Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA-Citizenship Requirement?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA-Citizenship Requirement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 05:36 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AMA-Citizenship Requirement?

Does AMA require US citizenship or may a illegal alien become a AMA member-thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 05:54 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default RE: AMA-Citizenship Requirement?

ifn you gots the funds and an address to send the card to, well, that is just about all it takes.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When you asked the same question two years ago, the answer was that AMA membership isn't limited to American citizens. Nothing has changed.

BTW, there are people who are neither U.S. citizens nor illegal aliens.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:02 PM
PLANE JIM

I am sorry I do not recall asking the question two years ago-I did not mean to offend nor trespass on you-thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True, citizenship is not a requirement. The AMA welcomes all modelers, even Texans
Old 09-24-2012, 07:16 PM
PLANE JIM

I know were accepted (we are mostly republicans) But we are not talking politics here because it would cause the thread to be locked down.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:49 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Allow me to refresh your memory

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9798326/tm.htm
Old 09-25-2012, 01:27 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

I know were accepted (we are mostly republicans) But we are not talking politics here because it would cause the thread to be locked down.
The AMA does not discriminate against individuals with memory issues either.

Regards
Frank
Old 09-25-2012, 02:24 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I am sorry I do not recall asking the question two years ago-I did not mean to offend nor trespass on you-thanks

ORIGINAL: United_Pilot

Allow me to refresh your memory

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9798326/tm.htm
Busted!
Old 09-25-2012, 05:43 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Does AMA require US citizenship or may a illegal alien become a AMA member-thanks
Jim,

Just wondering, why this question?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:45 AM
corch
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, cause I should have to show my AMA, driver's license, and long form birth certificate (properly vetted by Sheriff Joe) to fly model aircraft.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:29 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually guys, a non-resident alien should not be applying for a standard AMA membership. They first must be a member of the ama equivalent in their home country then they apply for the AMA's affiliated membership:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/903.pdf
Old 09-25-2012, 10:54 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Be that as it may, I would venture to say, fill out an application, send money and get a card.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:00 AM
GerKonig

To give you a specific answer to your specific question: The AMA does not require citizenship. Yes, an illegal alien could get AMA membership, of course.

Gerry
Old 09-25-2012, 11:27 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Give the man a break, he has that question hovering in his mind for 2 yrs. he is finally getting answers.
Maybe now he can sleep better
Old 09-25-2012, 12:31 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't think this is a political response at all so WHAT PART OF ILLEGAL DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? Is US citizenship required - I think that has been answered well. But Texas sure don't take kindly to any illegals hanging around, and neither do I.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:12 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

Actually guys, a non-resident alien should not be applying for a standard AMA membership. They first must be a member of the ama equivalent in their home country then they apply for the AMA's affiliated membership:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/903.pdf
This is what I also thought .

Thing is , the OP specifically added "Illegal" before the word alien , and if they are in the country Illegally , I highly doubt the AMA's insurance carrier(s) would cover such a "member" if there were an incident .

That's the bottom line for most , yes , to know if this person's actions would be covered , insurance wise ? Sure , the AMA would take their money and issue a membership , but the simple act of being in the country Illegally would mean that the membership and it's benefits would most likely be null and void when called into the ugly light of a court of law .....

Bottom line is , where the subject is Illegal , the deep pocketed insurance company's Lawyers would most certainly find a way to absolve their company of the fiscal responsibility of this Illegal's actions ...
Old 09-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Top_Gunn

but the simple act of being in the country Illegally would mean that the membership and it's benefits would most likely be null and void when called into the ugly light of a court of law .....
I take it you aren't a lawyer. Being here illegally has a number of serious consequences, including the possibility that you may be deported (unless the administration issues an executive order saying we won't deport your sort of illegal alien). But it doesn't mean you are deprived of all legal protection. If you are here illegally and buy an insurance policy, you are entitled to the benefits of whatever you bought. A court will no more take that away from you than it will make you give back all the stuff you have bought. There is no law that says aliens, even those here illegally, forfeit all their legal rights.

As several of us told the OP the first time he asked, AMA membership is not limited to US citizens. The fact that there are special requirements for people who are not U.S. (or Canadian) residents doesn't change that; residence and citizenship are not the same thing.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:31 PM
init4fun

ORIGINAL: Top_Gunn

I take it you aren't a lawyer. Being here illegally has a number of serious consequences, including the possibility that you may be deported (unless the administration issues an executive order saying we won't deport your sort of illegal alien). But it doesn't mean you are deprived of all legal protection.
Nope , not a Lawyer , just a guy who saw a friend get screwed by an insurance company that denied coverage for a drunk Illegal alien who slammed his car into my buddy's car .... The deep pocket insurance Co. figured a way around paying that claim right quick cause the drunk was Illegal .....

I take it YOU ain't an insurance case Lawyer either ..............
Old 09-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Top_Gunn

Do you have a citation to a judicial opinion in the case you've described? As it happens, I do have a fair amount of experience with insurance law. "An illegal alien hit my friend and it wasn't covered by insurance" tells us nothing. For instance, was it the illegal alien's policy or someone else's? Was the court's decision based on lack of coverage, on who was at fault, or what? And so on. A story like yours, with no detail, is of no help in understanding what the law on this is. It's like saying "A guy named Jones ran over my friend and didn't have to pay. This shows that the courts always rule in favor of guys named Jones." Well, no.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:02 PM
JohnAsaPrice

<troll>
Old 09-25-2012, 05:06 PM
koastrc

Guy comes to a fly in. Shows his AMA card. How do we know it is his card? No matter where he is from. "IF" something happens then we know I figure. Maybe? This is one of those things I like to follow on RCU. Always fun. Besides what do we have to do to get a card? Just asking.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:17 PM
init4fun

Do you have a citation to a judicial opinion in the case you've described? As it happens, I do have a fair amount of experience with insurance law. ''An illegal alien hit my friend and it wasn't covered by insurance'' tells us nothing. For instance, was it the illegal alien's policy or someone else's? Was the court's decision based on lack of coverage, on who was at fault, or what? And so on. A story like yours, with no detail, is of no help in understanding what the law on this is. It's like saying ''A guy named Jones ran over my friend and didn't have to pay. This shows that the courts always rule in favor of guys named Jones.'' Well, no.

Hi Top Gunn

The Illegal guy borrowed the car from one of his workmates . The car was properly registered and insured , but since the guy was Illegal , he had no US driver's licence . Even though he had borrowed the car with permission of it's owner , the Insurance refused to pay for the damages because the Illegal guy was breaking the law by driving without a licence . This left my friend to do one of two things , sue the owner of the car that hit his , cause the insurance denied them , or claim it under his own insurance and get hit with a huge deductable and points on his policy (costs more per given level of insurance) ..... Well , of course he wasn't gonna take the time from work and go to the bother of a court case over a $6K car getting totalled , It'd cost him $10K to get any satisfaction !

Now , If need be , I can probablly produce pictures of my buddy's wrecked car , but the point being that there is never a "one size fits all" blanket answer you can give when courts are involved , and you as a Lawyer or whatever legal personnel you are should know this first hand ..... Once the time comes for insurance companies to have to pay a claim , they look for any and every angle possible to whittle down the award to the lowest possible amount . So called insurance "Adjusters" are there to adjust all right , they're there to attempt to adjust DOWN the money their company has to pay !

So yes , I do believe an insurance company would try to distance itself if an Illegal hurt someone with a model plane , just as I believe my friend lost out big time in my example above .....

[8D] Happy Flying ...........
Old 09-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Top_Gunn

OK, thanks for the added detail. If I understand your story, the reason the guy wasn't covered was that he had no driver's license (not that the decision makes sense, even with that fact in the mix). I don't think the case has any relevance to the AMA insurance question. It certainly doesn't show that being here illegally means you can't have insurance for anything. In fact, your story is about an illegal alien who did not have insurance. It's true, of course, that insurance companies often try to deny coverage when they can. But they don't always win, and denying coverage on the ground that the person they sold insurance to was here illegally seems like a likely loser to me.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:42 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: init4fun

Do you have a citation to a judicial opinion in the case you've described? As it happens, I do have a fair amount of experience with insurance law. ''An illegal alien hit my friend and it wasn't covered by insurance'' tells us nothing. For instance, was it the illegal alien's policy or someone else's? Was the court's decision based on lack of coverage, on who was at fault, or what? And so on. A story like yours, with no detail, is of no help in understanding what the law on this is. It's like saying ''A guy named Jones ran over my friend and didn't have to pay. This shows that the courts always rule in favor of guys named Jones.'' Well, no.

Hi Top Gunn

The Illegal guy borrowed the car from one of his workmates . The car was properly registered and insured , but since the guy was Illegal , he had no US driver's licence . Even though he had borrowed the car with permission of it's owner , the Insurance refused to pay for the damages because the Illegal guy was breaking the law by driving without a licence . This left my friend to do one of two things , sue the owner of the car that hit his , cause the insurance denied them , or claim it under his own insurance and get hit with a huge deductable and points on his policy (costs more per given level of insurance) ..... Well , of course he wasn't gonna take the time from work and go to the bother of a court case over a $6K car getting totalled , It'd cost him $10K to get any satisfaction !

Now , If need be , I can probablly produce pictures of my buddy's wrecked car , but the point being that there is never a "one size fits all" blanket answer you can give when courts are involved , and you as a Lawyer or whatever legal personnel you are should know this first hand ..... Once the time comes for insurance companies to have to pay a claim , they look for any and every angle possible to whittle down the award to the lowest possible amount . So called insurance "Adjusters" are there to adjust all right , they're there to attempt to adjust DOWN the money their company has to pay !

So yes , I do believe an insurance company would try to distance itself if an Illegal hurt someone with a model plane , just as I believe my friend lost out big time in my example above .....

[8D] Happy Flying ...........
The real reason the insurance got out of paying was because their insured loaned his car to someone with out aU.S. drivers license which he should have
know was a no no. If my car had been hit I would have made a claim with my insurance and let them go after who ever. However there are legal ways that
a none citzien can drive in most any country because people on vacation rent cars all the time while in other countrys but your regular private inswont cover
loaning your car like acommercial policy would.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.