Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Selecting an airfoil for a Cranked arrow Delta wing

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Selecting an airfoil for a Cranked arrow Delta wing

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 09:44 AM
aeromax18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selecting an airfoil for a Cranked arrow Delta wing

Hello,
I plan on building a 2.5 m turbine jet of my design. it features a Cranked Arrow Delta wing. I had searched on the net for a proper airfoil section and most of what I found were the MH 60 to 64. The articles were from early 2000 . I would like to get help in selecting a of Airfoils that will give me the best of both worlds. High speed and docile landing. Root rib is 150 cm , Tip rib is 45 cm. What are the Reynolds numbers for a wing of this size?
This link is to a close sample of the wing I want to create.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._arrow.svg.png

Hope you can help me guys
Thanks
Old 12-30-2022, 04:53 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by aeromax18
Hello,
I plan on building a 2.5 m turbine jet of my design. it features a Cranked Arrow Delta wing.
Hope you can help me guys
Thanks
Sounds like a lot of fun..!
The MH 60 is 10% thick which is what you want for speed.
The reasoning for using "cranked arrow" layout doesn't apply so much to model deltas that aren't trying to win a payload competition or transition from supersonic flight to low speed flight ...but the blended winglets sure do look nice.
I'd go with any 10% symmetric airfoil you find published in the listings...it will be up to you to make it strong enough without making it too strong [and needlessly heavy].
I think that unless you test the wing to the point of failure you never will know how light it could have been built and still strong enough to do the job.
[Now who is going to do that unless you are being paid by someone else to do it...?]
Figure out your wing area and seek out the info for what an excellent target weight / wing loading ought to be with the engine and other onboard equipment weights as part of your loading plan . From there you could look at various main spar designs of giant scale RC designs for inspiration.
The MH 60 airfoil has concave surfaces that I doubt a model needs...I think flattening out that portion would simplify the build.
Only a side by side comparison with otherwise identical models would settle that.

Last edited by combatpigg; 12-31-2022 at 12:34 PM.