Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Embracing new technologies

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Embracing new technologies

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 02:38 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Too funny.
The loudest, most feverishly rabid backer of the miserably failed PPPPP [Park Pilot Program Pork barrel Project] is giving out advice on how not to embarrass oneself.
Too funny.

You're using a lot of the same arguments here, IIRC. The Grande Finale as usual being the "Band Wagon" one.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:04 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Too funny.
The loudest, most feverishly rabid backer of the miserably failed PPPPP [Park Pilot Program Pork barrel Project] is giving out advice on how not to embarrass oneself.
Too funny.

You're using a lot of the same arguments here, IIRC. The Grande Finale as usual being the "Band Wagon" one.
Talking about fabricating lies... I have never been a fan of the PP program...People that know me also know I generally dislike the word "program" or any term closely related... Programs are generally for those that need direction. I've proudly earned the title of "anarchist" in most people's mind. Even though the label is not exactly right, I'll take it over many others of those that aspire to "status quo" mediocrity that most find so comfortable.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:18 PM
combatpigg

Bull-o-knee.
You just know that your RCU posting archives don't go back far enough for me to unearth all the posts you made about how it was the AMA's sworn duty to do everything they could possibly do to promote this form of model aviation and how they were losing out on such an enormous "market".
Old 01-26-2014, 06:02 PM
littlecrankshaf

Bull-o-knee.
You just know that your RCU posting archives don't go back far enough for me to unearth all the posts you made about how it was the AMA's sworn duty to do everything they could possibly do to promote this form of model aviation and how they were losing out on such an enormous "market".
Now that's hilarious. I am unaware of just how far RCU archives go...so another fabrication on your part. Seems a present preoccupation with me... A future Red in the making. Keep digging and you'll find it one day... LOL Have you started your dossier collection yet? You should add me now and don't forget 804...
Old 01-26-2014, 06:13 PM
combatpigg

Actually, I did find a way to go way back and look at the PPP posts. I just typed in your screen name and PPP on a google search. You're right, You were against it.
Right guy, wrong issue.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:15 PM
littlecrankshaf

Actually, I did find a way to go way back and look at the PPP posts. I just typed in your screen name and PPP on a google search. You're right, You were against it.
Right guy, wrong issue.
And you know what??? I never called you a desperate lier in this recent exchange...
Old 01-26-2014, 06:34 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
And you know what??? I never called you a desperate lier in this recent exchange...
And you know what...?
When you denied it, I believed you enough to doubt my memory and I found that I was wrong.
I never took a direct quote of your's and intentionally morphed a key word to flip the entire meaning of what you were trying to say 180.
That's where desperation comes into play.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:54 PM
littlecrankshaf

And you know what...?
When you denied it, I believed you enough to doubt my memory and I found that I was wrong.
I never took a direct quote of your's and intentionally morphed a key word to flip the entire meaning of what you were trying to say 180.
That's where desperation comes into play.

180...Hmmm...remind me, who did that?
Old 01-27-2014, 11:10 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TWENTY THREE Consecutive posts between you two 'Men' ....

ONE of those posts had SOME on topic information, and a lot of slinging.

can we please bring this discussion back on topic please?
(and thank you init4fun for staying on topic and out of the mud.)

thank you.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:23 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by AMA 74894
TWENTY THREE Consecutive posts between you two 'Men' ....

ONE of those posts had SOME on topic information, and a lot of slinging.

can we please bring this discussion back on topic please?
(and thank you init4fun for staying on topic and out of the mud.)

thank you.
well...couldn't you have just added something that might get this request of yours going in a positive direction??? I guess I can help you out; What's your opinion about AMA's quest to "embrace technology"?

You have the floor now to do more than pontificate.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:12 PM
AMA 74894

my intent was to politely point out that the discussion was going in the same direction as an old airplane I once had with a snap roll switch directly next to the landing gear switch.
(it's one of my 'duties' as a moderator: try to keep discussions from circling the proverbial 'bowl')
although it was the 49 PM's and moderator tickets I received from members complaining about this thread that caused me to chime in.

Since you asked, I think the AMA has a difficult job in front of them. FPV may well be the future of this sport, it may be outlawed for 'hobby use' or could go in any one of a number of directions.
Since the AMA's mission is 'dedicated to the promotion of model aviation as a recognized sport as well as a recreational activity'
and since Model Aviation is itself an evolving technology (and has been for nearly a century) it's logical that AMA should support all forms of Model aviation.

important note: that means the AMA must compile some set of rules or guidelines so they can continue to support the sport SAFELY.
it's obvious that if something like FPV caused unknowing lawmakers to write legislation banning from the public any flying vehicle that can also carry a camera, well that would be bad for the AMA, bad for you and bad for me.

it's the AMA's job to simultaneously embrace FPV (when done according to the AMA's safety code)
AND to distance itself from FPV when done recklessly or in a manner that does not comply with their safety guidelines.

(really, they have the same job as they always have: embrace the folks who are responsibly enjoying this sport and distance themselves from those who operate aircraft in a reckless manner.)
Old 01-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mr. Buzzeo, while I don't like your stated reasons for your thesis, I do know that they are 101% correct. Therefore I do say to you that your post is very well written, and IMO is a very sound basis. Good Show, Old Chap!!!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:44 PM
AMA 74894

Thanks, Hoss
I suppose I should have pointed out, AMA has already (obviously) written that set of rules I alluded to
Old 01-27-2014, 12:52 PM
littlecrankshaf

Thanks, Hoss
I suppose I should have pointed out, AMA has already (obviously) written that set of rules I alluded to
Glad I asked. A well needed post about this evolving form of model aviation. Seems you pretty much nailed it of those matters you spoke IMHO
Old 01-29-2014, 03:35 AM
smeckert

Watch "Tramin / Termeno - Felssturz / Frana / Rock fall - Luftaufnahmen Aerial riprese aeree 21.01.2014" on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZtx...e_gdata_player

Not to stay on topic , but here is an example of drone use . Was this all line of sight ? Did the drone cause the carnage seen here? I myself think this is a great use of the "new technology".
Old 01-29-2014, 04:39 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by smeckert
Watch "Tramin / Termeno - Felssturz / Frana / Rock fall - Luftaufnahmen Aerial riprese aeree 21.01.2014" on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZtx...e_gdata_player

Not to stay on topic , but here is an example of drone use . Was this all line of sight ? Did the drone cause the carnage seen here? I myself think this is a great use of the "new technology".
Yep, I think some here might agree...that FPV must have bumped the side of the mountain and caused the avalanche. And just how inconsiderate was the pilot to then film the aftermath...You just can't trust them darn FPVers. I hope they find the guy and hang him by the thumbs. I can't wait till the next club meeting so I can tell everyone how terrible FPVing is.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:56 AM
smeckert

My thoughts too . Video was edited so no one would know the fpv caused the whole thing .
Old 01-29-2014, 12:34 PM
littlecrankshaf

Here's one that Anti FPVers will enjoy... If we just shoot them down our world will be great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3DmZAx0bdQ
Old 01-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the bass supposed to be that distorted or do I have a problem with my sound system?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:28 PM
combatpigg

I live in a rural setting and am not sure how I'd react to seeing one of those things at 200 feet or less in an obvious hover over my place.
I don't think the framers of our constitution would have needed more than 2 seconds to know how they would have reacted, though.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 AM
littlecrankshaf

I live in a rural setting and am not sure how I'd react to seeing one of those things at 200 feet or less in an obvious hover over my place.
I don't think the framers of our constitution would have needed more than 2 seconds to know how they would have reacted, though.
Rural or urban...50ft or 500 or 40,000... Privacy or safety...government or private...where do our concerns really begin and end? It seems most have already accepted the fact that aircraft can overfly our property without our permission. Most have already accepted the fact that government and private privilege can take unauthorized imagery of our backyard. Questions going forward will be the same as always...what privilege will we allow money and government...the little guy likely won't realize the differential if kept relatively comfortable while the erosion of our liberty and freedoms occurs by being traded for safety and security... but for many, and more importantly to them, is the convenience of privilege... Today to get some people activated depends on the inconvenience they perceive of some action...they give very little thought to the consequences as long as doesn't interfere with whatever privilege that has been bestowed them...

It seems to me we have left the principles of our past, it's no longer about rights and liberty...its about privilege of convenience. Government, by the indirect control of money, can now turn the spigot on or off at will. Our behavior is now conditioned by the rewards or punishments of the conveniences allowed us...

So as combatpig alludes to, we will have to make our choice whenever confronted with whatever... There may be repercussions... but that's a decision we will have to make if we find something buzzing in our backyard. It its probably best not to say what I'd do...

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 01-30-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rural or urban...50ft or 500 or 40,000... Privacy or safety...government or private...where do our concerns really begin and end? It seems most have already accepted the fact that aircraft can overfly our property without our permission
Only for FAA controled aircraft, and only when above their minimum altitudes. It is legal to shoot down an RC aircraft over your property in many states, I don't know why FPV aircraft would be any different.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 01-30-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:18 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Rural or urban...50ft or 500 or 40,000... Privacy or safety...government or private...where do our concerns really begin and end? It seems most have already accepted the fact that aircraft can overfly our property without our permission

Only for FAA controled aircraft, and only when above their minimum altitudes. It is legal to shoot down an RC aircraft over your property in many states, I don't know why FPV aircraft would be any different.
I'll concede your assertion. But what if that FPV is a government system or privileged by license? Its coming!

It all started back when the Wright's built the first airplane. If someone had said then" That's really an awesome flying bicycle you have there...but won't it get boring just flying over your field? Instead we took the other tangent...The greatest advent of all times...we will have conveniences we never dreamed...we will be able to travel and see grandma on thanksgiving...we will be able to kill people faster and better during wars...
Old 01-30-2014, 09:26 AM
AMA 74894

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
I'll concede your assertion. But what if that FPV is a government system or privileged by license? Its coming!

It all started back when the Wright's built the first airplane. If someone had said then" That's really an awesome flying bicycle you have there...but won't it get boring just flying over your field? Instead we took the other tangent...The greatest advent of all times...we will have conveniences we never dreamed...we will be able to travel and see grandma on thanksgiving...we will be able to kill people faster and better during wars...
EXACTLY!!! and THERE is the role of the AMA!
to differentiate between the (civilian) people who would use FPV for purposes of essentially anything EXCEPT 'hobby use' (spying, dropping bad things on people or private property)
and we hobbyists, who follow a safety code and are not allowed (only by the rules we agree to follow) to do such things with our FPV vehicles.

but if you're asserting that the government is at fault, if you're alluding that 'this is what's wrong with this country' etc, that's a discussion for another forum, not this one.
:-D
Old 01-30-2014, 09:54 AM
littlecrankshaf

EXACTLY!!! and THERE is the role of the AMA!
to differentiate between the (civilian) people who would use FPV for purposes of essentially anything EXCEPT 'hobby use' (spying, dropping bad things on people or private property)
and we hobbyists, who follow a safety code and are not allowed (only by the rules we agree to follow) to do such things with our FPV vehicles.

but if you're asserting that the government is at fault, if you're alluding that 'this is what's wrong with this country' etc, that's a discussion for another forum, not this one.
:-D
Well, if we continue on the current path, AMA will be nothing more than an extension of the FAA... Who knows, one day the AMA will be issuing license for small unmanned aerial systems (or whatever they decide to call it).

We as AMA members need to take a hard look at the consequences of such a thing happening...so in that context, it is of some concern... Its easy to make some distinction between government action and our views of how this all relates to us but in the end it really is (or should be) one in the same IMHO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.