Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Setting incidence for my scratch canard

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Setting incidence for my scratch canard

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Ionikios

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting incidence for my scratch canard

I'm starting a twin engined canard from scratch. Have figured the airfoils and wing locations, CG, NP etc. etc. but am confused as to how I get as close as practical with Main Wing and Canard incidence? (actually the canard incidence is just for a starting point as it is a full moving control surface)

Also I would like your expert opinions on a problem that a builder of a modified Rutan's design had with the main wing having to much -Cm which would over power the canard. My question there is whether or not it is as vital in models or considered? I have both airfoils designed inside the limit mention for full scale (-.05)

Also I am making the canard all movable so I know I will have enough canard (elevator) authority. Does is sound like I may be going down the right path? I am about 25% down the road on my fuse and have been working mostly on the airfoils and LG lately.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:32 PM
iron eagel

Default RE: Setting incidence for my scratch canard

I have heard it is best to have the canard at +2 deg AOI in respect to the main wing.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy, Flaps Laffert, and I are on our 8th canard, all of them his designs. We have done pushers, tractors, a pusher twin, a tractor twin and a flying boat. We use positive 3 degrees in the canard.

My advice is to use a large canard (25%-40% of the wing area) and make sure the plane isn't tail heavy.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48794.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	759334  
Old 09-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Ionikios

Thanks Iron Eagle - that was what I had drawn in my cad but wanted to check with those who "been there, done that", you know.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Ionikios

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

My buddy, Flaps Laffert, and I are on our 8th canard, all of them his designs. We have done pushers, tractors, a pusher twin, a tractor twin and a flying boat. We use positive 3 degrees in the canard.

My advice is to use a large canard (25%-40% of the wing area) and make sure the plane isn't tail heavy.

I am at 174sq.in. for canard and 654 for the main. Just made it over your 25% mark. Now that you gave that as a minimum, do you think I should increase the span of my canard (I want to keep the same chord).

Thanks for the 3% suggestion. What about the .05 Cm that I mentioned. Is that a rule you all have used?
I started with Rutans airfoils and worked on them until I got the Cm I wanted and stall ratios (main to canard)
Used Profili Pro V.2

My twins are about 3.75 inches from the CL in yaw. What do you think about engine loss p-factor? The only vertical stabilization I am having are the exhaust stacks being vertical and in sym. airfoil shape. Rudder is extensions from inside the outer portions of the wings (flat plates introduced downward into the air stream) what does your intuit say?

Do you have pix of your canards on the Internet somewhere?

Thanks a million for the input, information and help.

Ionikios
Old 09-09-2007, 11:55 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ionikios

My twins are about 3.75 inches from the CL in yaw.

What do you think about engine loss p-factor? The only vertical stabilization I am having are the exhaust stacks being vertical and in sym. airfoil shape. Rudder is extensions from inside the outer portions of the wings (flat plates introduced downward into the air stream) what does your intuit say?

Thanks a million for the input, information and help.

Ionikios
The thread you've got going elsewhere mentions that your design is for OS46 engines. The props they run are in the 10-12" range. Placing engines like that 7.5" apart is what you plan?

What do you mean by "engine loss p-factor"?
The thread in the other forum gives the impression you've got engine out yaw confused with p-factor. You do understand that p-factor is something that happens when a prop encounters the airflow at some angle other than perpendicular. And the unbalanced thrust has way more effect than the incidental p-effect? The imbalance of thrust from the engine out is way more a problem than any extra effect from the p-effect that happens while the airplane is being yawed by the operating engine.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Ed_Moorman

Here are some of our canard designs, one tractor and two pushers.

Name:	Yw68305.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	759603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26036.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	759604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90922.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	759605  
Old 09-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Ed_Moorman

Here's the twin tractor and the seaplane.

Designing a new plane takes a lot of engneering and a lot of "cut and try" type effort. I believe you must resign yourself to building a minimum of two planes, probably three would be better. This is especially true of the non-conventional designs, like canards and flying wings.

Take our flying boat canard, the Duck. Carl "Flaps" Laffert is the designer (with my input). Right now, it flies, but needs several changes. It took a lot of weight to get it to balance. The engine needs to be moved forward to alleviate this. Overall, it is heavy and has a fairly small wing so a larger wing is needed to lower the wing loading. In addition, the engine mounted on the fin with its high thrust line, we think is giving us a pitch down moment so I am compensating with up control trim. Then when I throttle back for landing, it tends to raise the nose. I can put in a landing program to have some down control switched in, but I'd rather have some up thrust.

As long as his designs fly, Flaps doesn't want to do too many changes. Generally, he wants to see them fly for 3 or 4 weekends and he is off to something else. I would like to see a new plane, slightly longer, with the engine pylon in the fuselage forward of the wing with more up thrust. Plus I want a much larger wing.

Name:	Vt58313.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	759608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61411.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	759609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44473.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	759610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95164.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	759611  
Old 09-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Ionikios

The thread you've got going elsewhere mentions that your design is for OS46 engines. The props they run are in the 10-12" range. Placing engines like that 7.5" apart is what you plan?

What do you mean by "engine loss p-factor"?
The thread in the other forum gives the impression you've got engine out yaw confused with p-factor. You do understand that p-factor is something that happens when a prop encounters the airflow at some angle other than perpendicular. And the unbalanced thrust has way more effect than the incidental p-effect? The imbalance of thrust from the engine out is way more a problem than any extra effect from the p-effect that happens while the airplane is being yawed by the operating engine.
I thought when you loose an engine and the p-factor sum was change by the loss (change in p-factor) was what produced the yaw difference along with the thrust being of center. I understand what you are saying. I didn't express it correctly, because if I loose an engine where the p-factor is working against the other engines p-factor it will be a different yaw effect loosing visa-versa. Thank You for clarifying.

I am planning on 3 or 4 blade custom prop. (not blade overlap :-)

I appreciate the questions, for I have much to learn.

Ionikios

Old 09-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Ionikios

Designing a new plane takes a lot of engneering and a lot of "cut and try" type effort. I believe you must resign yourself to building a minimum of two planes, probably three would be better. This is especially true of the non-conventional designs, like canards and flying wings.

Take our flying boat canard, the Duck. Carl "Flaps" Laffert is the designer (with my input). Right now, it flies, but needs several changes. It took a lot of weight to get it to balance. The engine needs to be moved forward to alleviate this. Overall, it is heavy and has a fairly small wing so a larger wing is needed to lower the wing loading. In addition, the engine mounted on the fin with its high thrust line, we think is giving us a pitch down moment so I am compensating with up control trim. Then when I throttle back for landing, it tends to raise the nose. I can put in a landing program to have some down control switched in, but I'd rather have some up thrust.

As long as his designs fly, Flaps doesn't want to do too many changes. Generally, he wants to see them fly for 3 or 4 weekends and he is off to something else. I would like to see a new plane, slightly longer, with the engine pylon in the fuselage forward of the wing with more up thrust. Plus I want a much larger wing.

Thanx for the pix. I have had a thing for canards since spending some time in Rutan's place in Mohave several years back. I lived in So. Cal. when he was the hottest thing since pancakes. Wanted to build a Veri-ez but never had enough dough. Love to fly, but RC's are a good substitue for us poor folk.

I had thought a lot about a sea going canard (which, of course, goes with the name) My avitar come up in Russian language (actually Cirilic) says DUCK phonetically. That's the name I gave this plane when I came to the forum. I called it Wasp before that because it looked like it could sting. (sorry, rambeling)

My first canard design was with the nacels next to the fuse, but having them forward of the wings would have to be quite a long fuse, it seems. Of course if you make the canard large enough, you can adjust accordingly.

I am building a model "B.2" for a friend of mine after this one and then an A-10 foamy ,maybe versa visa. I say model of "B-2", because after that he an I are building an "experimental" B.2 (10% size B-2) Maybe I'll get to fly that one. He is a aeronautical brain as his hobby and has his own Architech business.

Thanx again and I want to go back and look at your pix more.

Ionikios
Old 09-09-2007, 03:23 PM
da Rock

I thought when you loose an engine and the p-factor sum was change by the loss (change in p-factor) was what produced the yaw difference along with the thrust being of center. I understand what you are saying. I didn't express it correctly, because if I loose an engine where the p-factor is working against the other engines p-factor it will be a different yaw effect loosing visa-versa. Thank You for clarifying.
What do you think p-factor is?

The reason a multi-engined plane yaws when an engine is lost is the balanced thrust/drag becomes unbalanced. Instead of the thrust being centered between the engines, where the drag is centered, it now is off center to the drag.

I am planning on 3 or 4 blade custom prop. (not blade overlap :-)
What would the design parameters be for those props? What are you planning?
Old 09-09-2007, 03:37 PM
da Rock

p-effect is a force that comes from an unbalanced lift coming from a propeller that happens when the prop is pitched or yawed from straightline flight. It happens for example when a taildragger taxiis. Or when any airplane pitches up takeoff. If the airplane is a single engine, it happens to that one prop. If it's a multi, then it happens to both props equally.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Ionikios

ORIGINAL: da Rock

p-effect is a force that comes from an unbalanced lift coming from a propeller that happens when the prop is pitched or yawed from straightline flight. It happens for example when a taildragger taxiis. Or when any airplane pitches up takeoff. If the airplane is a single engine, it happens to that one prop. If it's a multi, then it happens to both props equally.
I had just planned to take a 9X7 3 blade prop. and trim it to 7", I don't expect it to be the perfect fit, if there is a better answer, I'll listen.

I thought p-factor was the "equal and opposite" reaction to the rotation of the props. Thank you for clarifying.

I realized the major factor in twins was the off center thrust occuring. I've flown with friends in twins who taught me a lot because I did fly at one time. I know that some times, in a conventional twin, you pray for enough rudder when you loose an engine, to make back without loosing the strength in your leg.

How do you measure p-factor in relation to the gyro effect (of the prop/engine not wanting to change angle)?

off subj: I see you are a moderator. I can't find how to make the last messages come up to be the first on the list. Can we do that?
Old 09-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Ionikios

Ed: Wasn't the tractor twin difficult to get the CG with the weight of the engine that far forward??? Is that why the wings are swept so far?
Old 09-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Ionikios

I really like the Duck. The Twin tractor is very unique, seems as though quite a challenge???
Old 09-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Ed_Moorman

Actually, no. We had first built a pusher twin. Photo attached. We had to add weight to the nose to get is balances right.

I wrote a program to find the CG of a canard using the formula published by a club mate, Ron Van Putte, when he wrote the pattern column for Model Aviation. It is fairly conservative, which is fine for me. I can handle a tail heavy 3D plane, but a tail heavy canard is something else. Send me your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

The twin tractor was my idea. I talked Flaps into that configuration when he was set to go with another pusher twin. This one balanced very nicely and we had to make no corrections after testing.

We have a little trick we use. After I calculate the CG point, Flaps runs a 3/32 ID aluminum tube through the fuselage at that point. When he gets the plane completed, we poke through the covering over the tube and run a wire through and pick up. This tells you right now if the plane is nose or tail heavy and makes it easy to fix and check. In the close up of the nose of the canard twin, you can see the hole for the tube. It is just about in line with the cylinder heads of the engines. Normally, no one notices the holes.

Name:	Om32389.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	759820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25035.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	759821  
Old 09-09-2007, 07:06 PM
da Rock

I had just planned to take a 9X7 3 blade prop. and trim it to 7", I don't expect it to be the perfect fit, if there is a better answer, I'll listen.
You really need to do some research about props. The load on those 46s needs to keep them running in a sensible rpm range for them. You also need to work out the props before continuing with the design and certainly before gluing together any wood. You need to prove the prop concept works and those two will provide thrust. Why exactly do you plan to use two 46s? Have you considered the amount of weight for the amount of thrust? Twins get a lot of their performance from having much larger combined areas from two less powerful props. You're losing that right off the bat. If you need twins for any reason, you need the area their prop blades sweep for them to be an improvement over a single engine. You'd probably get better performance out of two engines that normally swing 7" three bladers.

IHow do you measure p-factor in relation to the gyro effect (of the prop/engine not wanting to change angle)?
You don't. I know of no formula that predicts p-factor for our size and weight props. Do you know of any that quantifies gyro effect?

off subj: I see you are a moderator. I can't find how to make the last messages come up to be the first on the list. Can we do that?
It sounds like you aren't using the "go to first unread post" button. It is an arrow in a box icon. It's shown immediately left of the thread topic in the list of topics. When you use that capability, it doesn't matter which way you move from that.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Ionikios

Actually, no. We had first built a pusher twin. Photo attached. We had to add weight to the nose to get is balances right.

I wrote a program to find the CG of a canard using the formula published by a club mate, Ron Van Putte, when he wrote the pattern column for Model Aviation. It is fairly conservative, which is fine for me. I can handle a tail heavy 3D plane, but a tail heavy canard is something else. Send me your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

The twin tractor was my idea. I talked Flaps into that configuration when he was set to go with another pusher twin. This one balanced very nicely and we had to make no corrections after testing.

We have a little trick we use. After I calculate the CG point, Flaps runs a 3/32 ID aluminum tube through the fuselage at that point. When he gets the plane completed, we poke through the covering over the tube and run a wire through and pick up. This tells you right now if the plane is nose or tail heavy and makes it easy to fix and check. In the close up of the nose of the canard twin, you can see the hole for the tube. It is just about in line with the cylinder heads of the engines. Normally, no one notices the holes.

Those are great piz, also. Like the tractor twin a lot.

I understand a tailheavy canard is impossible to handle. Thanks for the idea. I have cg on my plane already (about a half inch in front of the landing gear). I have most of the fuse done, a sprung and shocked LG and the fuse will be ready to cover when I get all the internals where and how I want them - for me, it will take quite a while. I put in some flexability in my LG in case I have to move the CG.

On your tractor twin did you need all that aileron authority? I only have 16" X 2" on each side. I will send you the specs. on where I am at the moment. Thanx for everything.

Ionikios
Old 09-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Ionikios

Twins get a lot of their performance from having much larger combined areas from two less powerful props. You're losing that right off the bat. If you need twins for any reason, you need the area their prop blades sweep for them to be an improvement over a single engine. You'd probably get better performance out of two engines that normally swing 7" three bladers.
I'll talk to the owner of the hobby shop that told me that it would be OK........ He's built a lot of planes.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:44 AM
da Rock

I'll talk to the owner of the hobby shop that told me that it would be OK........ He's built a lot of planes.
Did he sell you the two 46s?

Two 46s will give you more thrust than one engine of equal displacement (a 92 in this comparison). They do it with their fan area. The two blades cover a lot more air than the single blade.

Let's compare two OS46AXs to one OS91FX.

The 46s swing 11" props. Those props sweep roughly 265sq.in. of air. They weigh about 36 ounces combined.
The 92 swings a 15" prop. It sweeps roughly 177sp.in. of air. It weighs about 25 ounces.
Cut the props down on the 46s and the 7" props would sweep only 76sq.in. combined but still weigh 36 ounces.

There really are no advantages to using two engines instead of one unless you're using everything those two can give. And you're taking away their one advantage.

What is the design weight and wing loading of your model? Use that to determine for yourself what the power requirements are.

With a design that has so many unique features, it's better to use tried and true power systems.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:51 AM
da Rock

The only vertical stabilization I am having are the exhaust stacks being vertical and in sym. airfoil shape. Rudder is extensions from inside the outer portions of the wings (flat plates introduced downward into the air stream) what does your intuit say?
Look at all of the pictures of Ed's models. They all have vertical fins. And the pushers have exposed engines and exhaust stacks in addition to the fins. And those fins are much larger than the exposed engine parts.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Ionikios

Did he sell you the two 46s?

Two 46s will give you more thrust than one engine of equal displacement (a 92 in this comparison). They do it with their fan area. The two blades cover a lot more air than the single blade.

Let's compare two OS46AXs to one OS91FX.

The 46s swing 11" props. Those props sweep roughly 265sq.in. of air. They weigh about 36 ounces combined.
The 92 swings a 15" prop. It sweeps roughly 177sp.in. of air. It weighs about 25 ounces.
Cut the props down on the 46s and the 7" props would sweep only 76sq.in. combined but still weigh 36 ounces.

There really are no advantages to using two engines instead of one unless you're using everything those two can give. And you're taking away their one advantage.

What is the design weight and wing loading of your model? Use that to determine for yourself what the power requirements are.

With a design that has so many unique features, it's better to use tried and true power systems.
I don't know how to perform power requirements, just wanted to make sure I had enough power. A lot of new designs end up being heavier than initially planed and my target has been 9 lbs with a wing loading of 25 oz. per sq. ft. , we will see how close I get.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Ionikios

The only vertical stabilization I am having are the exhaust stacks being vertical and in sym. airfoil shape. Rudder is extensions from inside the outer portions of the wings (flat plates introduced downward into the air stream) what does your intuit say?
Look at all of the pictures of Ed's models. They all have vertical fins. And the pushers have exposed engines and exhaust stacks in addition to the fins. And those fins are much larger than the exposed engine parts.
I can easily add some if I have to ......... will have to figure that out before getting to the covering. Thanks