Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 06:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fliers1
The main idea is to try to find a means to identify the culprit who may be essentially endangering the entire hobby/sport of RC aeromodeling. Like license plates on autos and whatever is used to identify full scale aircraft, GPS could be used in quad copters, so why not have GPS software that also transmits the registered owner of the quad copter? It wouldn't matter of it's altitude, it would still possible to be able to identity it's owner. Maybe someone already has such software.

Once the offender is identified, arrested and fined, it should deter anyone else from doing something stupid. It appears that our hobby/sport in general is in trouble especially if a full size aircraft sucks up any size drone, whether it causes a crash or not.
Transponders don't have enough codes to have an individual code. The tower tells you to display a specific code. Till you do that there is only a generic code displayed. So that would not work anyway, let alone that it would be too low and weak to pick up.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Actually, all it would take is one code hard programmed into the transponder saying that it's an R/C, no more or less. There are a couple of things that must be remembered in using this type of set up:
1) The R/C receivers are already coming equipped with transmitters in them(i.e. Futaba 4PLS's telemetry system) so no major modification would be needed other than to increase the transmitting power to cover the 5 mile restriction and install the transponder circuit itself.
2) Radar signals are line of site so, if the drone is inside the 5 mile radius, it would still have to be high enough to be picked up by the radar receiver to be considered a threat, therefore further away means higher up. While the drone may be too small for an exact radar fix, it would be able to give a general compass heading to the drone for law enforcement to focus on
3) IF a drone was picked up by a radar, a simple RDF unit could be utilized to find the source. Since transponders use only one or two frequencies, the RDF unit could be set to scan for just those frequencies, making it much easier to find the offender as long as the drone's radio remains on.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 10-11-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Sport_Pilot

Come on do we really want the expense of installing transponders on our models? Cause that is what that would eventually come to.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:15 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a pretty good sized group of MR commercial operators who feel strongly that all hobby aircraft should be subject to both FAA registration and pilot examination requirements. Watching the recent congressional testimony seems to indicate that some in Congress may feel the same!!
Old 10-12-2015, 05:36 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
There's a pretty good sized group of MR commercial operators who feel strongly that all hobby aircraft should be subject to both FAA registration and pilot examination requirements. Watching the recent congressional testimony seems to indicate that some in Congress may feel the same!!
Yup, there are are, and it doesn't take long to figure out why. They want to make it as hard as possible due to competition. As for the congress, most know better and know the difference, but it doesn't hurt to have the AMA helping them understand the finer points. Those hearings are held in very small part as fact finding endeavors, more likely for political posturing and points!
Old 10-12-2015, 06:57 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That's a self defeating attitude on the MR folk's part.
That is similar to the NRA getting bent out of shape about some new regulation and then pushing to have the same requirements applied to BB gun sales.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:04 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Come on do we really want the expense of installing transponders on our models? Cause that is what that would eventually come to.
If the transponder is already in the receiver, where is the expense? When a receiver fails and you replace it, if everything is done per the possible FAA/FCC/AMA rules, the new receiver should come with a transponder pre-installed. I don't see a need for our aircraft to have to have an add on component since this would probably be implemented over time anyway. As far as quads go, however, they need to have them added ASAP so that the idiots that think they can fly anywhere can be brought to justice
Old 10-13-2015, 06:19 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can somebody spell out what the MR stands for in "MR commercial operators"? Thanks.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:23 AM
porcia83
Banned

Multi-Rotor. There are 3 bladers, 5 bladers, and onwards!
Old 10-13-2015, 07:19 AM
Sport_Pilot

So if the receiver now costs $50 then it may cost as much as $2000 with a built in transponder.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catego...nsponders.html
Old 10-13-2015, 07:51 AM
Sport_Pilot

Come to think of it I don't think you can build the transponder inside the receiver. The transponder signal would completely swamp the receiver causing loss of control. The same may even be true if it is a separate device located on opposite ends of the model.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:52 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Come to think of it I don't think you can build the transponder inside the receiver. The transponder signal would completely swamp the receiver causing loss of control. The same may even be true if it is a separate device located on opposite ends of the model.
If what you mean is transmitter instead of transponder that problem was solved many. many years ago by blanking the receiver when the transmitter transmits.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:56 AM
rgburrill

Very true. The solution most looked at is a smaller version of ADS-B where the unit transmits its location when queried. And the prototypes are already in process for the commercial operators. I hope to see this required for any RC aircraft that has a video transmitter on board.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:28 AM
fliers1

I don't know if this would mean anything, but many years ago, RCers with ham frequencies had to tap out their call sign on their transmitter before they flew their planes.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:05 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
If what you mean is transmitter instead of transponder that problem was solved many. many years ago by blanking the receiver when the transmitter transmits.
No he said transponder inside of radio control receiver. I don't think that would work.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:13 PM
rgburrill

No he said transponder inside of radio control receiver. I don't think that would work.
Why wouldn't it work? It's just two radios in one circuit.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Why wouldn't it work? It's just two radios in one circuit.
With a receiver receiving a weak signal that must not be interrupted, and another that sends out a very strong signal pulse every few seconds, I don't think the receiver would work during each transponder pulse, so you would have erratic reception.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:11 AM
fliers1

So I guess that it's all but impossible to find a means for authorities to monitor all drones. Does that mean that once a quad copter gets sucks into a jet engine, propeller or helicopter blades won't endanger our hobby sport is nothing to worry about?
Old 10-14-2015, 04:18 AM
porcia83
Banned

So I guess that it's all but impossible to find a means for authorities to monitor all drones. Does that mean that once a quad copter gets sucks into a jet engine, propeller or helicopter blades won't endanger our hobby sport is nothing to worry about?
Ya, that's exactly what people are saying here.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

Does that mean that once a quad copter gets sucks into a jet engine, propeller or helicopter blades won't endanger our hobby sport is nothing to worry about?
I wouldn't say nothing to worry about. But certainly not to the extent that it is. I doubt the hobby sized quads would cause a jet engine to quit, nor cause a helicopter to come down. But the larger commercial ones could and I doubt all of those are operated legally.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:25 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't say nothing to worry about. But certainly not to the extent that it is. I doubt the hobby sized quads would cause a jet engine to quit, nor cause a helicopter to come down. But the larger commercial ones could and I doubt all of those are operated legally.
Food for thought.....

Does it really matter if it brings a full size aircraft down? ANY mid-air incidence between a drone and a manned, full scale aircraft is unacceptable in my opinion and we should take every measure to assure that it does not happen.

Astro
Old 10-14-2015, 06:28 AM
rgburrill

With a receiver receiving a weak signal that must not be interrupted, and another that sends out a very strong signal pulse every few seconds, I don't think the receiver would work during each transponder pulse, so you would have erratic reception.
Then how does the video transmitter get away with it? For that matter how does a transponder get away with it? Remember, it is just a receiver and a tansmitter.

Never mind, I'll answer it. RC transmissions are digital in nature - pulsed to be specific. These pulses are sent in a repeating frame. There is blanking time at the end of each frame which can be used by a transmitter in close proximity, and synced to, the receiver. To keep from swamping the receiver can be turned off (blanked) during this period. Furthermore, both the receiver and the transmitter output signals go through tight bandpass filters to limit sideband signal strength.

X and C-band transponders I was project engineer on operated for ranges of thousands of miles with an ultra-sensitive receiver and high power transmitter operating in the same unit and using the same antenna. Our little RC units only have to operate for a few miles so our video transmitters are pretty low powered. The ADS-B like transponders being looked at for incorporation with RC receivers also are only looking at a few miles so are fairly low-powered.

Last edited by rgburrill; 10-14-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:06 AM
rgburrill

The "authorities" don't want to monitor all drones, just those that are creating the problems. And there will always be ways to get around the monitoring systems just as there are still GPS jammers illegally operating in the US. What the "authorities" want to limit is the number of units illegally operating near airports causing a threat to manned aircraft. Forcing manufacturers to add an ADS-like transponder to commerical versions is one way to do it. Forcing the high-end FPV RC units to add them is another way. Putting special "drone" detectors near or on airport facilites is another way. They won't get them all but $2million fines can discourage a lot of people.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:22 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by astrohog
Food for thought.....

Does it really matter if it brings a full size aircraft down? ANY mid-air incidence between a drone and a manned, full scale aircraft is unacceptable in my opinion and we should take every measure to assure that it does not happen.

Astro
So we should equip our models with thousands of dollars of equipment to prevent the remote possibility of a mid air with full scale when it would likely only result in damage?
Old 10-14-2015, 08:29 AM
Sport_Pilot

Then how does the video transmitter get away with it?
Because they are a very weak signal compared to a transponder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.