Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The MA mag for joining AMA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The MA mag for joining AMA

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:27 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't believe you guys have missed the most important reason for discontinuing the mag and that is all the dues money can be used to promote FPV and Drones Shields up Mr Scott, phazers on kill I love my foamies and my arf's for just what they are.... crash practice.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
...It's just to easy for some people to be negative, and paint everything in a negative, and more alarmingly, conspiratorial light.
What deems something as negative? I have often wondered about what is perceived as negative. If I state a fact about something, it could be deemed as a negative remark, yet I could making it in a positive light. Say I was doing a plane review and were to state, the plane had a small flaw in the design that made it difficult to control. Would that be a negative statement even though it is factual and given in a positive way to warn others of the design flaw?

The same standard could be applied to the AMA magazine. I may state something and not have a negative or positive thought about it so much as just pointing out a fact about somthing. Not implying anything just food for thought.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:16 AM
BobbyMcGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What deems something as negative are the thin-skinned people that get offended at anything. They are now creating the most soft & thin-skinned generation of people that will not be able to (or afraid to) speak their mind. Geeze! I just saw a news report about how much harm we are doing to our children when we buy them "Elf-on-the-Shelf." This is now controversial? Some wacko shrink is saying that it will bring paranoia to our kids because they could fear they are constantly watched! REALLY!!!!???? On that basis, we should also fear Santa because he knows when we are sleeping, awake, and are being bad or good!!!! ALERT ... Santa is watching you!!!! Doesn't that scare you???? So, Santa is a stalker!!!

So don't be negative. Don't call fat people fat, don't call handicapped people handicapped. Since when has that been "offensive?" What offends me are the people that get offended at things like this!

Instead of saying, "the plane had a small flaw in the design that made it difficult to control" say, "I saw an opportunity to add a feature I happen to like."
There ... that should quell the concerns of those fanatical thin-skinned ultra-conservative extremist paranoid people who are so easily offended.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:21 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by BobbyMcGee
I was reading (or at least glancing through) Model Aviation magazine for years before I finally gave up on it altogether sometime in 2009. To this day, I still hear enough of the club members complaining about the magazine and saying the same things as I wrote. The general sentiment I've heard is that the magazine is written for beginners coming into the hobby. So, with that, I don't waste my time reading MA because I get nothing out of it.

I don't feel that I need to state that I read any alternative publication, whether I do or not. That has no bearing on my statement that MA is useless.

I agree that MA should be switched to an internet publication, but the good ol' boys in the AMA wouldn't go for that because they want to use the magazine as a revenue source for their own personal/financial gain.
Things just might have changed in 6 years, but hey, if the others say otherwise, whatayagonnado? Do those folks also feel that the mag is such a great source of personal and financial gain for the good ol' boys in the AMA...that's a LOL'er right there for sure. Numbers, stats, proof, or just water cooler gossip?

Originally Posted by BobbyMcGee
What deems something as negative are the thin-skinned people that get offended at anything. They are now creating the most soft & thin-skinned generation of people that will not be able to (or afraid to) speak their mind. Geeze! I just saw a news report about how much harm we are doing to our children when we buy them "Elf-on-the-Shelf." This is now controversial? Some wacko shrink is saying that it will bring paranoia to our kids because they could fear they are constantly watched! REALLY!!!!???? On that basis, we should also fear Santa because he knows when we are sleeping, awake, and are being bad or good!!!! ALERT ... Santa is watching you!!!! Doesn't that scare you???? So, Santa is a stalker!!!

So don't be negative. Don't call fat people fat, don't call handicapped people handicapped. Since when has that been "offensive?" What offends me are the people that get offended at things like this!

Instead of saying, "the plane had a small flaw in the design that made it difficult to control" say, "I saw an opportunity to add a feature I happen to like."
There ... that should quell the concerns of those fanatical thin-skinned ultra-conservative extremist paranoid people who are so easily offended.
Dude...you're messing with Santa here....that's danger zone material!
Old 12-16-2014, 06:36 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bah Humbug!!!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:15 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Why can't they offer the magazine in a 3 ply, extra soft format...?
Old 12-17-2014, 03:45 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

i throw my book away when it comes it stinks
Old 12-17-2014, 04:36 AM
porcia83
Banned

Who sends a book?
Old 12-17-2014, 05:23 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by chopper52
+1 If you don't want the mag coming to you house, Have it sent to your computer and yes they do that... Read your renewal card, then if you don't want it
HIT THE DELETE BUTTON!!!!!!
Well let's see, the cost for membership with both the printed and online versions is $67.95. The cost for membership with either the printed magazine or online version is $58.00. Where is the $47.95 membership selection for just the online version ?
Why are the folks who don't want the printed magazine being forced to pay for /subsidize others who want or use it ?
If someone wants it then they should pay extra for it. If someone doesn't want it then they shouldn't have to pay for it.

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 12-17-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:34 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

If you just select the regular membership for $57.95 and go on to the next screens, one of the screens gives you the option of magazine, digital, or both. Your annual amount will then be adjusted for what you selected. Then you go to the check out area, and pay.

Greg
Old 12-17-2014, 05:41 AM
OldRookie

The digital edition is kind of a pain in the azz to view. I don't care much for the way the magazine is displayed. If you let your pointer enter the displayed page at all, it automatically zooms it in, and no adjustment for how much zoom, or adjusting the original screen size. If you click on the arrow to advance to the next page, and don't move your mouse pointer in time, it zooms the new page when it opens up. It was much quicker to page through the print edition. Because of this, I have gotten to the point of maybe looking at 4 issues a year.
A PDF would be easier to view.

Greg

Last edited by OldRookie; 12-17-2014 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:02 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

I am with OldRookie. The magazine is much better than digital media.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:20 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

just a guess here, but, i am imagining that the digital version still has all the useless advertising in it as well.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

it ain't that useless, someones buying the stuff.

But ya...I'm sure it's there!
Old 12-17-2014, 04:21 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Of course the ad's are in the digital version, its what pays for the majority of the cost of publishing the magazine
Old 12-18-2014, 08:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

Had to chuckle...today of all days I get selected at "random" to fill out an online survery of guess what...the AMA's Model Aviation Magazine. So I do it, it took about 5 minutes. I hit send, off it goes. An hour later another e-mail, oops, sorry, we sent you the wrong survey, can you do another.

Anyone else get a survey request?
Old 12-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If one bothers to look, somewhere in this collection of subjects, any aspect of the AMA you might disagree with will be fully and loudly covered. That's the bad part. The good part is, most model builders don't participate in these groups, the groups are a tiny minority. IF you feel your voice isn't being heard, it's because the majority that says nothing here is using their voices where they'll be heard. I'll be signing again in the spring, no mag, but not so much for content reasons as for a problem reading with eyes that don't work too well. Content, you can read or ignore, that's your choice. I personally have interest in the minus numbers about report of this or that arf, rtf or plug and play. But you do have the choice of mag or no mag. Complaining here is merely stirring a small group with discontent. Doesn't work.

Rich.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:31 PM
bullseye000

Originally Posted by OldRookie
The digital edition is kind of a pain in the azz to view. I don't care much for the way the magazine is displayed. If you let your pointer enter the displayed page at all, it automatically zooms it in, and no adjustment for how much zoom, or adjusting the original screen size. If you click on the arrow to advance to the next page, and don't move your mouse pointer in time, it zooms the new page when it opens up. It was much quicker to page through the print edition. Because of this, I have gotten to the point of maybe looking at 4 issues a year.
A PDF would be easier to view.

Greg
Sounds like an I/O error. I read the digital edition on an Ipad and it works a treat. Great for older eyes because I can zoom in or enlarge the type as I need it. As a bonus you can download the magazine in a pdf format if that floats your boat. Not being as short sighted as most of the other folks on these forums I also get the paper edition. My wife runs a school so I use my paper edition and any others I get from club members and send them to work with her. The kids get excited about them and actually fight over them. The kids have something to read and it helps keep them off the video games at least for a while. Hopefully some of them get interested and start a hobby that promotes a little thought.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:51 AM
OldRookie

How do you download the magazine in a PDF version?
I didn't see anything that said a PDF version was available.
I just pick the month and year I want to look at, and it brings up the default version of MA. There is no option to get it as a PDF.

Greg
Old 12-21-2014, 01:15 PM
bullseye000

Originally Posted by OldRookie
How do you download the magazine in a PDF version?
I didn't see anything that said a PDF version was available.
I just pick the month and year I want to look at, and it brings up the default version of MA. There is no option to get it as a PDF.

Greg

When you open the magazine with the online reader there is a download button on the toolbar at the top of the page all the way to the right.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	digi.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	529.0 KB
ID:	2056739  
Old 12-23-2014, 01:52 PM
OldRookie

There is a difference in what you see, according to which way you access the magazine.
You can access it by selecting Archive/Library, or by selecting Digital Edition.
These two ways of viewing MA are completely different in what you see on your screen when you view them.
I didn't even see the Digital Edition option because of the way I accessed the MA website.
I am including two screen captures showing how they look. The first picture is the Digital Edition, and the second the Archive/Library edition. The Archive/Library was the format I have been trying to view the magazine in. There was no option like you showed in your reply to my post in this edition. The screen is always in full screen mode, and can't be made any smaller, only larger.
Unfortunately it still doesn't change the content, so there isn't really anything that I would read. I prefer the digital edition, because it is quicker to browse through.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MA Good.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	2057285   Click image for larger version

Name:	MA Bad.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	2057286  

Last edited by OldRookie; 12-23-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:07 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the magazine. Of course it could be better with real build articles but times are changing. I read them when I have the time, usually in the bathroom.................