Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA to spend $250,000 on FPV

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA to spend $250,000 on FPV

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:37 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do we know what has been spent to-date in addition to this money and what is the stated purpose and goals of the small UAS program?

Frank
Old 08-15-2014, 04:52 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
Do we know what has been spent to-date in addition to this money and what is the stated purpose and goals of the small UAS program?

Frank

Hardly, we have the meeting notes from HC and the response I received from Rich Hanson to "Ask AMA".

[TABLE="class: cms_table_main_table, width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: cms_table_table_header_cell, align: left"]Thu Aug 07 2014 11:56AM by bradpaul[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #FFFFFF, align: left"]Just what is the "small UAS program" that was allocated $250,000 at the last EC Meeting?

Why as a Leader Member have I not heard of this program and can find no reference to it when searching the AMA site?

thank you,

Brad Paul
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE="class: cms_table_main_table, width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: cms_table_table_header_cell, align: left"]Mon Aug 11 2014 10:40AM by Richard Hanson[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #F8F8F8, align: left"]Hi Brad,

This is a program that has been under development since October of 2013. The program is designed to provide guidance and support for the purposeful us of UAS/model aircraft.

The AMA staff was tasked by the Executive Council to develop the program at the October 19, 2013 EC meeting. This program was presented and approved by the EC at the July 19, 2014 meeting.

You should be able to find reference to it by reviewing the minutes of these two meetings. More specific information will be made available once the program is finalized and launched. You should also be able to get additional information from your District Vice President.

Rich Hanson
AMA Government and Regulatory Affairs
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Reference in the meeting minutes? What a wonderful non answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the section from the October 19th EC Meeting:

AMA/sUAS Advisory
The committee’s mission over the past year and a half has been to define AMA’s support as far as products and services for the FPV/sUAS community. There are two sides to this issue; there is a recreational side and a personal use/light commercial side.

Various groups were polled to find out where they thought AMA should fit in. R. Hanson has been on the road attending various conventions, seminars, events, etc. and has a lot of good information on where this community is heading.

Recreational users can use the platforms now under the AMA guidelines. The committee will focus more on developing a program for the recreational community. The staff is tasked with developing a program for the personal and light commercial community. Approving the motion gives the staff and committee the latitude to make some decisions independent of council because time will be of the essence on many of the issues, both in writing the standards, creating programming functionality and infrastructure.

And of course the July 19th Minutes will not be published buntil they are approved at the next EC Meeting, October 11, 2014

Do they really think we are such fools to accept such a non response????? However this statement gives away the plan............................

The staff is tasked with developing a program for the personal and light commercial community. Approving the motion gives the staff and committee the latitude to make some decisions independent of council because time will be of the essence on many of the issues, both in writing the standards, creating programming functionality and infrastructure
It is all about the "personal and light commercial community"............................. or non AMA members that do not fly per AMA 550.

Last edited by bradpaul; 08-15-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:45 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul

Hardly, we have the meeting notes from HC and the response I received from Rich Hanson to "Ask AMA".

Reference in the meeting minutes? What a wonderful non answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the section from the October 19th EC Meeting:

And of course the July 19th Minutes will not be published buntil they are approved at the next EC Meeting, October 11, 2014

Do they really think we are such fools to accept such a non response????? However this statement gives away the plan............................

It is all about the "personal and light commercial community"............................. or non AMA members that do not fly per AMA 550.
"light commercial community"? Isn't that like being just a little bit pregnant?

I think that they are playing with fire and we will get burnt.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:10 AM
phlpsfrnk

I've seen this term and I have to wonder what is "light commercial" as opposed to just "commercial"? Under 6 lbs? Should the AMA, a not for profit organization, be supporting anything "commercial"? light or otherwise. Another term I have issue with is "purposeful use". Does this mean other than recreational use? If so then by the terms of P.L. 112-95 it is no longer a "model aircraft" and as a CBO for model aircraft has nothing to do with the AMA.

Regards
Frank

Last edited by phlpsfrnk; 08-15-2014 at 07:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-15-2014, 06:18 AM
bradpaul

"commercial" with any adjective in front of it cannot be "recreational".. What is a bigger question is what is the "personal community"?
Old 08-15-2014, 06:58 AM
phlpsfrnk

"commercial" with any adjective in front of it cannot be "recreational".. What is a bigger question is what is the "personal community"?
I agree, and what is it that the AMA hopes to accomplish with the continuing expense of the small UAS program that essentially has nothing to do with “model aircraft”. I don’t think the small increased membership the AMA might gain from the FPV/UAS/Drone community justifies the money being spent. The AMA spent considerable money lobbying congress for P.L. 112-95 section 336 and now it appears they wish to spend more money butting heads with the FAA and going against the P.L. they lobbied for. It appears to me that the current AMA administration is working at cross purposes and I would like to know why?

Regards
Frank

Old 08-15-2014, 07:26 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
It appears to me that the current AMA administration is working at cross purposes and I would like to know why?

Regards
Frank

There was a fellow here that pointed out, years ago, that AMA has become self-aware and its agenda is now only about feeding its own existence, growth and control instead of just simply promoting the hobby...every sentence it utters and every policy made is now constructed to further that very agenda...of growth and control.

it's alive...it's alive...and we built it...It will need a recharge soon... Naming it, the AMA, the the only NCBO will be a very great boost that will take decades to fade but in interim it will consume much. Funny, people generally learn that what they ask for isn't really what they wanted after all...but usually way to late then to do much about it.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:39 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Haven't heard from my D-VIII VP yet. It has been 5 business days since I Emailed him. I'm a bit disappointed in this lack of a response.

CR
Old 08-15-2014, 07:47 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by Charley
Haven't heard from my D-VIII VP yet. It has been 5 business days since I Emailed him. I'm a bit disappointed in this lack of a response.

CR
We should learn to be happy and just eat our Ramen noodles every night... I know, I know...a little cake would be nice sometimes but that might be a little much to ask.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:16 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
There was a fellow here that pointed out, years ago, that AMA has become self-aware and its agenda is now only about feeding its own existence, growth and control instead of just simply promoting the hobby...every sentence it utters and every policy made is now constructed to further that very agenda...of growth and control.
So then has their mission statement changed to follow the above agenda? I suppose not as it is rare that an org will change its primary mission even they they tend to forget what that mission was and usually quit following it a short time down the road. Most orgs make the claim, "In order to grow we have to do this or that" - guess that means sorry about our original mission we are no longer accountable for that.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:37 AM
rcmiket

CR
At least D8 voted against it. I also emailed him about this and received a quick response. He did mention he was on vacation,
Mike
Old 08-18-2014, 09:02 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might want to revisit the daily dose of Ramen!

http://www.ajc.com/news/lifestyles/h...killing/ng3cG/
Old 08-18-2014, 09:11 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by porcia83
Might want to revisit the daily dose of Ramen!

http://www.ajc.com/news/lifestyles/h...killing/ng3cG/
Well, if the trend continues we will all be eating rice soon...but for now we've got to keep supporting the insurance companies!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:23 AM
eddieC

I just posted a new thread on the AMA and FAA jointly sponsoring a drone demo at a full-scale airshow:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club...l#post11862854

What exactly is the AMA's intent regarding drones? Why aren't they explaining the long-term plans and goals, and providing transparency on the process? Instead, they bury the allocation of $250,000.00 of our funds in the closing minutes of a couple of meetings. This is very troubling, and Mr. Hanson and the rest of the council need to step up and explain themselves.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:20 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by eddieC
I just posted a new thread on the AMA and FAA jointly sponsoring a drone demo at a full-scale airshow:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club...l#post11862854

What exactly is the AMA's intent regarding drones? Why aren't they explaining the long-term plans and goals, and providing transparency on the process? Instead, they bury the allocation of $250,000.00 of our funds in the closing minutes of a couple of meetings. This is very troubling, and Mr. Hanson and the rest of the council need to step up and explain themselves.
See post #85 above, including the cited post. Head count of paying members appears to be the primary objective, far ahead of whatever goal is in second place.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Charley

Originally Posted by rcmiket
At least D8 voted against it. I also emailed him about this and received a quick response. He did mention he was on vacation,
Mike
Oh, when was this? What did Armstrong tell you? Did you send your Email through AMA HQ?

CR

Last edited by Charley; 08-18-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:26 PM
eddieC

My query to Mr. Hanson, and his response:

"Hi Ed,

In a recent survey it was found that upwards of 30% of existing AMA members are either currently involved in or have some interest in automated (UAS) flight technology, and there is a growing community of personal/purposeful users of this technology. This new aeromodeling community is currently operating without the programing necessary to educate them and to assist them in learning how to use this technology in a safe and responsible manner. And, unfortunately, the lack of a safe structure for this aspect of the hobby is resulting in a growing number of incidences that have resulted in adverse exposure in the media, exposure that is reflecting poorly on the entire aeromodeling community.

The funding authorized by the AMA Executive Council will be used to develop the programing necessary to educate, manage and reach out to this community of personal/purposeful operators.

Rich Hanson

AMA Government and Regulatory Affairs

Sent:*Monday, August 18, 2014 10:44 AM
To:*[email protected]
Subject:*AMA and Drones/sUAS

Rich,

I'm troubled by the recent allocation of $250,000.00 of member funds for drone/sUAS projects. A recent thread on RC Universe outlines some of the unease expressed by myself and other AMA members:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...0-000-fpv.html

What exactly are the funds for? What intent does the AMA have regarding sUAS/sUAV? How are drones even associated with the AMA, especially 'light commercial' (what is THAT?)?

IMO, the AMA has no business associating with any commercial venture. Ours is a hobbyist organization, and should remain so. Especially troubling in this allocation is how it may positively affect an AMA board member who has business interests in the sUAS area, and its appearance of cronyism.

Ed Chmielewski"

When has the AMA ever targeted one group with a Quarter-Million Dollar war chest? Let those who work in the UAV industry form their own CBO! The political doublespeak is nauseating.

AMA, STOP THE DRONE SPENDING NOW!
Old 08-19-2014, 02:19 AM
Charley

eddiec,

Looks like what the AMA wants is a way to bring a significant number of FPV users into the AMA. So they're looking for a way to make the AMA attractive to the unaligned FPV community, including the manufacturers.

CR
Old 08-19-2014, 04:28 AM
rcmiket

Oh, when was this? What did Armstrong tell you? Did you send your Email through AMA HQ?

CR
Late last week. He did confirm that D8 along with 5 other districts voted against it. As far as how I contacted him, I just used the AMA sites district contact page. He did mention that he was on vacation.

http://www.ama-dist-8.org/

Mike
Old 08-19-2014, 04:55 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by eddieC
My query to Mr. Hanson, and his response:

"Hi Ed,

In a recent survey it was found that upwards of 30% of existing AMA members are either currently involved in or have some interest in automated (UAS) flight technology, and there is a growing community of personal/purposeful users of this technology. This new aeromodeling community is currently operating without the programing necessary to educate them and to assist them in learning how to use this technology in a safe and responsible manner. And, unfortunately, the lack of a safe structure for this aspect of the hobby is resulting in a growing number of incidences that have resulted in adverse exposure in the media, exposure that is reflecting poorly on the entire aeromodeling community.
I notice the convenient omission of a response to your reference to the commercial aspect that you specifically inquired about.

Dennis
Old 08-19-2014, 02:53 PM
eddieC

I notice the convenient omission of a response to your reference to the commercial aspect that you specifically inquired about.
Thanks for noticing, Dennis. I wish he, in his position as Director, PR & Gov't Affairs, would display a similar focus. I'll attempt to demonstrate what I mean by 'focus', (Rich, pay attention):

1. He sidestepped the question about where the money is going IMO.
The funding authorized by the AMA Executive Council will be used to develop the programing necessary to educate, manage and reach out to this community of personal/purposeful operators.
Is this for one person or a group to travel, print and place flyers in an ever-dwindling group of hobby shops, put together multimedia programs for colleges, industry, government and municipalities, or who-knows-what?

2. How are drones even relevant to our hobbyist organization, beyond sharing frequencies? No Answer.

3. What is 'light commercial'? No Answer.

4. The cronyism question of a council member? No Answer.

Lest anyone think I'm anti-drone, nothing could be further from the truth. As a corporate pilot, I've dealt with the FAA for 30+ years. I've done R&D flying (unpaid) for a local firm doing UAS prototype research. And I'm pro-AMA. I fully agree with littlecrankshaf, Charley, bradpaul and everyone else who at least questions, if not opposes, this spending, and the path the EC is directing.

Maybe it's not too silly to investigate an alternative CBO ala Sport Flyers Association.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:52 PM
Charley

I heard from my AMA D-VIII VP today. He says, in part, that he would rather see the $250K spent on a vigorous ad campaign to counteract the media reports of "drone" accidents by pointing out that the perpetrators of the incidences are not responsible, safety conscious modelers, such as AMA & its club members, but are non-aligned & irresponsible individuals.

I tend to agree with him. Comments?

CR
Old 08-20-2014, 03:11 PM
cj_rumley

I heard from my AMA D-VIII VP today. He says, in part, that he would rather see the $250K spent on a vigorous ad campaign to counteract the media reports of "drone" accidents by pointing out that the perpetrators of the incidences are not responsible, safety conscious modelers, such as AMA & its club members, but are non-aligned & irresponsible individuals.

I tend to agree with him. Comments?

CR
I agree. AMA should give the boot to all AMA members that are not club members.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:16 PM
AlW
My Feedback: (17)

Ama needs to agree with the faa and give the boot to fpv instead of poking the faa in the eye with a sharp stick.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:28 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I agree. AMA should give the boot to all AMA members that are not club members.
It would be wrong for the AMA to require their members to belong to a club. However I would bet that 90% of the AMA members to belong to a club.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.