Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

why are wing tips UP , Down , or flat ?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

why are wing tips UP , Down , or flat ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:21 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: why are wing tips UP , Down , or flat ?

Your question about 'will the tip plates improve....etc" really is beyond what anyone can honestly know. By themselves they can do stuff people want done, but there are way too many variables. Can they make your plane do better knife edge? Probably. Aerodynamic things don't automatically produce some amount of results however.

But hey, right now you're in a perfect position to do something cool. You don't have tips on the sucker at all. But you do have the perfect configuration for removable plates. With removable ones, you'll be able to fly that puppy with and without. And come tell us what you think they did. I'm sitting here grinning at the pictures you posted. I was thinking about my Tigers just awhile ago and wondering how much taper would be needed to get a snap out of the suckers. You see, tapered wings naturally stall from the tips. That makes snap rolls easier because you got an easier stall from the wing, a stall that'll more often be one side or the other which gets the roll going quicker. and.............

Let me suggest another idea........ consider going a step farther than the removable tip plates, sometime in the future. Think about making another set of wings. Tapered wings.....

Every one of my Tigers would do flawless knife edges... when I held the stick right. They really did good enough it never occurred to me to think about improving them for that. As for 3D..... They would hover in no wind but didn't have a hope of dealing with breezes with the little surfaces.

uh ohhh.... forgot to attach the picture of my 1st two Tigers to the previous post....... old age sucks

chuckle..... and almost forgot to attach a picture of the last Tiger.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67837.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	1836725  
Old 01-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: why are wing tips UP , Down , or flat ?

daRock you build a beautiful plane but there is alot of difference between yours and mine. When I made the changes alot of thought went into them, I did not want to change the well known good characteristics but add to them. Since I first asked the question I have been reading related to my concernes the many threads in this section and found much of what I was looking for plus much more, some of which you have commented on. I will put the end plates on as several said, including you, that they do in fact help in more than one way. Much of what we do to our planes depend alot on our own experiences and I have found logic and commen sence helps some also.

I have an airframe / engine back ground but there wasn't much aerodynamics involved in my training so there is always more in life to learn, I'm also a old guy by some standards and this old dog can be taught new tricks so to speek. Great having so many out there that know more than me because my planes will fly better right off the table. Thank you all Leroy