Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 01:00 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Yup, but I'm starting to wonder IF they will catch them. How many years, what at least two now, and how many sightings, and not one capture (airplane sighting wise). But yes, if/when they get them they need to make examples of them.
Part of the problem is the US Senate Republicans. I am a Republican and this is not a political comment - it is a statement of fact. The US House finally passed an FAA appropriation bill this summer. It is a 6 year bill but only 3 years are funded. It also funds new several FAA programs. The Senate, however, only wants to continue the string of 34 (count that 34) 3 month continuing resolutions. These do not new programs but do include sending their home states money. I will not give my opinion on why these Senators would prefer to send their states money every three months rather that a full 6 years appropriation because that would be political and I do not want this to be political comment.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:09 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PORK....it's what's for dinner. Non political!
Old 08-22-2015, 07:17 PM
N410DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
You got that right. Most hobby drones sold today already have the line-of-sight and 400 ft altitude protections built in. These clowns just disable them so disabling a RFID tag will be no problem. The solution to detection is to look for transmissions on the video frequencies these clowns are using. Two detectors near an airport can home on in on the UAV and send the info to the police. The police can then vector a helicopter to the location to continue tracking. Knowing what frequency they are broadcasting video on will also allow that video to be jammed. forcing a return to home.
Tracking the transmitter's signal is an interesting idea. Direction finding equipment can be used to track the source of a transmission, and RC transmitters are continuously transmitting whenever they are powered up. However, I wonder how difficult it would be to track a 2.4GHz source, with the countless number of 2.4GHz signals that are continuously bombarding every cubic inch of the atmosphere. I don't have enough knowledge to determine if judge whether or not DF equipment could accurately determine which RF signal is coming from the RC transmitter. To complicate things, some long range systems use the 70cm band (approx. 400+ MHz). Would these signals be easier to trace than 2.4GHz signals?

Jamming the video down link may be more doable, since this equipment generally uses a limited number of 5.8GHz, 900MHz, and 1.2GHz frequencies.These bands are far less crowded, which may make it easier. Keep in mind, however, that one cold not track the base station (e.g. the FPV monitor or goggles,) since the transmitting is originating from the done, not the ground. If the pilot activated the "return to home" mode when after loosing video, authorities could theoretically follow the drone.

Last edited by N410DC; 08-22-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nor...urs/ar-BBm12YH
Old 08-24-2015, 05:36 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Now these are DRONES Not febal little Quads. These sUAV's are really designed and operated for the good of Mankind.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:55 AM
porcia83
Banned

now now...some of those feeble little quads can be used for the good of humankind too....
Old 08-24-2015, 12:13 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

now now...some of those feeble little quads can be used for the good of humankind too....
Now now Porcia, remember, it's not the feeble little quads that are the problem,remember, it's the idiots that fly them violating flight rules, maybe on purpose?
Old 08-24-2015, 12:38 PM
porcia83
Banned

Did you miss the context of the two prior posts before yours? Many things that are can be used for good can be used in the alternative is well.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:57 PM
FLAPHappy

Did you miss the context of the two prior posts before yours? Many things that are can be used for good can be used in the alternative is well.
Yes I read them. My point is drones are not the problem, the real major problem is some people use them in them in a way that creates problems for airline pilots as well as full scale pilots,Military and Law enforcement . I am now referring to the Quad Copters in general.

North Dakota is authorized to operate drones for specific data, not recreational use, as I read.
That's OK, but idiots that fly in the approach decent zone or take off altitude zone within 5 miles of an active airport with these quad copters, are the problem. I don't know how else to explain my position any more clear.

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 08-24-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:56 PM
porcia83
Banned

Your position was clear, and it's the same position most have taken as well, that it's the person, not the machine. I agree as well, got it.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:57 PM
FLAPHappy

Your position was clear, and it's the same position most have taken as well, that it's the person, not the machine. I agree as well, got it.
Ok then. Now my question to people that are concerned about this, "What can we do to help preserve our hobby before this problem results in a major Accident",?
Accidents are Preventable, " IF" you have the knowledge" on how to prevent it from happening in the first place..
Then standing without proper support from the AMA or the FAA, how do we get something done? Is it possible?

This hobby will be in Harms Way if something is not done to preserve it. If these clowns continue the antics they perform today, we will be in Deep Trouble.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:56 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

100% agree, deep trouble!
Old 08-25-2015, 04:59 PM
hairy46

All these drone adds on this thread, sickening!
Old 08-25-2015, 07:14 PM
Duncman

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Ok then. Now my question to people that are concerned about this, "What can we do to help preserve our hobby before this problem results in a major Accident",?
Accidents are Preventable, " IF" you have the knowledge" on how to prevent it from happening in the first place..
Then standing without proper support from the AMA or the FAA, how do we get something done? Is it possible?

This hobby will be in Harms Way if something is not done to preserve it. If these clowns continue the antics they perform today, we will be in Deep Trouble.
There are 98 pages of suggestions on this, do we really need to hash this all over again?
Old 08-26-2015, 03:31 AM
porcia83
Banned

Nope...if for no other reason that nothing that is written here will make a difference. Won't stop the doom and gloom predictions though about the hobby, or the AMA, or FAA for that matter. It is what it is. Keep flying safe and have fun, works for me.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:30 AM
Duncman

At my age that is all that is important, fish safe, fly safe, have fun.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

IMO there will be no major accident. There may be a midair with a quad, but it will most likely result in a small dent or ding on the aircraft. Not saying it is not possible, just that it isn't likely.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:14 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
IMO there will be no major accident. There may be a midair with a quad, but it will most likely result in a small dent or ding on the aircraft. Not saying it is not possible, just that it isn't likely.
I doubt a quad will bring down a aircraft but almost any contact could cause a expensive repair and that IMO will be a major problem. I heard on TV the other day that fire department officials are worried about a drone taking out the tail rotor on a water dropping helicopter which
would bring down the copter.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:19 AM
[email protected]

everyone talks about drones so why dont you all get togethe and do something about them talk dont help action does
Old 08-26-2015, 11:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

I doubt a quad will bring down a aircraft but almost any contact could cause a expensive repair and that IMO will be a major problem.
The airliner will not be happy, but the public won't care and it will be a non event.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:20 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by ira d
I doubt a quad will bring down a aircraft but almost any contact could cause a expensive repair and that IMO will be a major problem. I heard on TV the other day that fire department officials are worried about a drone taking out the tail rotor on a water dropping helicopter which

I know a small bird will fly though a tail rotor without crashing the helicopter, not sure about a larger bird, but I suspect only the larger quads would do significant damage to the tail rotor. Fairly small target though.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:15 PM
rgburrill

Originally Posted by N410DC
Tracking the transmitter's signal is an interesting idea. Direction finding equipment can be used to track the source of a transmission, and RC transmitters are continuously transmitting whenever they are powered up. However, I wonder how difficult it would be to track a 2.4GHz source, with the countless number of 2.4GHz signals that are continuously bombarding every cubic inch of the atmosphere. I don't have enough knowledge to determine if judge whether or not DF equipment could accurately determine which RF signal is coming from the RC transmitter. To complicate things, some long range systems use the 70cm band (approx. 400+ MHz). Would these signals be easier to trace than 2.4GHz signals?

Jamming the video down link may be more doable, since this equipment generally uses a limited number of 5.8GHz, 900MHz, and 1.2GHz frequencies.These bands are far less crowded, which may make it easier. Keep in mind, however, that one cold not track the base station (e.g. the FPV monitor or goggles,) since the transmitting is originating from the done, not the ground. If the pilot activated the "return to home" mode when after loosing video, authorities could theoretically follow the drone.
Bingo. And yes, I was thinking jam the video frequency, not the 2.4GHz. If the police heli gets close enogh a low power jammer is all that is needed.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:25 PM
rgburrill

Originally Posted by ira d
I was looking at the FAA list of UAV issues for this year yesterday and saw that a few months ago there was likely a strike with a small, single engine aircraft. The pilot did not see anything but felt a jolt and then some vibration. When he landed he saw that two of his three prop blades were damaged and he had two gouges in the nose of his aircraft. The two gouges were about 15 inches apart, about 3 inches long and went through the gelcoat. He also saw no other markigs or blood spots. Sounds like spinning rotors to me. I amagine the owner of the "UAV", or "UFO" if you like, lost a few bucks that day.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:40 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
everyone talks about drones so why dont you all get togethe and do something about them talk dont help action does
Why don't you tell us what you think should be done because it does no good to keep suggesting that we do something if you don't have a clue to what that something should be.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:25 PM
FLAPHappy

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The airliner will not be happy, but the public won't care and it will be a non event.
Sport: The flight Crew and public flying on that Airliner WILL care, and they will be very concerned for sure . It will be an event, I hope it never happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.