Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 09:57 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FAA records detail hundreds of close calls between airplanes and drones - The

They're probably lying.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:28 AM
Sport_Pilot

They're probably lying.
That is what the AMA said, some found to be birds, some legal use of drones that controllers reported, etc. But they did not remove the bad reports which were probably over 90%. Most probably caught.

FAA empire building.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

RC transmissions are digital in nature - pulsed to be specific.
Actually not, it is an analog signal, not a pulse but a square wave. The digital part is how the square wave is coded and decoded. Unless there has been something changed in the full spectrum radio's I am not aware of. I don't think it matters anyway. It is a matter of how strong a signal the receiver filters can keep out.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:12 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
So we should equip our models with thousands of dollars of equipment to prevent the remote possibility of a mid air with full scale when it would likely only result in damage?
How in the world did you come up with that conclusion from what I wrote?

There are MANY possible solutions. Some are common sense based and some will likely be legislative in nature (like it or not).

You want to minimize the impact of a mid-air between a toy and a full-size, human carrying aircraft by saying, "it would likely only result in damage?". Hopefully you have considered ALL of the potential negative impacts a single incident of this nature will have on our hobby.

Regards,

Astro
Old 10-14-2015, 01:21 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog

There are MANY possible solutions. Some are common sense based and some will likely be legislative in nature (like it or not).

You want to minimize the impact of a mid-air between a toy and a full-size, human carrying aircraft by saying, "it would likely only result in damage?". Hopefully you have considered ALL of the potential negative impacts a single incident of this nature will have on our hobby.

Regards,

Astro

Astrohog: Sport is negative on anything involving the FAA, and I mean ANYTHING.
He's anti FAA, they are Power Grabbers, look at his past posts,,, the FAA is just looking for a way to control everything that fly's. That how this guy thinks!!!
Not one of his posts are postiive in helping to find a way to fix a problem or at least a suggestion, he just say's it BOGUS, and deny's aircraft Safety in respect to this thread or any other.
Just ignore him and hope he goes away.........but knowing him, he won't. Just keep making people angry with his attitude. That's his story.

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 10-14-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:51 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by astrohog

Regards,

Astro
The discussion had been about putting transponders in non commercial drones, which to me include model aircraft. I don't buy that there would be lots of negative press if there is a mid air with a full scale plane. Rather it will be like, Oh! That's all it did?
Old 10-14-2015, 11:48 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Why would it cost $2000 for a receiver? My 4PLS uses a $60 304SB receiver and it transmits telemetry back for display on an LCD on top of the transmitter.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Why would it cost $2000 for a receiver? My 4PLS uses a $60 304SB receiver and it transmits telemetry back for display on an LCD on top of the transmitter.
I am not referring to receivers. I said transponder. Aviation transponders cost about $2,000. Others said to combine a transponder and receiver, which would be very expensive.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:17 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I am not referring to receivers. I said transponder. Aviation transponders cost about $2,000. Others said to combine a transponder and receiver, which would be very expensive.
No one (but you) is suggesting puttng a full-blown aviation transponder on a model airplane. Geez, only a fool would think that. But small, inexpensive transponders can and are being made Hydro Junkie's $60 receiver/transmitter only needs some software to make if ADS-like. As I've said over and over a transponder is nothing more than a receiver and transmitter. Maybe I should have added and some controlling circuitry/software for those who can't understand the concept.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:26 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
No one (but you) is suggesting puttng a full-blown aviation transponder on a model airplane. Geez, only a fool would think that. But small, inexpensive transponders can and are being made Hydro Junkie's $60 receiver/transmitter only needs some software to make if ADS-like. As I've said over and over a transponder is nothing more than a receiver and transmitter. Maybe I should have added and some controlling circuitry/software for those who can't understand the concept.
Sorry but this started with transponders used to make the drones show up on ATC radar. Hydro Junkies receiver does not have a transponder, not the right frequency and not enough power. Aviation transponders are microwave transmission at or near the same frequency as Radar. So what you are calling a transponder is not what I call a transponder. IMO it does not matter when the FAA makes it mandatory the FCC comes up with parameters and the word AVIATION is stamped on it, it will be expensive. Several designations make normal stuff cost big bucks, they are Aviation, Marine, Fire, Racing, and Security. Maybe a few more.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:49 AM
Hydro Junkie

Sportpilot, 2.4 GHz is right in the middle of the "S" radar band. "S" band radars are used for weather, moderate-range surveillance and terminal traffic control. This means that a standard airport radar could pick up a 2.4 GHz transponder signal from one of our receivers with very little modification to the receiver. Cost would be negligible since some receivers are already transmitting anyway
Old 10-15-2015, 07:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

Cost would be negligible since some receivers are already transmitting anyway
Ok this time I looked this up. Mode S is 1030 Mhz, or 1.3 GHz. That is way different than 2.4 Ghz But, I admit that I forgot we were now transmitting at such high frequency (geez above the space band!). But I don't think it will be the frequency but the power that is the issue. Besides even if I am wrong, nothing is cheap in aviation. Even hand held transceivers cost more than equivalent ground based radios. And $2,000 aviation transponders would likely cost $200 if they were for civilian use.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:42 AM
fliers1

So far, we've been so lucky. Lucky that a drone (quad copter) hasn't hit a full size aircraft. But when, (not if) it happens, we will quickly find out what the government will do. Everyone can be reasonably certain that it won't be good for our hobby/sport.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:28 AM
Sport_Pilot

Everyone can be reasonably certain that it won't be good for our hobby/sport.
Not everyone. I for one don't think it will be bad. We need to hold our ground now. Not give in to expensive measures that would be even more likely to kill our hobby.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:09 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So if our cell phones can be tracked by the GPS in them and they don't cost gazillions of dollars then why not drones? Some of the quads available now have built in limitations allowing no more than 400ft in elv and 1000 ft in distance. I for one would not want to be flying in a small airplane or even an ultralight and be hit by a quad or conventional rc plane of any size. If a soft body bird can cause damage then what can 2-3 lb of model do to an aircraft traveling at 70-150 mph ? To say we should not worry at all is just plain ignorant. I just went before my local township board seeking permission to establish a flying field on public property and you can believe there is a real concern about drones and the issues they are creating. I am not against them but they need to be address by the ones who stand to lose the most when the law comes down.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:39 AM
rgburrill

Ok this time I looked this up. Mode S is 1030 Mhz, or 1.3 GHz. That is way different than 2.4 Ghz But, I admit that I forgot we were now transmitting at such high frequency (geez above the space band!). But I don't think it will be the frequency but the power that is the issue. Besides even if I am wrong, nothing is cheap in aviation. Even hand held transceivers cost more than equivalent ground based radios. And $2,000 aviation transponders would likely cost $200 if they were for civilian use.
As is typical with your responses you can't even tell the difference between Mode S and S Band. S Band is 2-4 GHz. Mode S is an aviation transponder mode, not a frequency band.

And 1030 MHz is 1.03 GHz and is L-Band.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:46 AM
rgburrill

Not everyone. I for one don't think it will be bad. We need to hold our ground now. Not give in to expensive measures that would be even more likely to kill our hobby.
I wouldn't mind seeing FPV costs skyrocket. I doubt that it would have a significant effect on our hobby at all. But I do think that $10,000 fines and some jail time will have an effect on blatant violations of our hobby's rules.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:49 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

I wouldn't mind seeing FPV costs skyrocket. I doubt that it would have a significant effect on our hobby at all. But I do think that $10,000 fines and some jail time will have an effect on blatant violations of our hobby's rules.
+2
Old 10-15-2015, 03:39 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

i dont belive everything i hear about drones
Old 10-15-2015, 05:24 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
i dont belive everything i hear about drones
Is this a drone?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/hoverboard-duru-1.3270569

Old 10-15-2015, 08:24 PM
Hydro Junkie

In a word, NO. Since it has someone on board, it cannot be referred to as a drone as drones are unmanned and either pre-programmed with flight instructions or remotely flown by a pilot someplace else.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 10-15-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

S band is the US is 2 to 2.36 Ghz Mode C is 1030 uplink and 1090 down link. I look this stuff up, not pretending to know it as you are.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:54 AM
Sport_Pilot

The FAA will not limit it to FPV this will be for all model aircraft, read the reports and you will see many reports of model airplane violations! They want to rule all.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:25 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

That's just not going to happen. And here I was thinking Flap was out of order earlier. Guess not.

The FAA has got more important issues on their hands then to make this so called "power grab". C'mon....
Old 10-16-2015, 07:18 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Drones required to be registered.....

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...stered-n446266

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.