Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I didn't realize that thermals do not exist below 400'. Nor did I realize that turbine and aerobatic flight is impossible below 400'. Physics and aerodynamics must not exist below 400'. Who knew.
The box used for aerobatic's is over 1000 feet high. Even the older pattern planes fly weil above 400 feet. See and avoid is the rule. No limit to altitude except near airports.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:15 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Yep, sorry, mis typed. Edited post

Been breathing lots of balsa dust today!
good thing balsa dust is not a carcinogen.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:48 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
good thing balsa dust is not a carcinogen.
Yeah, might want to read this...

http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/ic...-Wood_MSDS.pdf
Old 11-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

Drones are like guns...in the hands of responsible people they can both be a lot of fun.

In the hands of irresponsible people...well...you know the story.

As usual...a few rotten apples spoil it for everyone.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:48 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Gene Chernosky
Drones are like guns...in the hands of responsible people they can both be a lot of fun.

In the hands of irresponsible people...well...you know the story.

As usual...a few rotten apples spoil it for everyone.
That irresponsibility goes for anything from Guns ,Cars, motor cycles to women.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:50 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Women????? What could possibly go wrong with women??? <g>
Old 11-29-2014, 12:34 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tailskid
Women????? What could possibly go wrong with women??? <g>

Lol, now that is a can of worms! I think we will find a solution to this UAS, drone thing long before we solve that issue. : )
Old 11-29-2014, 01:02 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just remember there are three things that will permit a man to understand a women......trouble is, no one knows what those are!
Old 11-29-2014, 01:41 PM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by handyman
as we read each day the problems of dromes is hurting us all......
Is a "drome" kinda like a "drone"?
Old 11-29-2014, 01:44 PM
JoeEagle
My Feedback: (26)

Any comments on the AMA 's plans on requiring clubs to follow the to be released guidelines for contacting an airport if your club field is within 5 miles of an airport? And that it will be required for 2015 rechartering?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	2050880  
Old 11-29-2014, 01:50 PM
JoeEagle

http://www.modelaviationdigital.com/...e.action?pg=14

its page 12 of the latest issue
Old 11-29-2014, 05:01 PM
kingwrench
My Feedback: (6)

I have been in this Hobby for over forty years myself. I am a retired Marine. I am a pilot and own and maintain my own airplane. I have built and flown large scale rc aircraft. Helicopters. I build custom high end rc boats. That have been over 125mph. Turbines,nitro,gas,brushless to 15s. And now quad,hex,and octo copters I find them as the most technically challenging aspect our hobby has ever seen. We can hate it, or embrace it. I choose to embrace it for I enjoy a challenge, yes they are ugly but when you have spent many hours tweaking the settings and make a vibration free perfect video its a rewarding feeling. So lead, teach,instruct or get the hell out of the way.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:06 PM
binns aero

Well the way I read it, Follow new guidlines for 2015 re-charter, they will cover the correct procedures for dealing with the"special rule" that's not carved in stone yet.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:18 PM
lawrence b

Kingwrench, I have built 3 experimental airplanes, retired from the Air Force, and enjoy my little aspect of this hobby. I have no desire to "embrace" quad copters or the idiots that are making the news. I have done my share of leading and teaching, not all of us see those R/C things as a positive addition to this hobby.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:24 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by kingwrench
I have been in this Hobby for over forty years myself. I am a retired Marine. I am a pilot and own and maintain my own airplane. I have built and flown large scale rc aircraft. Helicopters. I build custom high end rc boats. That have been over 125mph. Turbines,nitro,gas,brushless to 15s. And now quad,hex,and octo copters I find them as the most technically challenging aspect our hobby has ever seen. We can hate it, or embrace it. I choose to embrace it for I enjoy a challenge, yes they are ugly but when you have spent many hours tweaking the settings and make a vibration free perfect video its a rewarding feeling. So lead, teach,instruct or get the hell out of the way.
Hopefully you will "lead, teach, and instruct" your peers to follow the rules. While I love new technology, and embrace as much as I need to, having been in this hobby a very long time, I have never seen a new aspect of it that posed such a detrimental effect on the entire hobby if not handled properly. Fly the H@LL out of your multi rotors, but please follow the rules.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:26 PM
Rob2160

Hopefully you will "lead, teach, and instruct" your peers to follow the rules. While I love new technology, and embrace as much as I need to, having been in this hobby a very long time, I have never seen a new aspect of it that posed such a detrimental effect on the entire hobby if not handled properly. Fly the H@LL out of your multi rotors, but please follow the rules.
+1
Old 11-29-2014, 05:32 PM
binns aero

Got you 5by5,Ps., I hate people like you who build such outstanding aircraft like that V-173, I been looking at plans for it in my desk for the past 2 years. AWSOME!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:03 PM
kingwrench
My Feedback: (6)

I am A Marine I always Lead! And the faults of few affect many.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:09 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by kingwrench
I am A Marine I always Lead! And the faults of few affect many.

That is good, as the problems we face are not with the technology, but the people using it.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:16 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by lawrence b
Kingwrench, I have built 3 experimental airplanes, retired from the Air Force, and enjoy my little aspect of this hobby. I have no desire to "embrace" quad copters or the idiots that are making the news. I have done my share of leading and teaching, not all of us see those R/C things as a positive addition to this hobby.
Thanks for Your service I have 4 years minus 1&1/2 hours in the USAF as a 44350Q that being said as I have said before we must if not embrace all typs of R/C or at least tolerate. Remember it a Divide and Conquer world we live in. People tend to discriminate things they don't do. i.e. 3D, Helis, Sail Planes, IMAC, Quads Even "LECTRIC" and don't for get FPV. I predict that all of this FAA crap will be just that sooner than most think, but that doesn't mean we don't have to be vigilant and ALL stick together.
Education of the Public and especially the non RC public is more impotent than ever. My winter club embraces the Intro Pilot program whole hardily to where we even supply a plane radios and instructor for 60 days, if need be. The more people U get to try RC the better off we are in the long run. I my self am starting to look into FPV. Have gotten Board (Just like I did with Full Scale) Just flying around in circles with the occasional touch and go or High speed pass. Telemetry is neat but after U find out that your different planes speeds and such it also get's boring.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:23 PM
binns aero

Well ok ,I'm ARMY!, 12 years to be exact. We picked up the busted stuff the Marines left behind. Lead, Follow, or Get Out Of The Way!, but remember you can't stop tech. And NO ONE can stop the hobby we love and the way we practice it.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:28 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Thanks for Your service I have 4 years minus 1&1/2 hours in the USAF as a 44350Q that being said as I have said before we must if not embrace all typs of R/C or at least tolerate. Remember it a Divide and Conquer world we live in. People tend to discriminate things they don't do. i.e. 3D, Helis, Sail Planes, IMAC, Quads Even "LECTRIC" and don't for get FPV. I predict that all of this FAA crap will be just that sooner than most think, but that doesn't mean we don't have to be vigilant and ALL stick together.
Education of the Public and especially the non RC public is more impotent than ever. My winter club embraces the Intro Pilot program whole hardily to where we even supply a plane radios and instructor for 60 days, if need be. The more people U get to try RC the better off we are in the long run. I my self am starting to look into FPV. Have gotten Board (Just like I did with Full Scale) Just flying around in circles with the occasional touch and go or High speed pass. Telemetry is neat but after U find out that your different planes speeds and such it also get's boring.
Getting bored is exactly why I have always gravitated toward competition.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:40 PM
JoeEagle

So do those new guidelines follow the public law or the interpretation of the public law??

Thoughts of if AMA guidance is no more than 400 feet within 5 miles of an airport or 400 feet everywhere??

Last edited by JoeEagle; 11-29-2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: multiple typos
Old 11-29-2014, 07:24 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The box used for aerobatic's is over 1000 feet high. Even the older pattern planes fly weil above 400 feet. See and avoid is the rule. No limit to altitude except near airports.
So I guess that it's impossible to redesign the competitive maneuvers so the box can be limited to 400' AGL?
Old 11-29-2014, 08:06 PM
JoeEagle

I certainly think that flight 400 feet below is possible, but not for IMAC or sailplanes or turbine or pattern aircraft. yeah, same physics. same fun.. no-not close. IMO.

just curious, what altitude do you think the Pattern, IMAC, non slope soaring aero tow and finally Turbines operate at as a nominal AGL altitude?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.