Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 10:19 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

BTW, I just read that the AMA membership is now the biggest it has ever been. This is fantastic news. Only through showing sheer numbers can the AMA protect our right to fly RC vehicles. The US Govt will often rather outlaw something than deal with it. But if there are enough of us "good guys" (AMA members) and we are organized we should have the strength to stay alive even with all the bad press. So I don't care what your friends fly, just try to convince them that they need to join the AMA to protect their hobby!
Old 11-28-2014, 10:52 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer
Without the ability to TRACE an offending drone back to the law breaking pilot, I see no possible way to regulate the activity. It is here to stay and FPV/drone activities are forever harnessed to model aviation.
I'm thinking the same thing. How can a 13 ounce quad be regulated any more than a 15 pound fixed-wing with a gas engine? The quad is no heavier than a foam park flyer. Any of these can have a Go Pro camera and down link installed. Go after quads first, then people will buy 'lectics and do the same thing. Only this time, WITHOUT a "return to home" feature. Lose orientation, and that .40 sized trainer will go where ever the heck it wants, and it won't care what it hits.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:54 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

duplicate post

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-28-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:01 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by husafreak
I would like to see a proposal for AMA club flying sites with published and enforced restrictions agreeable to the FAA put in place. I think we already have that but lets make it official and put them on the national airspace map.
So there would be a bubble of protected airspace over and around our hypothetical AMA club field. In it RC aircraft/helis/FPV/drones/rockets/whatever, are limited to "line of sight" distances from the pilot and out of full size aviation airspace. Roof is 400, feet max speed is 200 mph, diameter is 1/2 mile, something like that. Just like the national airspace restrictions around airports but for our tiny RC airfields. And at these fields we can do what we want, in our little bubble, with the FAA's blessing. Traditional RC flying can continue without worry at our club fields. FAA or government restrictions and police actions on unlawful model aircraft flying would not apply to us at our AMA sanctioned flying fields.
We need the AMA to protect our right to fly RC models and we have to disassociate ourselves from those who would cost us our right to fly by irresponsible acts outside of the AMA umbrella. The type of models flown is irrelevant. This is purely a safety, privacy, and security issue.
U sure can tell the people that have NO CONCEPT how the Air Traffic control system works. Just like any law enforcement it has a set of Laws (Rules). Law enforcement is after the fact only enforced after a Law is broken. If U look at FAR 91.119b are required to, Over an open air assembly of persons. maintain 1000' above the highest point with in 2000' horizontal of the aircraft. according to the person I talked to at the Phoenix FSDO flight safety district office, I asked what constitutes an open air assembly of persons. His answer was "For enforcement purposes if can be 2 people at a picnic in a park. This now makes it a requirement for all aircraft except when landing or taking off to be at least 1000' AGL. over your RC air field already. I'll gaurentee if any unnamed, man made something get's hit by a Full Scale plane it's not going to be the Full Scale pilots fault according to the NTSB or the FAA.

Now taking it a bit farther by Jan 1 2020 all air aircraft flying in controlled airspace must have an ADS-B
Automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast These things can be made so small that they could be carried by by our models and if a full scale aircraft were to see 4 or 5 blips on his ADS-B receiver going around in a circle in a confined area I'm sure they would avoid your RC Field.

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-28-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:15 AM
HoundDog

None of it matters When a Cessna 150 at 100 mph gets run over by an airliner traveling at 250 KTS the head lines read Little Piper Cup hits An Air Liner and kills 250 people. Not if but when a full scale collides with any thing RC the head lines will read "Drone takes down airliner ... Kills 250 people and 4 on the ground".
Yet Bird and other wildlife strikes to aircraft annually cause well over $700 million in damage to U.S. civil and military aviation. Furthermore, these strikes put the lives of aircraft crew members and their passengers at risk: over 250 people have been killed worldwide as a result of wildlife strikes since 1988. Just Google
number of aircraft bird strikes it's some real interesting reading.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:29 AM
airzona

You can't stop stupid, just regulate the educated.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:20 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by bradpaul
However:

Sec. 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Quote:
[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt2"]Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,500 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

So the solution is actually very simple, IF the concern of the FAA is safety.

As flying at a AMA club field would constitute an "open air assembly of persons" the minimum altitude for full scale must be 1500'. And as the FAA has now classified "model aircraft" as "Aircraft" then our flying fields need to be shown on sectional charts with a minimum altitude of 1500' within 5 miles of the center of the field.

After all we all want safety in the NAS don't we?
I think you'll find that the open air assembly will be a big hurdle. The establishment of the club field as an airport is possible, but will likely require both state and ultimately FAA approval. Since FAA would be aware of the pre-existing MTR, I suspect they'd deny the request. Additionally, FAA states in AIM that "Nonparticipating aircraft are not prohibited from flying within an MTR; however, extreme vigilance should be exercised when conducting flight through or near these routes."

I can't help but note the caution that civilian aircraft should exercise "extreme vigilance." With an already existing requirement for all RC aircraft to yield to full scale (all the time), and given that the MTRs are NOTAM'd, I suspect I know who would end up on the short end of the enforcement stick should a military jet on an MTR get hit by an RC plane even if that RC plane is flying from an RC field.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ntia90{image0}.gif
Views:	116
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	2050714  

Last edited by franklin_m; 11-28-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:33 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I think you'll find that the open air assembly will be a big hurdle. The establishment of the club field as an airport is possible, but will likely require both state and ultimately FAA approval. Since FAA would be aware of the pre-existing MTR, I suspect they'd deny the request. Additionally, FAA states in AIM that "Nonparticipating aircraft are not prohibited from flying within an MTR; however, extreme vigilance should be exercised when conducting flight through or near these routes."

I can't help but note the caution to civilian aircraft to exercise "Extreme vigilance." With an already existing requirement for all RC aircraft to yield to full scale, I suspect I know who would end up on the short end of the enforcement stick should a military jet get hit by an RC plane even if that RC plane is flying from an RC field.
According to the Phoenix FSDO as few as 2 people having a picnic in a park constitutes an open air assembly of persons.
We fly on a private restricted air strip (0WI8) as U know all air craft entering the pattern to land should (Must) be at pattern altitude (1000') AGL until in a position to start a decent to land. Exception if it's a towered airport and U are operating as on a circle to land after an instrument approach or operating on a special VFR Clearance to the airport.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Maximilionalpha

Originally Posted by GOGGLES PIZANO
Hello ....my two cents if you will.most people do not have a proper understanding about how serious this drone issue is.I live in new York and there have been at least five or six drone investigations concerning airline pilot reports of drone flying in airliner airspace.the last report a pilot says a drone at three thousand feet off his left wing near JFK.we are in big jepordy and it can get ugly real.fast for.all.of us.I feel.the Ama has dragged its feet.we. very well.may have a somewhat regulated hobby as we do fly aircraft.if one commercial aircraft smacks a drone the faa will be on us like a piranha.
Those are not drones! They are quadcopters/tri-copters/octocopters! The people that have labeled these rc aircraft, 'Drones', haven't a flying bone in their bodies. Before the military decided that it was okay to release the first, real drone(Predator UAV) to the rc community(some years ago), no one ever referred to an rc airplane, as a drone. Now, everything that can fly with a users input, from the ground, is considered a drone and all the media keeps doing,(just like it always does), is sensationalize on it. While I agree that no one should be even remotely close to any high traffic, commercial/private airport, I strongly disagree that there needs to be FAA, intervention, outside of that scope. What's going to end up happening, is that the government agencies, such as the NTSB/USDOT/FAA, are going to create underground rogue rc pilots, who will continue to fly as they please, but just not broadcasting it to the world. Just my thoughts on the matter!
Old 11-28-2014, 12:43 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by HoundDog
According to the Phoenix FSDO as few as 2 people having a picnic in a park constitutes an open air assembly of persons.
We fly on a private restricted air strip (0WI8) as U know all air craft entering the pattern to land should (Must) be at pattern altitude (1000') AGL until in a position to start a decent to land. Exception if it's a towered airport and U are operating as on a circle to land after an instrument approach or operating on a special VFR Clearance to the airport.
If you have to be at 1000 AGL except for takeoff and landing, then all aerobatics and flying by RC aircraft should be taking place above 1000 AGL or on a special VFR clearance?
Old 11-28-2014, 01:23 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by franklin_m

I can't help but note the caution that civilian aircraft should exercise "extreme vigilance." With an already existing requirement for all RC aircraft to yield to full scale (all the time), and given that the MTRs are NOTAM'd, I suspect I know who would end up on the short end of the enforcement stick should a military jet on an MTR get hit by an RC plane even if that RC plane is flying from an RC field.

Well which way does the FAA want it? Either Model Aircraft are a danger to full scale and therefore model aircraft fields SHOULD be on FAA sectional charts, or the danger is so minimal that full scale pilots do not need to know about model aircraft activities.

As for MTR's, yes it would be prudent for all AMA fields to see if their activities are in a MTR. As the AMA requires the GPS co-ordinates of insured club fields I would hope that somebody at AMA Headquarters is checking.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:44 PM
HoundDog

Well which way does the FAA want it? Either Model Aircraft are a danger to full scale and therefore model aircraft fields SHOULD be on FAA sectional charts, or the danger is so minimal that full scale pilots do not need to know about model aircraft activities.

As for MTR's, yes it would be prudent for all AMA fields to see if their activities are in a MTR. As the AMA requires the GPS co-ordinates of insured club fields I would hope that somebody at AMA Headquarters is checking.
That's a JOKE check out this http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx more than 25% of the clubs that list a GPS corridents with the AMA are wrong. I've found them at the officers home in the middle of a lake and the Atlantic ocean.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:33 PM
bradpaul

That's a JOKE check out this http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx more than 25% of the clubs that list a GPS corridents with the AMA are wrong. I've found them at the officers home in the middle of a lake and the Atlantic ocean.
And some here want to portray "drone" pilots as irresponsible, when it seems some AMA Club officers cannot even be trusted to give the AMA the correct co-ordinates for their club field.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:20 PM
franklin_m

Just my opinion, but I think that you can say that model aircraft operations can / might / could be a risk to full scale and yet still not list model airfields on sectional charts. To establish an airport requires overcoming a lot of hurdles, which creates ample opportunity for local zoning, surrounding public, state regulators, and federal regulators to say no. It's not without risk, as if you start the process say for a field that's already in operations, a change in zoning (to make an airfield) would likely require public comment period, which could bring out opponents. I could see some clubs trying to go this route and end up losing what they already have.

As for MTRs, I don't have the confidence that anyone has scrubbed the coordinates recently. Nothing to base that on except that it's one of those admin functions that fall by the wayside in all but the highest reliability organizations. I suspect you'll find many that are missing, wrong, and certainly very few scrubbed against MTRs, Class D, C, or even B airspace.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:05 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Like it or not the AMA has fully embraced the new technologies when flown for recreational use and within the guidelines of the AMA Safety Code and Documents 550, 551, 560, 570, 580. Flying within those guidelines will allow exemption from additional regulation per Sec 336 of PL 112-95.

As for those that are ignorant of the proper way to fly FPV and endanger the NAS, then bring down the wrath of the FAA and the legal system on them. If the pilot turns out to be an AMA member then the EC should expel them from membership. The way we save what er love to do is by following the rules and flying safely. Not by trying to ban a type of model aircraft.

So what are we gonna do to get these people to follow the rules? They are not doing it now. The guys I have seen that rogue flew at my club did not care about rules. I do not have a problem with drone, FPV, autonomous, if they follow the rules. But it has been my experience that they do not. Getting themselves in the news constantly does not help. So what do we do?
Old 11-28-2014, 04:12 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
Those are not drones! They are quadcopters/tri-copters/octocopters! The people that have labeled these rc aircraft, 'Drones', haven't a flying bone in their bodies. Before the military decided that it was okay to release the first, real drone(Predator UAV) to the rc community(some years ago), no one ever referred to an rc airplane, as a drone. Now, everything that can fly with a users input, from the ground, is considered a drone and all the media keeps doing,(just like it always does), is sensationalize on it. While I agree that no one should be even remotely close to any high traffic, commercial/private airport, I strongly disagree that there needs to be FAA, intervention, outside of that scope. What's going to end up happening, is that the government agencies, such as the NTSB/USDOT/FAA, are going to create underground rogue rc pilots, who will continue to fly as they please, but just not broadcasting it to the world. Just my thoughts on the matter!
As far as I knew, the original "Drone" was something used for target practice. Either towed behind another aircraft, or flown RC, all the way back in WW2. I think the term "Drone" has been incorrectly used for a long time now. I really would not consider a "Predator" type military UAS a drone, as it is not intended to be used as a target.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:41 PM
Maximilionalpha

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
As far as I knew, the original "Drone" was something used for target practice. Either towed behind another aircraft, or flown RC, all the way back in WW2. I think the term "Drone" has been incorrectly used for a long time now. I really would not consider a "Predator" type military UAS a drone, as it is not intended to be used as a target.
Drones were around, way before the 1900's. But the only difference, was the ones in the 1800's were hot air balloons, filled with bombs that were launched by France, when the winds were right, to float into Venice.Then we come to WW2, when Germany launched the buzz bombs at Europe. Even though the buzz bombs weren't autonomously piloted, but flew until their fuel ran out,but not long afterwards, the Germans developed a drone that was compass/gyro, guided. Sorry for talking your ears off!
Old 11-28-2014, 04:54 PM
HoundDog

Want to get on the sectional chart ... have some one erect a 2 or 300' Tower on the property. Not only will a symbol showing the MSL of the top but the height above ground of the tower. Also the property owner would get paid from the company using it. Just make sure they place it behind your flight line ... Bummer if it's in front.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:23 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you ever seen a sectional chart? It would be tough to get all the AMA fields on the maps much less all the outlaw sites. We as responsible modelers need to turn in the guys flying in the airport flight paths.

For the guys that have never flown FPV, I think that you need to accept the fact that big money is riding on these aircraft. They are simply wonderful aerial vehicles providing birds eye views that we cannot get in any other manner. The promise of the technology far exceeds the downside. Please don't stay sheltered and blinded by the old ways. There is so much world to be explored like a bird. There is room in that great big sky for some more aircraft if we are smart about it. They can be flown safely by the vast majority of people. As the technology develops, we need to adapt and adopt the latest safest aircraft we can design.

For every problem presented so far, I think the technology has answered with a fundamentally safe solution. Any technology can be misused in a criminal manner. Don't blame the technology for criminal activity. If you are flying and trying to hit a manned aircraft, I will report you.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:16 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
Drones were around, way before the 1900's. But the only difference, was the ones in the 1800's were hot air balloons, filled with bombs that were launched by France, when the winds were right, to float into Venice.Then we come to WW2, when Germany launched the buzz bombs at Europe. Even though the buzz bombs weren't autonomously piloted, but flew until their fuel ran out,but not long afterwards, the Germans developed a drone that was compass/gyro, guided. Sorry for talking your ears off!
Knowing some about the V1, they were actually set to travel a certain distance. They had a gyro to keep them stable, and when the trip odometer reached a certain distance, they hit down elevator. So they were not as haphazard as some may think. One of the ways they brought them down were the British Typhoon, where they would tip them over, getting under the wing tip. This threw the gyro out.

Last edited by vertical grimmace; 11-28-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:07 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace;11927025[COLOR=#b22222
]Knowing some about the V2, they were actually set to travel a certain distance[/COLOR]. They had a gyro to keep them stable, and when the trip odometer reached a certain distance, they hit down elevator. So they were not as haphazard as some may think. One of the ways they brought them down were the British Typhoon, where they would tip them over, getting under the wing tip. This threw the gyro out.
U mean the V1 the V2 was a more like a short range Rocket that actually left the atmosphere on an parabolic arc.
V2= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-2_rocket
V1= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_flying_bomb
Old 11-28-2014, 07:16 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

However:

Sec. 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Quote:
[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt2"]Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,500 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

As flying at a AMA club field would constitute an "open air assembly of persons" the minimum altitude for full scale must be 1500'. And as the FAA has now classified "model aircraft" as "Aircraft" then our flying fields need to be shown on sectional charts with a minimum altitude of 1500' within 5 miles of the center of the field.

+1
Old 11-28-2014, 07:30 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by ira d
+1

Actually FAR 91.119b reads 1000' above the highest object within 2000' of the full scale aircraft. Not a position on the ground. 2000' is less than 1/2 mile and much less than 5 miles.

On another point if model R/C planes quads ect are considered "AirCraft" and now subject to the FAR's there should have the same restrictions as full scale.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:19 PM
franklin_m

Actually FAR 91.119b reads 1000' above the highest object within 2000' of the full scale aircraft. Not a position on the ground. 2000' is less than 1/2 mile and much less than 5 miles.

On another point if model R/C planes quads ect are considered "AirCraft" and now subject to the FAR's there should have the same restrictions as full scale.
I'll be curious to see what happens when you try to get the airfield added to the sectional, or when you declare that two guys flying at the field constitute an open air assembly and that aircraft traffic patterns and MTRs need to be modified. Let me know how those work out for you.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:27 PM
vertical grimmace

U mean the V1 the V2 was a more like a short range Rocket that actually left the atmosphere on an parabolic arc.
V2= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-2_rocket
V1= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_flying_bomb
Yep, sorry, mis typed. Edited post

Been breathing lots of balsa dust today!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.