Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:48 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
It's not that I don't care what you're reporting, I'm just analyzing the data used for the report. If you're the one doing the reporting then you need to acquire the data points.
Maybe I should spend 7 days at the LHS gathering data instead of just 4. Maybe I'll get more data that way. I really like being semi retired though so I don't think I really want too..

Mike
Old 08-18-2015, 12:17 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more things change...the more they stay the same.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...eases-ama.html

Same common themes presented here. Probably will be the same responses in 10 or more years, or the next time higher dues are put into place.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:04 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83

Same common themes presented here. Probably will be the same responses in 10 or more years, or the next time higher dues are put into place.
Wonder if that increase was also due to fighting government drone regulations....................................... ..................................................

Mike
Old 08-18-2015, 01:43 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Wonder if that increase was also due to fighting government drone regulations....................................... ..................................................

Mike
Why wonder? Find one data point and spin it!
Old 08-18-2015, 01:45 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

One more reason to become a life member now....
Old 08-18-2015, 01:48 PM
porcia83
Banned

Why wonder? Find one data point and spin it!
Arghhh Drone Bad....Arghh...AMA Bad......Argh....FAA Bad!

Old 08-18-2015, 01:51 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Repeat....
Old 08-18-2015, 01:54 PM
rcmiket

Repeat....
Excellent points gentleman. .

Mike
Old 08-18-2015, 02:18 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Expensive is a relative term. You can make as many excuses as you want, but maybe folks would simply rather be spending their time/money doing something else. Perhaps something they find more rewarding. What was different about this year's fun fly versus last year's fun fun? What was new and innovative? How as the audience engaged? One definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expect to get different results.
Neither event was to gain members it was for community relations. We provided information a fun experience and showed off some of our better pilots and their bigger planes. at the county airport event. At our local fun fly we were all about community relations Good Food for sale and a $3 parking donation. and a large Break Even Raffle. All the proceeds over $950 went to the local boy Scouts as they and their parents did the cooking and parking.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Neither event was to gain members it was for community relations. We provided information a fun experience and showed off some of our better pilots and their bigger planes. at the county airport event. At our local fun fly we were all about community relations Good Food for sale and a $3 parking donation. and a large Break Even Raffle. All the proceeds over $950 went to the local boy Scouts as they and their parents did the cooking and parking.
Same here ... We set up a tent with sims a Raffle for an Apprentice had guys explained quads and we flew everything all day at the county airport where not closed but the main runway was closed for construction. No new members from that. Then a couple of weeks ago we held our well advertized yearly fun fly. Very well attended both flyers and spectators and not one new member. Why because our hobby is expensive, takes dedication, ECT (Place list here). Even though the ama may have between 150K and 175K members, ask your self how many are really committed to the hobby. in the 5 clubs to witch i belong form 20 to 300 members maybe 25% are really dedicated. Look at the club where U fly and I;ll wager it the same guys doing 99% of the flying. There are a million reasons from work to honey do lists and just down right apathy for not participating a lot.

Don't forget even at 175k members the AMA is a very insignificant group of individuals.
Besides it looks like the T-Storms didn't materialize and the front is just coming into the other side of the state so maybe i'll go put in a couple of flights.
I see. So you didn't recruit one new member at your non-recruiting event. Makes sense....
Old 08-18-2015, 02:35 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Same here ... We set up a tent with sims a Raffle for an Apprentice had guys explained quads and we flew everything all day at the county airport where not closed but the main runway was closed for construction. No new members from that. Then a couple of weeks ago we held our well advertized yearly fun fly. Very well attended both flyers and spectators and not one new member. Why because our hobby is expensive, takes dedication, ECT (Place list here). Even though the ama may have between 150K and 175K members, ask your self how many are really committed to the hobby. in the 5 clubs to witch i belong form 20 to 300 members maybe 25% are really dedicated. Look at the club where U fly and I;ll wager it the same guys doing 99% of the flying. There are a million reasons from work to honey do lists and just down right apathy for not participating a lot.

Don't forget even at 175k members the AMA is a very insignificant group of individuals.
Besides it looks like the T-Storms didn't materialize and the front is just coming into the other side of the state so maybe i'll go put in a couple of flights.
I see. So you're surprised you didn't recruit one new member at your non-recruiting event. Makes sense....
Old 08-18-2015, 04:00 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

I see. So you didn't recruit one new member at your non-recruiting event. Makes sense....
Nope1 thanks for asking there Ace Dud:
Old 08-18-2015, 04:48 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

i just paid for my 2 yrs in advance after that iam done flying iam 83 now been flying since 1945
Old 08-18-2015, 07:29 PM
Duncman

I'm always amazed by all the individuals who can so accurately predict the future, but can never come up the winning lottery numbers.... Coincidence?

Never say never....
Never is a long time, a lot can happen. My very accurate prediction, now I'll go buy a lotto ticket.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:24 AM
rcmiket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGtqVLMGV74

For all who believe that everything is just wonderful and there's no problem. Why not just pack up and move along nope he had to prove just how stupid he is although some may think he's a hero.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-19-2015 at 04:33 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:10 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGtqVLMGV74

For all who believe that everything is just wonderful and there's no problem. Why not just pack up and move along nope he had to prove just how stupid he is although some may think he's a hero.

Mike
What's your point? The police did the right thing. If he is an AMA member he's in violation of the safety code and should have never been flying there in the first place.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:11 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Anybody watch that video? The guy wants to be confrontational. A good example of an idiot quadcopter flyer. So because of idiots like that, we have to pay more for our license. Where is the justice?
Old 08-19-2015, 05:13 AM
rcmiket

What's your point? The police did the right thing. If he is an AMA member he's in violation of the safety code and should have never been flying there in the first place.
Really? The idiot in the video is the whole point that's why I attached it. Guys like that make it impossible for the AMA to win the fight.

Mike
Old 08-19-2015, 05:16 AM
porcia83
Banned

LoL...is that the best you can do to try to drive a point home, and it's not even on topic for the thread? Drop it in "another drone pilot does it again".

FYI who are the people that think everything is wonderful and there is no problem? Haven't seen 'em in this thread. FWIW the posts in the guys Youtube thread were more against him than for him.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:21 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Anybody watch that video? The guy wants to be confrontational. A good example of an idiot quadcopter flyer. So because of idiots like that, we have to pay more for our license. Where is the justice?
You're right on him being confrontational. In this day and age what person would fly something like that over a military installations/equipment and not expect to get questioned?

Where though do you arrive at the conclusion that our dues increase is solely attributed to that kind of flier? You're aware of how long it had been since the dues had been adjuster previously?
Old 08-19-2015, 05:25 AM
rcmiket

LoL...is that the best you can do to try to drive a point home, and it's not even on topic for the thread? Drop it in "another drone pilot does it again".

FYI who are the people that think everything is wonderful and there is no problem? Haven't seen 'em in this thread. FWIW the posts in the guys Youtube thread were more against him than for him.
I'm not surprised one bit by your response. There is no point here we are all losers due to this type of behavior and no amount of money thrown at it will remedy it.
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-19-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:31 AM
porcia83
Banned

I'm not surprised one bit by your response. There is no point here we are all losers due to this type of behavior and no amount of money thrown at it will remedy it.
Mike
Nor am I by your inability to point out all these people who think things are wonderful and there are not problems. Meh..

You can pull up a thousand videos on Youtube of people flying outside of the AMA suggested parameters, not sure how that makes any of us "losers" in the grand scheme of things.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:34 AM
porcia83
Banned

I didn't watch the whole video...5 minutes in was enough hearing him ramble on. He lacked common sense, and appeared to be looking for a fight, because of his "rights". from what I saw the cops were reasonable with him. If he broke the law, he should be held accountable and punished, no question. It's a great example of how something shouldn't be done.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:14 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Really? The idiot in the video is the whole point that's why I attached it. Guys like that make it impossible for the AMA to win the fight.

Mike
AMA already won the fight. They have a published safety code in place that all members agreed to follow when they joined the AMA.

You're never going to be able to stop individuals like that so please post your point in the "other" thread so we can stay on topic here.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:17 AM
rcmiket

AMA already won the fight. They have have a published safety code in place that all members agreed to follow when they joined the AMA.

You're never going to be able to stop individuals like that so please post your point in the "other" thread so we can stay on topic here.
This is the correct thread the dues increase is directly related to "drones"
"We have had to spend
more than $1 million on
government relations to keep
model aviation free of onerous
restrictions and regulations.
We have recently hired a
public relations fi rm to help
promote model aviation in
the media and to limit bad
press caused by irresponsible
operations by nonmembers."

What's not on topic and who are you to decide? Since the video I linked too shows a irresponsible operator what's the problem? Please explain why it's off topic. It's exactly why were (the AMA) is spending the money isn't it? If you feel it's inappropriate feel free to report the post.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-19-2015 at 06:23 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.