Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Banged Up My 50cc Yak QB, Bummed!!

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Banged Up My 50cc Yak QB, Bummed!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 10:02 PM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banged Up My 50cc Yak QB, Bummed!!

Mark and Guys,

I'm feeling the sobering effects of "the learning curve" right now [] Second flight today i took off with the throttle trim too low and it bit me about six minutes or so into the hop. Pulled vertical, center stage for a medium height stall turn. Pulled off the power at the top, and she quit. Being so new to gassers, i botched the finals, got her too slow at about five feet off, snap departure. A couple of crackling bounces off EACH wingtip and a slam, onto the gear................BUGGER[>:] Here's the good part......VERY MINOR DAMAGE overall

Minor to moderate damage to BOTH wingtips, bent wingtube, shattered BOTH wheelpants, one broken wheel, minor to moderate damage to the landing gear mounting structure, bent main gear, minor damage to the main gear hatch, broken tail wheel........

Main gear is repaired straight again, main gear hatch is repaired. The rest is in process. I found three out of the four colors of ultracote at an LHS, and the forth color is ordered. Left a voicemail with Aeroworks today that i need to place an order for a couple parts (wheelpants and wingtube) and a couple other items i want.

Man, the learning curve gave me a good hard kick today, but i still remain positive i can learn these big monsters
Old 10-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Rockyaged

Default RE: Banged Up My 50cc Yak QB, Bummed!!

I had the same problem, though not the same results... I kept forgetting to bump up the throttle
trim after take-off. Now, when I check for good trim before manuevers, bump up throttle is part
of that check. One might consider bumping up the throttle to start the take-off roll. Many ways
to do it, getting it done is the trick.
Hope your repairs go well and quick.

Gerald
Old 10-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Rockyaged

I had the same problem, though not the same results... I kept forgetting to bump up the throttle
trim after take-off. Now, when I check for good trim before manuevers, bump up throttle is part
of that check. One might consider bumping up the throttle to start the take-off roll. Many ways
to do it, getting it done is the trick.
Hope your repairs go well and quick.

Gerald
Old 10-28-2006, 11:12 PM
HoverPuss
My Feedback: (13)

I use the throttle down function on my 9C Super! I have a landing mode I use to taxi with (and land with of course) that is mixed with the throttle down function to slow the plane down on final. It works good for me....

HP
Old 10-29-2006, 07:36 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use just the opposite. I leave my trim where I want it for landing and I use an idle up switch mixed to a know to adjust the idle and a switch to turn it on and off. This is on a 10x
Old 10-31-2006, 02:55 AM
SKYPILOT

Had the whole night free tonight so i got the worst part of the repair work done.

The main landing gear mounting structure is completely repaired, and ready to be recovered.. The plane is sitting on it's maingear and is once again level.. Nice look compaired to a few hours ago when it looked like the leaning tower of pizza, it was not a pretty site.

Got the rest of the colors of Ultracote i was missing, and placed the order with Aeroworks today for a new wing tube, wheel pants, and wheels. If i get lucky with the shipping and the parts make it here by thursday or friday, i could be flying her again this wknd.

Hope springs eternal
Old 10-31-2006, 06:57 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you got it back together so soon. That is definatly part of my flight routine along with setting my timer.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:54 AM
SKYPILOT

Hi Mark,

Well, She's ALL repaired I finished up the recovering tonight and put her all back together. I talked to your people this morning and they said my parts would ship today. So when the parts get here, it will only be a few minutes work to mount the wheels and wheelpants, slide in the new wingtube, and she'll be rockin again
Old 11-03-2006, 12:35 AM
SKYPILOT

Well,

I THOUGHT it was all repaired[] Tonight i was recovering the wingtips where i removed some gouged wood, and replaced with new and sanded to shape. Anyway, i found a bump under the covering where the servo is mounted. Peering through the root rib, i found the problem. One of the servo mount hardwood pieces was broken free from the ribs. This led to peeling off the covering in the area where i then found four broken ribs. This led to removing the entire lower covering wher i also found a good size fracture in the leading sheeting that runs from the spars to the leading edge...............WOW..................A LOT MORE damage than first thought to be[X(][>:]

Well, the good news is, EVERYTHING listed above is now repaired except for recovering. TOO tired and burned out to tackle that tonight

Have a look at this fracture, pretty cool
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93095.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	553546  
Old 11-05-2006, 08:07 PM
SKYPILOT

Well, good news and bad news,

The wings are re-covered and look ok, i have yet to grasp multi layering covering without bubbles, and the new parts i ordered from Aeroworks arived.................thats the good news.

The bad news is UPS (United Parcel SMASHERS) used the box as a baseball bat. The NEW wingtube is BENT, one of the two NEW wheelpants is shattered, the box was LITERALY RIPPED IN HALF!!!!!! held together by a few threads of the packing tape.

So, i have to do the order all over again on monday[>:][>:] While i'm waiting i have decided to send all my 8611As in (5 in the Yak + the ones from my jets) in to Horizon to be checked to make sure they are not the ones with the bad motors, and repaired or replaced if they are.

More down time BUMMER[]
Old 11-07-2006, 01:35 AM
SKYPILOT

Talked to team Aeroworks today

The UPS damaged new parts are re-ordered, BIG thanks to everyone there at Aeroworks

Took a snap of the wings, can anyone tell which one was dorked, stripped, repaired, and recovered ???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45467.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	555710