Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 06:55 AM
Duncman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Excused as requested. �� so no response to where you've been for 12 years on dues...guess it was ok to continue running the business with the same money coming in.
Guess I don't see a nominal increase as that important an issue.
Hear, hear. AMA has presented a valid case IMO, the increase is inline with inflation and changing times, bigger fish to fry, let's move on.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:02 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I would have no problem with the increase if were getting a better product but were not. The increase is due funding the "drone wars"
Mike
Nothing you've written do far points to any factual basis for that statement. The fact that this so called war has been going on for years now further disproves that assertion as well.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:04 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Nothing you've written do far points to any factual basis for that statement. The fact that this so called war has been going on for years now further disproves that assertion as well.
Well said.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:16 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Duncman
Hear, hear. AMA has presented a valid case IMO, the increase is inline with inflation and changing times, bigger fish to fry, let's move on.
After 41 pages, the only thing we can do is accept the fact that some folks are just never going to get it. Operating costs and inflation are a fact of life. You're right, bigger fish to fry elsewhere.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:44 AM
porcia83
Banned

Well hopefully the AMA will look to the membership to decide which of the bigger fish we will look to fry, and if they will be flour dredged or panko bread-crumed and fried, and will we use vegetable oil, or peanut oil. The membership should be polled, and a consensus reached. Otherwise, I'm going to say something fishy is going on.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:24 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Well hopefully the AMA will look to the membership to decide which of the bigger fish we will look to fry, and if they will be flour dredged or panko bread-crumed and fried, and will we use vegetable oil, or peanut oil. The membership should be polled, and a consensus reached. Otherwise, I'm going to say something fishy is going on.
It's not practical, logical, or reasonable, involve the entire membership in every decision. Isn't this why we have the AVP's in place?

Just look at number of members who participated in the 2015 election:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...5Election.aspx
Old 08-29-2015, 12:08 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

One thing one must realize about the AMA. It is not a democracy. Yes U can vote for those that Run the AMA. U can even wright letters, phone, or keep, badmouthing on RCU Forums, those that have been elected to make all the decisions. It's more or less run like the USA where We elect the Executive and Legislative Branch and they do dam well what they please. Once the vote is over they could give a crap about the voter. At least with the AMA it's only $17 not $17 Trillion.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:54 PM
rcmiket

Just how has it been going on for years? Nothing you have posted has convinced me otherwise.
Mike
Old 08-29-2015, 05:05 PM
porcia83
Banned

Just how has it been going on for years? Nothing you have posted has convinced me otherwise.
Mike

Not sure if you are joking or serious? If you really think 2015 is the only year the AMA has been working on the quad/drone issue, I'm beginning to understand now why you have this huge issue with a lack of communication with the AMA and it's leadership (but I don't think the issue is on their end). I thought you were tight with your local leadership....where have they been the past few years?

I'm thinking of all the complaints you've made about the time and effort and expenses the AMA has incurred on the drone issue in this thread and others, while simultaneously complaining that the dues increase (which hasn't happened yet) is solely for funding the "drone war". If this isn't the definition of cognitive dissonance, I don't know what is.

As for convincing you of anything, never has been nor will it be my goal. You've demonstrated a completely one sided -no room for considering any other information- the AMA is just plain ol bad in every way-and the end is near for the hobby perspective, at this point it's futile. If I have rose colored lenses on (as you've accused me of having before), at this point yours must be jet black blinders. As I've noted previously, we'll have to wait and see how this shakes out, but at this point nothing drastic is happening to the hobby, nor the AMA. If you can show me how anything that has happened to date, or will, has some time of adverse effect on the way you or your club has been flying, I'd love to hear it. I've flown all summer in 3 states at multiple clubs, not a thing is different so far.

Hows the planning going with you and the folks in your area w/r/t the AMA and reversing course on the "drone wars"? I would think if change is going to be needed, you would want to share that information with other districts that voted for the previous funding. So far I haven't heard any buzz about anything going on, in TX or elsewhere.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:11 PM
rcmiket

If i said it was black you'd swear it was white. You see it one way I see it another. Down the road one of us will be proven right..

Mike
Old 08-29-2015, 05:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

If i said it was black you'd swear it was white. You see it one way I see it another. Down the road one of us will be proven right..

Mike
Again, you're joking right? I think I'm as objective as it gets (and right too, but that's a whole nuther story ha)...but seriously, I haven't disagreed with anything you've shown as fact, in part because you haven't shown anything factual. It's sometimes labeled as factual, as others have indicated as well, but really it's opinion. In the most recent comments, you clearly indicate that the AMA dues are being raised to fight the "drone wars", that is just demonstrably wrong, and you've yet to admit that, or that anything else you've noted as fact is incorrect. You're demagoging the AMA and I won't join that bandwagon, but it's hardly a swearing black is white. I've highlighted what I thought could have, and can be done better, but I won't throw my hands up and declare all is lost. Life's to short for that angst and negativity, to many planes to fly.

Let's meet back along the way...who ever is closer to being right send the other some local brew. I'll shoot you my address in a PM, I'm partial to a pale ale thanks.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:56 PM
Duncman

Good grief, I'm going to go fry some fish.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:26 AM
porcia83
Banned

Maidening two planes today....fish tacos for lunch!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tacos.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	2117282  
Old 08-30-2015, 04:22 AM
HoundDog

Maidening two planes today....fish tacos for lunch!
If your going out to the field who's gona keep up the fight.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:50 AM
jayd3

I'd really like to see a break down of membership by age, because unless were bringing in the non balsa traditional modeller: foamie park fliers, drone fliers, non builders etc. I would think a good percentage of full member are seniors. Now having said that we must of course adapt to survive and us old stick builders are going to be a minority now and in the future that is something we just can't change. Perhaps a more comprehensive approach would be better :look at ad rates, corporate donations and not just from the few hobby retailers, a larger discount for seniors, a real look at the cost effectiveness of the money spent on lobbying etc. Not say not to do it but some of the biggest shysters in the world are lobbyist, having worked in government I know you can spend alot and get little if you don't know the right people etc.

A few things to think about
Jayd
Old 08-30-2015, 06:56 AM
jayd3

I for one would like to see sport flying drones somehow brought into AMA as they are the present and future in technology, while traditional airplane design and technology has changed little for a good while and generates little interest at large.

Jayd
Old 08-30-2015, 10:19 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
If your going out to the field who's gona keep up the fight.
Who's fighting? Gotta love wifi though when checking in from the field. Got three maidens done too....boy are we tired.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:11 AM
HoundDog

Who's fighting? Gotta love wifi though when checking in from the field. Got three maidens done too....boy are we tired.
Where's the Pics and the Video?
Old 08-30-2015, 12:33 PM
Duncman

Now we are talking, maiden flights, fish tacos, pics, videos, that is what Sundays are all about.

Jayd3, all that stuff has been hacked to death on previous pages, not trying to be negative but this has gotten so rhetorical to the point that folks are starting to get defensive and non-productive. Sorry, just my HO.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:27 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

How were the fish tacos?
Old 08-30-2015, 03:38 PM
porcia83
Banned

Oh my lord....were they ever tasty! Some jicama slaw and a touch of hand made salsa, just devine. We also had a grille going, some deutschmacher hot dogs and a few sausage and fresh gown onion and peppers on hard rolls too. Just barely managed to get some flying in. No pics/videos of maidens, guess our club frowns on it for superstitious reasons. Did the new giant scale T-28, A Dynam Hawk Sky, and a scratch built 55mm ducted fan profile jet. Not to many great weather flying days left in the Northeast.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:48 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Oh my lord....were they ever tasty! Some jicama slaw and a touch of hand made salsa, just devine. We also had a grille going, some deutschmacher hot dogs and a few sausage and fresh gown onion and peppers on hard rolls too. Just barely managed to get some flying in. No pics/videos of maidens, guess our club frowns on it for superstitious reasons. Did the new giant scale T-28, A Dynam Hawk Sky, and a scratch built 55mm ducted fan profile jet. Not to many great weather flying days left in the Northeast.
Sounds delish! I love fish tacos! No grilling at our field today, but I got out and managed to get in several flights.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:59 PM
porcia83
Banned

It was packed by 10 at our place. Best part of the day, a fellow came back after visiting a prior event. He looked into other clubs and came back to ours, he wants to get his grandson into the hobby. Both joined the AMA at our suggestion (most excellent). He brought an old super cub he got on Craigslist and was having trouble getting it to work. 3 guys descended on him, 20 minutes later, it's up in the air. An hour later, he goes to leave and his battery is dead. Another guy gives him a jump. That experience he had was better than any food we could have grilled up, or planes we could have flown. He's well into his 80's and getting back into the hobby, and has his grandson at his side to do it. THAT is worth a small dues increase to be part of.

FYI grilled fish mucho better than fried...
Old 08-30-2015, 04:43 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
We all have concerns, the sooner the FAA makes a few examples out of a few rogue operators the better off we'll be (hopefully).
If, and only IF, the entertainment media does not make those rogue operators out to be a trampled on heros just out trying to have fun, which is exactly what WILL happen if the event occurs on a slow news day. That scummy bunch just want to have some horse manure to feed the sheeple, and that story is at least a little better than Brian's complete fabrication because there is an element of truth to it...
Old 08-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

It was packed by 10 at our place. Best part of the day, a fellow came back after visiting a prior event. He looked into other clubs and came back to ours, he wants to get his grandson into the hobby. Both joined the AMA at our suggestion (most excellent). He brought an old super cub he got on Craigslist and was having trouble getting it to work. 3 guys descended on him, 20 minutes later, it's up in the air. An hour later, he goes to leave and his battery is dead. Another guy gives him a jump. That experience he had was better than any food we could have grilled up, or planes we could have flown. He's well into his 80's and getting back into the hobby, and has his grandson at his side to do it. THAT is worth a small dues increase to be part of.

FYI grilled fish mucho better than fried...
Just another example of why people are always more important than things. Good job!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.