Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Embracing new technologies

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Embracing new technologies

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:41 PM
bruceal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AMA says that if #550 isn't followed, the pilot is not covered. So alot of those youtube videos are being done without AMA insurance.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:57 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by bruceal
The AMA says that if #550 isn't followed, the pilot is not covered. So alot of those youtube videos are being done without AMA insurance.
That may very well be true but this particular line of discussion was in regards to your AMA club and AMA members...but if we want to take a tangent to vilify NON AMAers...Let's go.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:18 PM
bruceal

Don't get my club involved because we don't do FPV. And I bet alot of those videos are by AMA members. And like I said if 550 isn't follwed there is no AMA coverage. And again, say what you want and see me how you want, but I am the guy that is held accountable by the local politicians that give us permission to use their property. Our board has thought about this long and hard before coming to a conclusion on this. What everyone else does is up to them. What alot of people don't get is that you can wipe your butt with your insurance if you cause a problem. Too many people think that they can do what they want because their insured.

Criticize me and my club all you want, I was the one who got permission for the land in the first place. That means they come to if someone complains. A few years ago when we first started, I got a phone call from the Parks Dept. Someone had found a plane in their front yard and they wanted to see if it was one of ours. Now this was found about 2 1/2 miles from the field. As it turns out, the plane was a person that was flying in a baseball field near where it was found. The point is that when something goes wrong, people are fast to look at the local clubs. That's another reason why I don't really like the idea of FPV in congested areas. But it doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:31 PM
littlecrankshaf

Sorry if I come of as criticizing you. Its guys like you that we all owe so very much to. You efforts are commendable! I am only trying to understand how you see FPV as such a big risk...Then I may understand why others do as well...

I'll just tell you we have very similar constraints here as you do...but we enjoy FPVers...trying to understand...that's all...
Old 01-23-2014, 03:16 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by combatpigg
You've got it completely bass-ackwards.
Banning this NEW object maintains the status quo and that is definitely conservative thinking..punishing the person who misuses an object is a bi-partisan value.
Just wondering, do you copy and paste some of your miserably failed Pro-PPP arguments and recycle them here..?
Uh, no,
FPV is only a relatively new way to enjoy an established hobby.
FPV has never been illegal, has been around for a number of years, and so is
in effect part of the status quo.
You wanting to ban FPV because of fear is exactly the same tactic the left has used for years in the gun control battle.
Think a little bit before you type, please.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:29 PM
bruceal

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Sorry if I come of as criticizing you. Its guys like you that we all owe so very much to. You efforts are commendable! I am only trying to understand how you see FPV as such a big risk...Then I may understand why others do as well...

I'll just tell you we have very similar constraints here as you do...but we enjoy FPVers...trying to understand...that's all...
One of our members is also the president of a club. They fly all smaller electric stuff in a park. The were told by the Parks Dept. that if they do FPV they would no longer be welcome there. That all stems from an FPV guy flying out over a golf course two miles away. We share some of the same members and don't want thee same problem. People who spend money on that technology want to be able to use it, that's the bottom line.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:44 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Of course a large percentage of AMA members who fly from club fields do their best to follow the rules, but a large percentage of "club flyers" break either the AMA rules or the club's rules every day. Don't kid yourself. With FPV any AMA card holder who is not flying at a AMA field knows that it's easy to "cheat" the rules and still be covered if something goes horribly wrong.
FPV spreads the dangers involved with this hobby much further out into the surrounding areas of the general population at a time when we need to look for ways to do a better job of confining our dangers and giving Big Brother fewer excuses to get involved with our sport.
Wait a minute!
A few posts ago you were saying I was wrong about AMA members breaking the rules, and how you drive by AMA clubs all the time and never see them busting the boundaries, and now you know
they are breaking the rules every day? What rules are you talking about now? We are talking about keeping FPV within the field boundaries, you do know that, right?

What makes you sure that AMA members flying FPV away from AMA fields are going to cheat and lie about what they were doing when "something goes horribly wrong"?
What kind of AMA members do you hang out with?
This discussion has been mostly about flying FPV at AMA fields under the rules of doc. 550.
That activity does not spread the dangers out into the the surrounding areas.
You understand that, right?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:38 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 804
Wait a minute!
A few posts ago you were saying I was wrong about AMA members breaking the rules, and how you drive by AMA clubs all the time and never see them busting the boundaries, and now you know
they are breaking the rules every day? What rules are you talking about now? We are talking about keeping FPV within the field boundaries, you do know that, right?

What makes you sure that AMA members flying FPV away from AMA fields are going to cheat and lie about what they were doing when "something goes horribly wrong"?
What kind of AMA members do you hang out with?
This discussion has been mostly about flying FPV at AMA fields under the rules of doc. 550.
That activity does not spread the dangers out into the the surrounding areas.
You understand that, right?
You claimed that you see planes over flying your boundaries all the time and I told you that I rarely do. Do not twist that, it just makes you look like a desperate liar.
There are a lot of other rules besides flying past boundaries such as noise, properly marked and identified planes, local safety requirements for control linkages, altitude restrictions, etc., etc..
The fact remains that the conservative minded folks want to maintain and be protective of the status quo and the liberals want to always expand for the sake of expansion, embrace something new for the sake of embracing something that is new.
It's just that simple.
Your analogy to gun control is ridiculous, that is also a bi-partisan issue. Folks who get all their "facts" from Yahoo and CNN would not think so, so if that applies to you, you are forgiven.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:00 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, I've had to remove some posts here from this thread. Time to put the brakes on the posts as you guys are getting a bit out of control here.

Ken
Old 01-24-2014, 11:14 AM
littlecrankshaf

You claimed that you see planes over flying your boundaries all the time and I told you that I rarely do. Do not twist that, it just makes you look like a desperate liar.
I'd say "rarely" is pretty close to never or as next to never as reasonably expected... your implication that 804 looks like a "desperate liar" is far from being right IMO. 804 has shown much greater integrity than your assessment allows! He certainly deserves better than that remark!

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 01-24-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:58 AM
combatpigg

I'd say "rarely" is pretty close to never or as next to never as reasonably expected... your implication that 804 looks like a "desperate liar" is far from being right IMO. 804 has shown much greater integrity than your assessment allows! He certainly deserves better than that remark!
In this case there is a huge difference when a guy is trying to build a phoney case that is based on a deliberate distortion of the truth.
Those who have little respect for the truth and who use this same tactic themselves WOULD have trouble understanding this.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:38 PM
littlecrankshaf

In this case there is a huge difference when a guy is trying to build a phoney case that is based on a deliberate distortion of the truth.
Those who have little respect for the truth and who use this same tactic themselves WOULD have trouble understanding this.
CP,

Your characterization of 804 as desperate and and lier many times exceeds any material discrepancy he may have made. But you are right about one thing "Those who have little respect for the truth and who use this same tactic themselves WOULD have trouble understanding this." and that statement seems to apply to more than the author in this case...
Old 01-24-2014, 01:43 PM
combatpigg

CP,

Your characterization of 804 as desperate and and lier many times exceeds any material discrepancy he may have made. But you are right about one thing "Those who have little respect for the truth and who use this same tactic themselves WOULD have trouble understanding this." and that statement seems to apply to more than the author in this case...
Back that up with an example.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:38 PM
littlecrankshaf

Back that up with an example.
Based on that very premise the proof of that, to you, would be impossible... It would normally be hard to believe someone would ask such a ridiculous question but in this case understandable.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:12 PM
combatpigg

Based on that very premise the proof of that, to you, would be impossible... It would normally be hard to believe someone would ask such a ridiculous question but in this case understandable.
Way to "Cowboy Up" to the fact that I do not lie about what people have said in a desperate attempt to discredit them. You know this about me and also know that searching for examples would be futile.
You try to minimalize [put a spin] on what he tried to do and that makes you look equally bad. It serves to undermine any credibility that you might think that you have earned.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:35 PM
littlecrankshaf

Not trying to minimize anything. I think his point was that you along with many others believe only they can be trusted... He probably just failed to go back and read your exact wording as that was merely a side note to the overall point... i.e. a little slip-up...happens all the time. After I read his post it seemed close enough to be germane to the overall point.

I guess you wouldn't know about making little mistakes like that though, as you are perfect and always right.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:53 PM
littlecrankshaf

Of course a large percentage of AMA members who fly from club fields do their best to follow the rules, but a large percentage of "club flyers" break either the AMA rules or the club's rules every day. .
See...this is what he was responding to. Seems fairly contradictory in light of what I remember (not lying just how I remember it) as you seemed to indicate earlier that "regular" modelers are much more in control and less likely to not to honor rules.

You should man up for once make a retract and make an apology in my opinion...and I know how much you value my opinion... so I won't hold my breath.

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 01-24-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:19 PM
combatpigg

Not trying to minimize anything. I think his point was that you along with many others believe only they can be trusted... He probably just failed to go back and read your exact wording as that was merely a side note to the overall point... i.e. a little slip-up...happens all the time. After I read his post it seemed close enough to be germane to the overall point.

I guess you wouldn't know about making little mistakes like that though, as you are perfect and always right.
This doesn't "just happen" as a little mistake..
You are nothing more than a coddler, apologist, enabler and a Komrade of this sort of behaviour.
It was NOT a "little mistake"..any idiot who is able to scroll back through a few posts can easily see that.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:24 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
Ok guys, I've had to remove some posts here from this thread. Time to put the brakes on the posts as you guys are getting a bit out of control here.

Ken
Wow , and here I thought this kind of stuff only goes on in the HK threads ...... God Bless you Ken , I got some extra aspirin here if ya need any .......

And , for my ON topic comment , , I'm quite sure that folks , yes , even AMA members , occasionally break the rules . It happens . Just like when Police officers get caught drunk driving and priests get caught stealing . It happens ...... If ALL humans , or even a goodly percentage of us , WERE perfect , well , we wouldn't have much need for law enforcement nor Sunday confessional , now would we ......

Happy Flying Guys .....
Old 01-24-2014, 09:56 PM
littlecrankshaf

This doesn't "just happen" as a little mistake..
You are nothing more than a coddler, apologist, enabler and a Komrade of this sort of behaviour.
It was NOT a "little mistake"..any idiot who is able to scroll back through a few posts can easily see that.
Ok...have your way...It wasn't a mistake then...I guess 804 figured you or anyone else wouldn't be able to prove his great deception. I always considered him a brighter than usual fellow but maybe you are right...he may be very stupid and a pathetic lier.

Sorry 804...there comes a time you just have to give up on any fairness. BTDT

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 01-24-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:29 AM
littlecrankshaf

In all this time I have NEVER seen RC flown way out of bounds on purpose, for the thrill of it.
In post #272 you said this... Now, maybe even you can understand how someone might say "never" in regards to your observation of such...Now, what idiot couldn't go back and look something up?

I am glad I quoted you back then or your edit may have continued your deception of the circumatances we are discussing now...As you have been duly noted for changing your posts to materially alter your original content.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:09 AM
combatpigg

In post #272 you said this... Now, maybe even you can understand how someone might say "never" in regards to your observation of such...Now, what idiot couldn't go back and look something up?

I am glad I quoted you back then or your edit may have continued your deception of the circumatances we are discussing now...As you have been duly noted for changing your posts to materially alter your original content.
One comment was about 804 seeing guys accidentally [without their knowing it] over-flying their boundaries quite often. I told him that I RARELY see that happen.
End of that discussion.
RARELY is not even close to saying NEVER. NEVER means just that, NEVER.

Then I commented about the FPVer who was caught WAY OUT OF BOUNDS flying over a sewage plant on purpose.
In this case I said that I've NEVER seen conventional RCers flying that far out of bounds on purpose.
Completely different matter.

Then I commented that AMA club members break the rules everyday, even though the vast majority do their best to obey all the AMA and club rules.
This is when 804 found what he thought was his golden opportunity to discredit me by "manufacturing" his version of the truth by intentionally accusing me of saying both, "I NEVER SEE AMA MEMBERS BREAKING THE RULES" and also, "I SEE THEM BREAK THE RULES ALL THE TIME".
The former is a deliberate distortion of the truth, [also known as a lie] he concocted to make a point that just isn't there to be made in the first place.
I called him on it as a lie but in your expert Pro Bono estimation it was just an honest mistake...?
You're also implying that you've got examples [with conflicting date stamps] where I've gone back to change key words in posts to change that post's "material" meaning...?
How do you come up with this stuff...?
Jenkem much...?
Old 01-25-2014, 12:55 PM
littlecrankshaf

Wow... Look who's twisting now???? "Conflicting times stamps" I never said that! You are being very deceptive and not truthful! to say the very least...at least I showed a little more class and didn't call you a desperate lier...

I give up on you! Just keep on hating and tell yourself you are right and everything will be just fine.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:52 PM
combatpigg

Do you see all those "curly marks" I used in my last post..?
Those are called question marks. We use those when a question is being posed to clear up what someone else means to say.
Once again I have to put on my "teacher's hat" and explain something to you that should have been taught back in grade school, There is a huge difference between asking a question up front versus making a clear cut statement or an accusation. The use of the question mark is how we are able to make that distinction.
Problem is, you are so quick on the trigger to some how show me up that you keep "Barney Fifin'" yourself in the foot.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:23 AM
littlecrankshaf

Do you see all those "curly marks" I used in my last post..?
Those are called question marks. We use those when a question is being posed to clear up what someone else means to say.
Once again I have to put on my "teacher's hat" and explain something to you that should have been taught back in grade school, There is a huge difference between asking a question up front versus making a clear cut statement or an accusation. The use of the question mark is how we are able to make that distinction.
Problem is, you are so quick on the trigger to some how show me up that you keep "Barney Fifin'" yourself in the foot.
Look...defend your ever greater defenseless position however you wish...you keep digging deeper and deeper...you are embarrassing yourself more and more with every new post. Snap out of it already!!! You have had your say and I've had mine...How about going back to regular programming now? Is that ok with you, mister master sir??

Yesterday I made a little trip to Austin, Texas. I won a very generous gift certificate at the "Huckfest" a while back and so while I was there I took the time while to redeem it. Since it has been a long time since I had been in a hobby store, I asked what was "hot". The response was a little surprising...but FPV and quad copters were cited as the #1 business transaction now. Matter of fact while I was there a customer was purchasing a fairly nice model.

FWIW my impression is that the local club(s) doesn't have a great enough interest/support in that type of aircraft to enlist the emphatic response the hobby shop guys were giving me. So I figure a very high percentage must go to non-AMA modelers. Now, if anyone knows anything about Austin, Texas they know it is a place that prides itself on being "weird". Apparently this has been going on for quite some time now. Guess what? Haven't heard of any great problems there...matter of fact haven't heard of even one. Now with that, I submit to all the chicken littles, that the hobby isn't going to be doomed by all this "new" activity since if were going to ever be a problem Austin, Texas would have likely experienced it by now. People are trying it out... and who knows, many may get into other facets of model aviation. An RC model in every home would be a good thing.

All this fear being exhibited now by the chicken little types is very much the same they did at the turn of the century (yep, this is the twenty first century now) about 3D. Well guess what???(curly mark for CP) They were wrong then and are likely just as wrong today. Who knows, this type of modeling might give the hobby the shot in the arm it needs....very much like 3D and electric models have.

Anyway, FPV is here, has been here, and I think here to stay now. We can either keep crying like little wash women to each other or make the best of it...make your choice. AMA certainly has, whether you like it or not...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.