, neither did circuit city, neither did best buy.

yup, they all did, they just don't know it! the 1/8 video is nothing but your typical 1/8 to stereo RCA audio cable, probably the most common cable out there. one side is video, one is mono audio. (IIRC, i think white is audio and red is video) yeah technically there are real video cables that have the correct color coding and impedence on the video line, but you will not notice a difference using 6 feet of this instead of the real one.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Sky High

smokingcrater, it looks like you quoted the wrong person. I didn't say that.