Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:28 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Many of the folks here whose ideas or questions you've mocked are AMA members. It appears that your pledge to the AMA that you would "Conduct [your]self as befits a Leader" means little.

I don't see anything that says as a Leader Member that you get to pick and choose when to follow the pledge and when not to follow it. I would argue that if you didn't think you could ALWAYS live up to those high ideals, perhaps you shouldn't have made the pledge.

You forgot the unspoken second part of that sentence, the part that reads ".... but only if you do it in a way that I approve."

As said once already, any attempt to have a discussion of the culture was filibustered. My aviation safety training and experience investigating unit culture in the wake of a mishap tells me that the culture is failed. A group that is not even willing to consider that they aren't as good as they say they are is a culture that generally will not change until there's a disaster.

We've had this discussion before, but I'll repeat it for you. It's a question of time and facilities. I'm not going to plow thousands of dollars getting into turbines when I'm limited to only those designs that can handle rough grass fields - which is all that's available in the distance that's reasonable given the time and schedule limits on my hobby flying. If there were better facilities close by, absolutely. I've flown turbine powered developmental drones when on active duty, and they're really not difficult. But again, my interest is on designs that won't handle rough grass fields well.
And it's not "self decribed" background. I'm happy to present redacted copies of records. In fact, have already done so in other forums.

Groups (and companies in my experience) that don't effectively use the talent they have tend to run into problems. Again, I approached AMA leadership a year ago to try and get out in front of this safety culture problem among waiver holders. And yes, they wanted nothing to do with it. Now they're a year down the road and it appears the problem has gotten bad enough they can no longer pretend it doesn't exist. Of course it will be that much more difficult to fix now. what I've seen proposed is more of the same. Typically more of what got you into the problem in the first place doesn't make it better. But then again, what do I know about aviation safety and operations, safety culture, operational risk management, etc.?

Just like the above comment, you forgot the unspoken second part. The part that reads ".... but only if you do it in a way that I approve."

Wow. It wasn't more than a couple weeks ago that you offered to nominate me for AMA President. I haven't changed in the interim, all those years of posts that you lament were there then, as they are now. And yet you won't recommend me for the lower level position of Leader Member?
So how could anyone look at that and not see that your Presidential nomination offer as disingenuous. Either you were deliberately misleading a fellow AMA member (saying you'd nominate when you really wouldn't), or you were hoping I'd accept with the hopes I'd lose so you could riducle me like you've ridiculed other fellow AMA members (like Hossfly).

You made a pledge to the AMA to conduct yourself in a way that "befits a leader." That pledge was not limited to only those situations where "you feel like it," nor was it limited to only when people do things they way you want them done. It seems to me the clear AMA's intent is that you act in a way "befits a leader" at all times, not just when it's easy, but also when it's difficult. I see lots of the former, not much of the latter. Others can form their own opinion.

In an interview just this morning, a prominent commentator was asked "Why, if you're a supporter, do you criticize so much?" The response was quite good. The individual said "Those I care about the most get the most criticizm for the simple reason that I want them to be the very best that they can be. Those I don't care about are not worth my time to criticize."
By all means, keep doubling down. Make me the focal point of your inability to be heard and recognized by the AMA. Distract from the myriad of other issues you've brought up in your decades long investigative quest of the AMA, the most recent being the tax issue. That all resolved now? Is me being a Leader Member the focal point of your discontent now? I have what I have, you go get what you want, leave me out of it. I've noted previously that you need to rethink how you've been going at this now, by your own comments it's been almost completely unsuccessful. Is this now my fault or problem? I'm suddenly responsible for this? If you want to put that all off on me, I can't stop you, but it's a dishonest. I have no more ability to make things happen for you that anyone else here. This is all on you, own it and accept it. I've given you the map to success, are you going to follow it, or keep projecting your issues on me?

Stop wasting time here that won't further your alleged desire to be a LM. Go do something productive, like fill out the application and get your signatures, or just appeal directly to your DVP. Why are you here arguing with me? Are you that upset I won't sign for you? If you want to really discuss further take it to PM or e-mails.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:31 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Any one here rushing down to the nearest FBO flight school and Plunking down $150 Clams to take the Part 107 Knowledge test just because they want to add another rating to their Pilot certificate.

Last edited by HoundDog; 08-31-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:40 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Any one here rushing down to the nearest FBO flight school and Plunking down $150 Clams to take the Part 107 Knowledge just because they want to add another rating to their Pilot certificate.
Yep. I'm going to schedule a test after my next business trip.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:40 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Any one here rushing down to the nearest FBO flight school and Plunking down $150 Clams to take the Part 107 Knowledge just because they want to add another rating to their Pilot certificate.
If the complaints about the AMA dues increase after 13 years is any indication....I'd have to guess...um, no.

For those folks looking to make a legit living off this, they can now do so without the fear and concern the had previously. Buckle up, it's going to be a wild ride. Advances in technology, capitalism, and innovation always make for interesting times. The law doesn't always move as fast.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:44 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
By all means, keep doubling down. Make me the focal point of your inability to be heard and recognized by the AMA. Distract from the myriad of other issues you've brought up in your decades long investigative quest of the AMA, the most recent being the tax issue. That all resolved now? Is me being a Leader Member the focal point of your discontent now? I have what I have, you go get what you want, leave me out of it. I've noted previously that you need to rethink how you've been going at this now, by your own comments it's been almost completely unsuccessful. Is this now my fault or problem? I'm suddenly responsible for this? If you want to put that all off on me, I can't stop you, but it's a dishonest. I have no more ability to make things happen for you that anyone else here. This is all on you, own it and accept it. I've given you the map to success, are you going to follow it, or keep projecting your issues on me?

Stop wasting time here that won't further your alleged desire to be a LM. Go do something productive, like fill out the application and get your signatures, or just appeal directly to your DVP. Why are you here arguing with me? Are you that upset I won't sign for you? If you want to really discuss further take it to PM or e-mails.

You made a pledge to the AMA to behave in a certain way. If you can't stop from mocking or belittling other AMA members for their opinions, exactly how can we trust that you'd follow other AMA guidelines that you agreed to follow?
Old 08-31-2016, 09:55 AM
franklin_m

If the complaints about the AMA dues increase after 13 years is any indication....I'd have to guess...um, no.

For those folks looking to make a legit living off this, they can now do so without the fear and concern the had previously. Buckle up, it's going to be a wild ride. Advances in technology, capitalism, and innovation always make for interesting times. The law doesn't always move as fast.
For me, it's an investment. Long term, I don't see the FAA allowing people who've actually had to pass tests to fly having a smaller operational envelope than recreational fliers. I predict they'll eventually allow 107 to go beyond 100 mph and routinely above 400 feet. Regardless, in the interim, I don't fly above that or faster than that now anyway. At that point, the cost is the same as AMA and you get the added benefit of being able to fly for money.

Win - win!
Old 08-31-2016, 10:06 AM
HoundDog

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"]

What used to be the stuff of science fiction stories is now fact!

[TABLE="class: yiv1573968740MsoNormalTable, width: 734"]
[TR]
[TD]
This Is Not A Mosquito!! Look closely. Incredible!
Have you ever wished you could be a fly on the wall to spy on what's going on or being said?
How about being a mosquito instead!
No, this isn't a real mosquito. It's an insect spy drone for urban areas, already
In production, funded by the US Government.
It can be remotely controlled and is equipped with a camera and a microphone.
It can land on you, and even has the potential to take a DNA sample or leave
RFID tracking nanotechnology on your skin.
It can fly through a slightly open window, or it can attach to your clothing until you
Unwittingly take it into your home. It can then be guided to the top of a curtain or other
Invisible location where it can scope entire rooms and monitor everything being said.
Given their propensity to request macro-sized drones for surveillance, one is left with
Little doubt that the government has big plans for these micro gadgets.
(And to think we were worried about West Nile virus!)

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Old 08-31-2016, 10:16 AM
porcia83
Banned

You made a pledge to the AMA to behave in a certain way. If you can't stop from mocking or belittling other AMA members for their opinions, exactly how can we trust that you'd follow other AMA guidelines that you agreed to follow?
For me, it's an investment. Long term, I don't see the FAA allowing people who've actually had to pass tests to fly having a smaller operational envelope than recreational fliers. I predict they'll eventually allow 107 to go beyond 100 mph and routinely above 400 feet. Regardless, in the interim, I don't fly above that or faster than that now anyway. At that point, the cost is the same as AMA and you get the added benefit of being able to fly for money.

Win - win!
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/l...pplication.pdf

Fill it out. You asked for help, I gave it. Do it, or don't.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:54 AM
franklin_m

Fill it out. You asked for help, I gave it. Do it, or don't.
Where do you think I found the pledge? The fact that you send me a link after the fact still does not negate that you took a pledge to act in a way that "befits a leader." You mock and ridicule other AMA members simply because they don't agree with your opinion of the organization, or they ask questions about finances, or they don't devote the time to it that you do, or have different priorities, or don't value "benefits" like you do, or "don't like the magazine," etc.

I guess that pledge was just words.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:22 AM
Sport_Pilot

Win - win!
They have already issued waivers.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:05 PM
porcia83
Banned

Where do you think I found the pledge? The fact that you send me a link after the fact still does not negate that you took a pledge to act in a way that "befits a leader." You mock and ridicule other AMA members simply because they don't agree with your opinion of the organization, or they ask questions about finances, or they don't devote the time to it that you do, or have different priorities, or don't value "benefits" like you do, or "don't like the magazine," etc.

All pledges are words. Update the thread when you fill it out and submit it.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:35 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Mum made sure we understood about "empty" words and those that speak them when we were very young Franklin.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:51 PM
porcia83
Banned

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-amazon-delivery/

Closer and closer, inch by inch, closing that gap between hitting the "pay" button online, and having the doorbell ring. It starts with a 767, and could end with a much smaller item delivering our goods.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:46 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woke up this morning to a email from the "World Drone Academy" about studying for the Part 107 exam. Wonder where they got my email...........................

Mike
Old 09-01-2016, 05:55 AM
porcia83
Banned

Must be an exclusive invite only, like Plane Jims new AMA alternative. Consider yourself a chosen one, I guess the rest of us are unwashed masses?
Old 09-01-2016, 06:05 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

I didn't get one. I wonder why? Lol
Old 09-01-2016, 06:12 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mike1974
Nor did I...clearly a selective process.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:32 AM
rcmiket

Just lucky I guess.

Mike
Old 09-01-2016, 02:38 PM
mike1974

Maybe. I'm guessing it was pushed out with info collected from the FAA registration.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:43 PM
rcmiket

Maybe. I'm guessing it was pushed out with info collected from the FAA registration.
According to the sites Privacy Policy they don't but you know how that goes they may be been hacked by the Russians.

Mike.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:49 PM
mike1974

Lol. I couldn't remember if you registered and I know I have not. I thought maybe that was the difference, but who knows.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:00 PM
rcmiket

Lol. I couldn't remember if you registered and I know I have not. I thought maybe that was the difference, but who knows.
You got that right.

Mike
Old 09-02-2016, 04:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f0a_1472691611

And the crowd goes wild!
Old 09-02-2016, 05:52 PM
HoundDog

what happens when drones get Artificial Intelligence and attack when threatened,
Old 09-02-2016, 09:07 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

we die

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.